• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tree Talk with the Hokie Horticulurists

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
VT has the oldest forest on the East Coast, or so we've been told.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT has the oldest forest on the East Coast, or so we've been told.

Live Oak trees in the south are considered to be the oldest living things East of the Mississippi. One live oak is thought to be 1400 years old.

They grow in every which way, often spreading out as much as 100ft and reaching as much as 85 ft in height.

Ive read that they are indigenous to SE VA, but Ive never seen one here. Maybe in the Great Dismal Swamp perhaps.

The first time I saw one was visiting Bama, flying into Mobile and driving backroads. Lots of live oaks, with spanish moss hanging from just about every branch, kinda eerie, but most beautiful.

At AU, the center of celebration is called Toomers Corner, which consists of two grand Live Oak trees, which are tp'd in celebration when Auburn wins a football game. Quite lovely actually. Bama fans would sneak in and light the tp at night, just for kicks. Assholes.

A little over a year ago, a psycho Bama fan came in the middle of the night and injected industrial strength herbicide into the roots, trunk, and main branches. The trees are dying and all intervention so far has not worked.

Quite a fucked up thing to do. This rivalry has turned to deep hatred.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Live oaks aren't indigenous to the central Alabama region where Auburn is.... therefore there shouldn't be any 1400 year old ones there.

And IMO, Virginia>>>>Alabama as far as "beauty" is concerned. :D

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At AU, the center of celebration is called Toomers Corner, which consists of two grand Live Oak trees, which are tp'd in celebration when Auburn wins a football game. Quite lovely actually. Bama fans would sneak in and light the tp at night, just for kicks. Assholes.

A little over a year ago, a psycho Bama fan came in the middle of the night and injected industrial strength herbicide into the roots, trunk, and main branches. The trees are dying and all intervention so far has not worked.

Quite a fucked up thing to do. This rivalry has turned to deep hatred.

Not to sound rude, but that has been national news. I'm sure most of us are aware.

That said, I agree... not a cool thing to do at all.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Live oaks aren't indigenous to the central Alabama region where Auburn is.... therefore there shouldn't be any 1400 year old ones there.

And IMO, Virginia>>>>Alabama as far as "beauty" is concerned. :D

Never said a 1400 year old tree was in Bama, and Live Oaks are indeed indigenous to central Alabama, in spite of the USGS map to the contrary. The trees exist there, and are over 100 years old.

The 1400 year old live oak is in SC, called Angel Oak.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I live in the Florida Panhandle, and have a live oak in my yard, with Spanish Moss on it -- I have no idea how old it is, but it's not 1400 years old. The live oaks at Auburn are about 70 years old.

The point I was making earlier, however, was about an old growth forest, particularly Stadium Woods, which pre-dates the U.S. and stopped VT from building a practice facility there.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Never said a 1400 year old tree was in Bama, and Live Oaks are indeed indigenous to central Alabama, in spite of the USGS map to the contrary. The trees exist there, and are over 100 years old.

This is what Wiki says about that tree:

The Angel Oak is a Southern live oak tree located in Angel Oak Park, in Charleston, South Carolina, on Johns Island, one of South Carolina's Sea Islands. It is estimated to be 300-400 years old, stands 65 ft (20 m) tall.

Also: The Angel Oak is thought to be one of the oldest living organisms east of the Mississippi River.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Auburn's lead professor of horticulture disagrees....Keever noted that live oaks are not native to central Alabama, “but they have survived here since 1890.”
One possibility: New oaks at Toomer's | oanow.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn's lead professor of horticulture disagrees....Keever noted that live oaks are not native to central Alabama, “but they have survived here since 1890.”
One possibility: New oaks at Toomer's | oanow.com

You just totally reinforced my point. Perhaps not indigenous, or native, but they have been there over 120 years. Even your man Keever agrees.

And Sparks, most sites have the Angel Oak at 1400.

FWIW, the Senator Cypress in FL was estimated to be 3500 years old before its demise.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
46/2

If I had a whore to culture, I wouldn't be spending my time here.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Damn it, I ended up in another off-topic argue thread. I didn't even get caught up this time!

I love trekking through the woods (hence my hunting s/n), and I don't give a shit whether trees are 400 or 1400 years old... Though it's hard not to point out that there is a huge and obvious difference between the two. Is this really the most exciting thing we can talk about besides trying to convince each other that we're leaving the ACC or losing Kendall Fuller?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn it, I ended up in another off-topic argue thread. I didn't even get caught up this time!

I love trekking through the woods (hence my hunting s/n), and I don't give a shit whether trees are 400 or 1400 years old... Though it's hard not to point out that there is a huge and obvious difference between the two. Is this really the most exciting thing we can talk about besides trying to convince each other that we're leaving the ACC or losing Kendall Fuller?

I love that we talk about this tuff. I just try and keep the sticky threads on topic. No worries. Talk about anything you want :)

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck yea we have a tree thread now. To hell with all the other VT sites....this is like a one stop shop of knowledge.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just totally reinforced my point. Perhaps not indigenous, or native, but they have been there over 120 years. Even your man Keever agrees.

And Sparks, most sites have the Angel Oak at 1400.

FWIW, the Senator Cypress in FL was estimated to be 3500 years old before its demise.

And I never claimed a live oak could not survive here...was just saying that they are not indigenous here, and therefor not a thousand years old. You said they were, and I supplied the evidence that they are not. Never thought I would get in an argument about the age and origin of Alabama trees on a VT sports board, but I guess there's a first time for everything. :pound:

VTimHokie85

3rd and 31 Productions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yea? well i have a Ticket Oak in my backyard. Beat that.

image.png