• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two 1,000 yard receivers

WHIZENATOR

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Floyd is tearing up camp so far. Will this be the year we get back to having two 1,000 yard receivers? Hopefully, the emergence of Floyd will free up Fitz from double and triple teams and prevent teams from stacking the box against the run. Getting pumped for the season!!

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Floyd is poised to have a breakout season. He not only has a new quarterback but a new offensive system that could really work in his favor. Carson Palmer will get him the ball, what he does with it is up to him! Ball is in your court, Floyd! I hope he has a great season! Geaux red birds!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my doubts. Notre Dame and over-rated pretty much mean the same thing. Floyd decimated inferior opponents in college, so him tearing it up in practice doesn't give me a ton of hope just yet. Last year against actual NFL teams he was completely useless. There were weeks that went by where I wasn't even sure he was on the roster. Granted, AZ didn't have a QB that should be in the NFL after Week 4 throwing to him most of the time, but still...I'll give him one more year to prove he's not a bust.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my doubts. Notre Dame and over-rated pretty much mean the same thing. Floyd decimated inferior opponents in college, so him tearing it up in practice doesn't give me a ton of hope just yet. Last year against actual NFL teams he was completely useless. There were weeks that went by where I wasn't even sure he was on the roster. Granted, AZ didn't have a QB that should be in the NFL after Week 4 throwing to him most of the time, but still...I'll give him one more year to prove he's not a bust.

Wow, you are a bitter fan. You seem to be a glass if half empty kind of guy. WR rarely make huge impacts in their rookie years. We was 3rd or 4th on the depth chart last year when the season started with Roberts and Doucet ahead of him. He had the worst QBs in the NFL throwing the ball to him. With all that, you expected more? Fitz had his worse season as a pro last year. Is he washed up? Fitz better return to form this year to prove to me he still has it. (That was sarcasm if I didn't lay it on thick enough). Look, I wasn't a fan of the pick, but to say that a guy has to have a high level of success playing a difficult position that relies heavily on QB play in his second season or he is a bust is setting your expectations a little too high.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is pretty harsh... considering that Larry Fitzgerald played for Pittsburgh (Not really a powerhouse, playing powerhouse competition). Floyd did about what ever rookie WR is supposed to do, he progressed as the season went on, and that was with OUR QB, and OUR OL last year... so he probably did better than should have been expected for him.

WR is one of the hardest postions to make an impact as a Rookie. It takes too many things to go right before a WR can put up good numbers.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Floyd is ready to have a breakout season... towards the end of last year he showed some flashes of the type of talent he has. He could take a TON of pressure off Fitz this year.... him succeeding will be key if we want a chance to make a run at a WC or playoff spot.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect any first round draft pick to make an immediate impact. Hence, first round pick. I wasn't expecting Floyd to have 1400 yards receiving and 12 TDs by any means, and I get that he had a carousel of turds (minus Kolb for 4 games) throwing him the ball...but he was completely useless.

To be positive, a few of his catches last year were absolutely insane. He's obviously got talent. But he's had his share of issues and there are legitimate questions about the guy...hoping he's a beast this year with Palmer at the helm...just not drinking the Kool-Aid as hardcore as others just yet.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can believe two 1000 yard receivers... especially since Carson Palmer is the QB. Be real, this would not be possible with Derek Anderson, John Skelton or Kevin Kolb at the helm. Carson Palmer will turn this team around.

NFC west is so much better... I like.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I missing something? Is Carson Palmer the second coming of Kurt Warner? Not to be Debbie Downer, but why does every one think Palmer is going to come in and light it up? He has been an average QB for 5 seasons. Now, because he is a Cardinal, he returns to pro bowl form? I do believe the Cardinals are going to be much better than last year, but mostly because they will have 4 guys starting on the OL opening day that didn't start on the OL opening day last year, with C being the only returning starter. That will make Palmer look WAY better by itself. Now I do believe Palmer is an upgrade, but really ask yourself. Is he THAT much better than Kolb? I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I missing something? Is Carson Palmer the second coming of Kurt Warner? Not to be Debbie Downer, but why does every one think Palmer is going to come in and light it up? He has been an average QB for 5 seasons. Now, because he is a Cardinal, he returns to pro bowl form? I do believe the Cardinals are going to be much better than last year, but mostly because they will have 4 guys starting on the OL opening day that didn't start on the OL opening day last year, with C being the only returning starter. That will make Palmer look WAY better by itself. Now I do believe Palmer is an upgrade, but really ask yourself. Is he THAT much better than Kolb? I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it.

The thing is, all he has to do is come in and be "average". The Cardinals QB's have been absolutely atrocious the past few years. The OL is MUCH improved and while Palmer is by no means a top 10 QB he certainly is a monster upgrade over what we've had in recent years. Giving him Fitzgerald and Floyd to play with will only make him better.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we are talking strictly about if we will have 2 1,000 yard receivers, Palmer is more than capable of doing that. Its the second receiver that will have to prove himself. If Palmer comes in and does what he did in his last 2 years of playing, that would be plenty of yards for 2 receivers put up good numbers. Warner threw for less yards and had 2 recievers hit 1000+ for us in 2009, but he had Boldin as his number 2.

Now if we are talking about if Palmer can lead us to wins..... well that's another story.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 1,000 yards recievers is a lot to ask for but hes looking good in camp I think our corners are also looking pretty good. Peterson has been locking up Larry and Floyd but Larry and Floyd have made some moves on him. Its good to see Peterson more up in the grill of players rather than given up to much cushion. Mathieu looks good at safety but is making some mistakes like the practice on saturday so it should be interesting Safety is a tough position to get use to especially at the nfl level but so far Tyrann looks better than even Adrian did when he was a rookie and Adrian made some bone head plays as a rookie. I think our line could be better but Jonathon Cooper I think is for real.

WHIZENATOR

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I'm not saying he will come in and lead us to the Super Bowl like Warner. I just think with how Bruce Arians runs an offense, it sets up perfectly for Carson Palmer's skill set, and we have one elite WR that will draw enough coverage to open up the field for another talented young WR like Floyd to be able to make a huge jump in production this year. Hell, I've heard Arians say that he thinks Housler will catch around 80 balls this year. Do I believe Housler will? Probably not, but if he does than maybe our two 1,000 yard WR would be a TE and WR. I think Palmer is going to throw for a TON of yards this year, but with all those yards will come a lot of INT's as well.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is much better than Kolb and you have to remember, the offensive talent in Oakland wasn't all that great. I hope I am right for the sake of Fitz, such talent that is being wasted.

arvi_mu

Cards fan for Life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, all he has to do is come in and be "average". The Cardinals QB's have been absolutely atrocious the past few years. The OL is MUCH improved and while Palmer is by no means a top 10 QB he certainly is a monster upgrade over what we've had in recent years. Giving him Fitzgerald and Floyd to play with will only make him better.

I expect average play from Palmer, and that is an upgrade. But the only way he even plays average is with an improved OL. What I am talking about is posts (not all on this thread) that say things like Palmer turning the team around and how much better the receivers will be with Palmer. Palmer this and Palmer that. QB was awful last year, I agree. But the the receivers were also awful. Most would say that was because the QB was so bad, which I agree. But I also believe the QB play was so bad because the OL was that bad. Now Skelton and Lindley weren't good even when they had time. Kolb was average last year when healthy. The problem is, he was never healthy. Good move to let him go. My point is the WRs will improve this year more because of the OL improvement, which will lead to better QB play. Palmer is an average QB at this point. Not that much of an upgrade over Kolb. But it will be nice if he can stay healthy. Would love to see a Cardinal QB start 16 games.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect any first round draft pick to make an immediate impact. Hence, first round pick. I wasn't expecting Floyd to have 1400 yards receiving and 12 TDs by any means, and I get that he had a carousel of turds (minus Kolb for 4 games) throwing him the ball...but he was completely useless.

To be positive, a few of his catches last year were absolutely insane. He's obviously got talent. But he's had his share of issues and there are legitimate questions about the guy...hoping he's a beast this year with Palmer at the helm...just not drinking the Kool-Aid as hardcore as others just yet.

First of all your point about 1st round draft picks is weak. How many thousands of first round draft picks have NOT worked out?

Lets put it into perspective:

L. Fitzgerald Rookie Year: 58 receptions 780 receiving yards 8 TD's
C. Johnson Rookie Year: 48 receptions 756 receiving yards 4 TD's
M. Floyd Rookie Year: 45 receptions 562 receiving yards 2 TD's

Keep in mind, I don't know how many snaps each one of these guys played, but I can almost guarantee, Floyd's was the lowest by far.

With the crap QB situation last year, Floyd's stats aren't that bad. I understand your scepticism, but I too believe Floyd will have a much better season. Also, I think most people would agree that the Cardinals have the best receiving corp in the division.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all your point about 1st round draft picks is weak. How many thousands of first round draft picks have NOT worked out?

Lets put it into perspective:

L. Fitzgerald Rookie Year: 58 receptions 780 receiving yards 8 TD's
C. Johnson Rookie Year: 48 receptions 756 receiving yards 4 TD's
M. Floyd Rookie Year: 45 receptions 562 receiving yards 2 TD's

Keep in mind, I don't know how many snaps each one of these guys played, but I can almost guarantee, Floyd's was the lowest by far.

With the crap QB situation last year, Floyd's stats aren't that bad. I understand your scepticism, but I too believe Floyd will have a much better season. Also, I think most people would agree that the Cardinals have the best receiving corp in the division.

I don't think most people would agree with that. I think everyone agrees Fitz is the best WR in the division, but I don't think there is a clear winner between Harvin/Rice/Tate, Crabtree/Boldin/Manningham, and Fitzgerald/Floyd/Roberts.. I don't think thats a clear win for Arizona at all.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think most people would agree with that. I think everyone agrees Fitz is the best WR in the division, but I don't think there is a clear winner between Harvin/Rice/Tate, Crabtree/Boldin/Manningham, and Fitzgerald/Floyd/Roberts.. I don't think thats a clear win for Arizona at all.

I agree what your are saying in theory... but it's kind of hard to include a combination of
"Crabtree/Boldin/Manningham" or "Harvin/Rice/Tate"...

When there is a very real possibility that Crabtree/Boldin/Manningham AND Harvin/Rice/Tate

may never actually be a Trio ever....

Crabtree is a longshot for contributing this year... Manningham is coming off a Torn ACL, and Boldin is on a 1 year deal...

Harvin is in the same boat as Crabtree, and Rice is in the final year of his deal....

Right now... I think you have to say the Cardinals Trio is the best. Not by a landslide, but on paper, because they all can actually play.. its got to get the nod.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think if you gave owners in the NFL a choice at taking any of those trio of WRs for their team, most would pick Fitz/Floyd/Roberts.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree what your are saying in theory... but it's kind of hard to include a combination of
"Crabtree/Boldin/Manningham" or "Harvin/Rice/Tate"...

When there is a very real possibility that Crabtree/Boldin/Manningham AND Harvin/Rice/Tate

may never actually be a Trio ever....

Crabtree is a longshot for contributing this year... Manningham is coming off a Torn ACL, and Boldin is on a 1 year deal...

Harvin is in the same boat as Crabtree, and Rice is in the final year of his deal....

Right now... I think you have to say the Cardinals Trio is the best. Not by a landslide, but on paper, because they all can actually play.. its got to get the nod.

Hate to agree with you Cakes, but considering the injury factor, yeah the Cards look like the best on paper right now. Of course a lot can happen before the season starts, if Fitz was to get injured( heaven forbid) or Floyd then it all changes...and of course we are talking about on paper. Wishing you guys good health and a good season.