• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UFC 197

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never forget Silva snapping his leg on Weidman's check. One of those moments you cant help but recall every detail when you wish you couldn't.

Maybe so, but it also gave Weidman the belt which as a fellow Hofstra grad(yes I root for guys like him and Gian Villante), I CERTAINLY wasn't complaining about it :suds: lol

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so, but it also gave Weidman the belt which as a fellow Hofstra grad(yes I root for guys like him and Gian Villante), I CERTAINLY wasn't complaining about it :suds: lol
Oh yeah I was happy to see Weidman win and enjoyed that but the leg break is the part that is rough. His KO of Silva in their 1st fight was absolutely awesome!

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of the main event, the main card was really good. Anyone calling it akin to a fight night card doesn't know what they are watching.

You had:

-P4P Champ demolishing an undefeated Olympic gold medalist.
-Two elite strikers trading shots in the Pettis/Barbosa match that had Barbosa destroying Pettis' leg.
-A back & forth slug match between Whittaker & Natal.
-Young prospect Yair Rodríguez with brutal flying head kick KO.

Unless you are a casual fan just watching for the main event, I am not sure what you are looking for in a main card.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of the main event, the main card was really good. Anyone calling it akin to a fight night card doesn't know what they are watching.

You had:

-P4P Champ demolishing an undefeated Olympic gold medalist.
-Two elite strikers trading shots in the Pettis/Barbosa match that had Barbosa destroying Pettis' leg.
-A back & forth slug match between Whittaker & Natal.
-Young prospect Yair Rodríguez with brutal flying head kick KO.

Unless you are a casual fan just watching for the main event, I am not sure what you are looking for in a main card.
I was talking about the main event. It sucked the life out of the crowd and it had a Fight Night feel.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about the main event. It sucked the life out of the crowd and it had a Fight Night feel.

Yeah, the fight was boring as shit. But what did fans think was going happen? One guy hasn't fought in 16 months while the other guy took the fight on 3 weeks notice to face an all time great fighter. It's either have this fight or have DJ main event. For whatever reason, people don't pay to watch DJ.

There is really nothing the UFC can do about about these match-ups if a fighter falls out. You can't just pay for backups to train or schedule a backup fighter to fight someone else on the card unless needed for the main event. There are far too many events & other competing factors to do that.

The problem is with the fighters themselves & specifically camps like AKA(American Kickboxing Academy) who don't evolve their training & seemingly have a revolving door of injured fighters who back out of fights.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the fight was boring as shit. But what did fans think was going happen? One guy hasn't fought in 16 months while the other guy took the fight on 3 weeks notice to face an all time great fighter. It's either have this fight or have DJ main event. For whatever reason, people don't pay to watch DJ.

There is really nothing the UFC can do about about these match-ups if a fighter falls out. You can't just pay for backups to train or schedule a backup fighter to fight someone else on the card unless needed for the main event. There are far too many events & other competing factors to do that.

The problem is with the fighters themselves & specifically camps like AKA(American Kickboxing Academy) who don't evolve their training & seemingly have a revolving door of injured fighters who back out of fights.
I agree the problem with injuries has a lot to do with the way they train. It's amazing to hear how some fighters get hurt doing shit they should have no part in a week from a fight.

I do think their should be some type of backup plan for injury replacements and of coarse I mean for the co-main or main event only. Just makes sense to me to have a little insurance for the millions invested into every event. Its surprising when you hear how many fighters pass on an opportunity to take a short notice fight with a belt at stake these days. A high ranking contender passing is understandable but compared to the good ol' days 10+ years ago, nobody turned down fights. So few events compared to today had a lot to do with it but back then it was easy to find a replacement fighter that wasn't a downgrade from the original matchup.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think their should be some type of backup plan for injury replacements and of coarse I mean for the co-main or main event only. Just makes sense to me to have a little insurance for the millions invested into every event. Its surprising when you hear how many fighters pass on an opportunity to take a short notice fight with a belt at stake these days. A high ranking contender passing is understandable but compared to the good ol' days 10+ years ago, nobody turned down fights. So few events compared to today had a lot to do with it but back then it was easy to find a replacement fighter that wasn't a downgrade from the original matchup.

There are many reasons fighters turn down fights on short notice. The main reason is that it can effect their future earnings if they were to get beat convincingly. Or they look like complete shit due to a severe weight cut.

There just aren't enough guys like Cerrone who stay in shape all year round so they can fight on a moment's notice. Too much weight cutting is involved with the sport.

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tell you what, the women's fights are usually 100% action because they are a few years behind the men so they fight more like things used to be in the UFC years ago.

I think that's largely a product of weight class. There aren't many boring men's fights at the lighter weights either. That's part energy output, part threat level. I also think the women feel like they have a lot more to prove in a male dominated sport of aggression, violence, etc. (i.e., not what's expected of women).

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never forget Silva snapping his leg on Weidman's check. One of those moments you cant help but recall every detail when you wish you couldn't.

You know, watching this fight I wondered how people don't snap their leg in MMA more often. MMA is pretty brutal, like those women in that video, you can still get a few punches off on someone who's knocked out cold. And the elbows Jon Jones was throwing as well - pretty vicious.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's largely a product of weight class. There aren't many boring men's fights at the lighter weights either. That's part energy output, part threat level. I also think the women feel like they have a lot more to prove in a male dominated sport of aggression, violence, etc. (i.e., not what's expected of women).

Yeah I think you are right. That likely has a lot to do with it. A few years ago, I never thought I would care to watch womens MMA but the ladies these days know how to put on a great fight.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSP was able to check most of the leg kicks Jones threw tonight. Cant believe both fighters werent more aggressive in the 5th.

Let's be honest; OSP stopped being aggressive the moment the bell rung to start the fight. lol

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest; OSP stopped being aggressive the moment the bell rung to start the fight. lol
He came out of the 4th round with a little extra spring in his step so I figured he was maybe trying to conserve his energy in rounds 1-3. I was wrong. So very wrong. :L

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, watching this fight I wondered how people don't snap their leg in MMA more often. MMA is pretty brutal, like those women in that video, you can still get a few punches off on someone who's knocked out cold. And the elbows Jon Jones was throwing as well - pretty vicious.

That actually doesn't surprise me at all. The leg bones are very strong/durable. Silva's leg breaking the way it did was freaky as hell. Kinda wonder if there was some existing damage that had gone undetected.

I'm surprised we don't see more broken hands/fingers from blocking kicks.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He came out of the 4th round with a little extra spring in his step so I figured he was maybe trying to conserve his energy in rounds 1-3. I was wrong. So very wrong. :L

I think OSP just took the payday. Can't really blame him. He was the #6 fighter in LHW and wasn't getting a shot any time soon. Who knows, maybe he can get a lucky shot? Why not give it a go. And Bones admitted postfight that he was just sandbagging saying he trained for DC, wants to fight DC, and knew all he had to do was survive this fight to get back to DC. In a way, UFC just should have scrapped the fight. The card was strong enough to survive but at least it let Jones work off some rust

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many reasons fighters turn down fights on short notice. The main reason is that it can effect their future earnings if they were to get beat convincingly. Or they look like complete shit due to a severe weight cut.

There just aren't enough guys like Cerrone who stay in shape all year round so they can fight on a moment's notice. Too much weight cutting is involved with the sport.
I'm all for same day weigh in's. The problem, of course, is that if a guy comes in over, he'd have to try and cut weight the same day of the fight. I'd have no problem with that either, as there is no excuse to miss your weight IMO. My son has had 5 ammy fights and has never missed weight, despite cutting 25-30 lbs each time. I hate the physical toll weight cutting takes on your body, and the truth is, it is as dangerous as the fight itself. Unfortunately, until there is a different rule in place, you really have no choice but to cut it, unless you want to be at a huge size disadvantage in your bout. Look at Phil Brooks(CM Punk), a ''Pro'' Wrestler who was, what, 215 lbs...he talked openly about fighting at 185...until he got in an MMA gym and was that 185ers were really 215-220 lb guys with a 6% body fat....started training for 170 real quick lol

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Broken arm.