• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyreek Hill cost Vikings' Sherels $100K with return

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn the luck

Tyreek Hill cost Vikings' Sherels $100K with return

Adam Vinatieri isn't the only guy to lose out on huge payday on the final day of the season.

Vikings return man Marcus Sherels was on his way to finishing his season as the league leader in punt return average. That distinction would trigger a $100,000 escalator in the two-year deal he signed with Minnesota last March.

But something happened on Sherels' way to the bank. Later in the day, Tyreek Hill, the man of a million highlights, fielded a punt deep in Chiefs territory and took it to the house for a 95-yard touchdown. That jaunt jumped his punt return average from 13.1 to 15.2 -- comfortably ahead of Sherels 13.9 average.

Field Yates @FieldYates
Tyreek Hill's TD Sunday cost Vikes DB Marcus Sherels $100k. Sherels had bonus for leading NFL in punt return avg. Hill's TD moved him ahead.

Vinatieri lost out on $500K when he went wide right against the Jags, which is terrible. That said, Vinatieri has played 21 seasons and made many millions in salary and endorsements. Sherels is hardly destitute -- his most recent contract included $1.5 million in guaranteed money -- but you can imagine the setback stuck to his ribs a little bit longer.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus is a good guy and a class act. He missed a few games, so that could have helped him, but I doubt it by that much. He got beat out by a better player, it happens. He'll be alright.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will not take the bait, I will not take the bait, I will not take the bait...

I just find it peculiar that there is so much uproar over Joe Mixon while Tyreek has apparently completely shed that burden already just by being good. Somewhere, Ray Rice is shaking his head.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad for Marcus Sherels, but at least he can fall back on the fact that he's not a pregnant-woman beating scumbag, unlike Hill.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just find it peculiar that there is so much uproar over Joe Mixon while Tyreek has apparently completely shed that burden already just by being good. Somewhere, Ray Rice is shaking his head.

I've always said since Hill was drafted that if his incident came out on video he would not be in the league. Whoever would draft him would be ripped apart for having such a player. Video just seems to make it worse for people. I would think reading the report of what happened would be enough but I guess not. So yes for Mixon he is getting that same Ray Rice type treatment where right now teams view him as untouchable. Have to see after another year separated from the video and him dominating for Oklahoma if teams still view him that way come next April.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tends to happen when you are playing at Weat Alabama instead of OU two plus years removed. Sad but true.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's very simple, we're a visual society. If Hill was caught on tape, he probably doesn't get drafted at all and he's washing cars for a living.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that really has to hurt bad.... But he is handling it with class.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very simple, we're a visual society. If Hill was caught on tape, he probably doesn't get drafted at all and he's washing cars for a living.
Apparently Mixon is entering the draft, so we're going to see if this theory holds up. Given the actions of NFL teams in the past, I am cynical.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not just good. But by being awesome, explosive and exciting.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a bit more than that. Women have a lot bigger voice than they used to.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just good. But by being awesome, explosive and exciting.

That just goes to show the BS the NFL and media spew about DV. If Ray Rice was 26 when he made his mistake, he'd have a starting job the next year. It's all about production over real world concerns, no matter how much they try to spin it.

Mixon is entering the draft, so we'll have to deal with this overhyped outrage longer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's part of it, but so much is forgiving if you're an elite talent. If Ray Rice was still in his prime, he'd have a starting job today. How many chances do these guys get, DV or drugs, if they're talented? Teams keep trying to mine that talent.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That just goes to show the BS the NFL and media spew about DV. If Ray Rice was 26 when he made his mistake, he'd have a starting job the next year. It's all about production over real world concerns, no matter how much they try to spin it.

Mixon is entering the draft, so we'll have to deal with this overhyped outrage longer.

Yup. It's football. I'd like to watch the best players. If Hill wasn't in the league this year that harms every single fan.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all depends, really. Word was that a lot of teams took Hill completely off their draft boards, and we all know it wasn't due to a lack of talent. But all it takes is one team that decides the talent outweighs the issue, and they'll have a job.

As others have noted, with Ray Rice he was a marginal player at that point in his career, combined with the video he was untouchable.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. It's football. I'd like to watch the best players. If Hill wasn't in the league this year that harms every single fan.

Instead he just hurts the image of the league in the eyes of the general public (and advertisers).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead he just hurts the image of the league in the eyes of the general public (and advertisers).
He does but at what point do we just stop having a judicial system?

We are a nation of laws, not media mob rule. He obviously did something pretty awful but is he not allowed a 2nd chance? I think the notion that he can't get a job as an NFL player but can get a job flipping burgers seems a bit like job shaming.