• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the snag has something to do with 1 or more of players involved medical report. They switched info on the players in the deal & then 20 mins later there is a "snag"...

I wonder if it is Texas that has the issue after viewing Garza's medicals?

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AZ Sun

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kennedy's last start as a D-back? Enlighten me.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't give KT any ideas, Buster.

(Unless we get him for cheap)

Id do Cahill and Owings for Peavy.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I must be the only person in Arizona besides Cahill's wife and mother that like him....I can't explain why he's pitched so poorly as of late, but I'm not ready to just summarily dismiss him like most every other D-backs fan.....

Granted he is going to start getting very expensive, but with our great infield defense not sure why everyone wants to run such a ground ball dominant pitcher out of town? Granted, he has to figure out what's wrong with his release point or whatever that is causing him to elevate his pitches and instead of of 6-4-3 he's giving up 3 run bombs.....

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is pathetic! Our offense has totally shit a brick! By the end of this week, we will be out of first place...smh

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I must be the only person in Arizona besides Cahill's wife and mother that like him....I can't explain why he's pitched so poorly as of late, but I'm not ready to just summarily dismiss him like most every other D-backs fan.....

Granted he is going to start getting very expensive, but with our great infield defense not sure why everyone wants to run such a ground ball dominant pitcher out of town? Granted, he has to figure out what's wrong with his release point or whatever that is causing him to elevate his pitches and instead of of 6-4-3 he's giving up 3 run bombs.....

I actually don't hate Cahill as much as I dislike Miley. There is no reason for it since Miley has been better than Cahill lately but I just don't like him.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Acquire Matt Garza

By Steve Adams [July 22 at 4:12pm CST]
4:25pm: Passan tweets that the third player is Justin Grimm, making the final package Garza for Olt, Edwards, Grimm and a player to be named later.

4:12pm: Passan tweets that the Rangers will send Olt, Edwards, a third player and a player to be named later to facilitate the deal.

4:08pm: The Cubs will receive Olt, right-hander C.J. Edwards and one other player, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

4:04pm: The Rangers have acquired Matt Garza from the Cubs, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter). In a second tweet, Passan adds that Mike Olt is in the package.

Garza, 29, has been tremendous for the Cubs this season. Though he began the season on the disabled list, he's shown little signs of rust since being activated on May 21. In 71 innings this season, Garza has pitched to a 3.17 ERA with 7.9 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9. He is a free agent at season's end and therefore cannot be tied to draft pick compensation.

Olt, 24, entered the season as the No. 22 prospect in baseball according to both Baseball America and MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo, while ESPN's Keith Law ranked him 71st. Olt batted .288/.398/.579 at Double-A Frisco last season and making his Major League debut with the Rangers. He's battled vision problems in 2013, however, which could be the reason his production has tumbled to .218/.318/.438 at Triple-A Round Rock. Prior to the season, BA praised his plus raw power and advanced hitting approach, calling him "a threat to go deep anytime he steps to the plate." BA, Law and Mayo all agree that he's a plus defender at third though Law questioned whether or not he will make enough contact to hit at the big league level with any consistency.

Good news for those of us that didn't want KT to sweep in and send away almost ready prospects to acquire him. Now we just need to hope KT passes on Peavy as well.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the stats of the players the cubs got, I am shocked that other teams did not beat that offer.

Mike Olt is the centerpiece of the deal apparently and he is only batting .213 in 65 games at AAA. That is pretty awful for a top prospect.

The next piece is Justin Grimm who was already on the rangers this year and his statistics are absolutely terrible. He is 7-7 but has a 6.37 era and looking at his last ten games, he has pitched really badly.

The other pitcher C.J. Edwards has good stats with a 1.83 era but he is only in single A. He is also rated the 15th best prospect in the rangers farm system. He is not even in their top ten according to mlb.com

There is also supposed to be a player to be named later so it remains to be seen who that is.

But judging on those players alone, I cannot imagine that the d'backs could not have beaten that offer. Any combination of Owings, Davidson, Holmberg, Cahill, or even Kennedy should have easily destroyed that package that the cubs got. Owings and Davidson are top prospects hitting way better than Mike Olt and Holmberg is the third best pitcher in our system behind Skaggs and Bradley. Then even with as bad as Kennedy and Cahill have been, neither one of them has an era close to as bad as Justin Grimm's 6.37 era. Plus Cahill is not even six months older than Grimm so it is not like the cubs got several extremely young players.

Olt is turning 25 next month while Davidson is 22, Holmberg is 22, and Owings is 21.

If the d'backs do not make a trade for a starter, I hope Towers is happy throwing Kennedy and Cahill out there every fifth day. Because as of right now, our starting rotation unfortunately does not even sniff the rotation of the dodgers which is Kershaw, Greinke, Nolasco, Ryu, and whoever else they have.

It is so disappointing that the d'backs front office seems content with having Kennedy and Cahill as our starters to try to win a world series.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the stats of the players the cubs got, I am shocked that other teams did not beat that offer.

Mike Olt is the centerpiece of the deal apparently and he is only batting .213 in 65 games at AAA. That is pretty awful for a top prospect.

The next piece is Justin Grimm who was already on the rangers this year and his statistics are absolutely terrible. He is 7-7 but has a 6.37 era and looking at his last ten games, he has pitched really badly.

The other pitcher C.J. Edwards has good stats with a 1.83 era but he is only in single A. He is also rated the 15th best prospect in the rangers farm system. He is not even in their top ten according to mlb.com

There is also supposed to be a player to be named later so it remains to be seen who that is.

But judging on those players alone, I cannot imagine that the d'backs could not have beaten that offer. Any combination of Owings, Davidson, Holmberg, Cahill, or even Kennedy should have easily destroyed that package that the cubs got. Owings and Davidson are top prospects hitting way better than Mike Olt and Holmberg is the third best pitcher in our system behind Skaggs and Bradley. Then even with as bad as Kennedy and Cahill have been, neither one of them has an era close to as bad as Justin Grimm's 6.37 era. Plus Cahill is not even six months older than Grimm so it is not like the cubs got several extremely young players.

Olt is turning 25 next month while Davidson is 22, Holmberg is 22, and Owings is 21.

If the d'backs do not make a trade for a starter, I hope Towers is happy throwing Kennedy and Cahill out there every fifth day. Because as of right now, our starting rotation unfortunately does not even sniff the rotation of the dodgers which is Kershaw, Greinke, Nolasco, Ryu, and whoever else they have.

It is so disappointing that the d'backs front office seems content with having Kennedy and Cahill as our starters to try to win a world series.

If we could have thrown Ian / Cahill at them as the main piece and gotten Garza, I would have been all over it. But Olt was I believe like 40ish on the top prospects in baseball list. If we follow that we would have probably had to give up Skaggs or a Davidson / Owings + Holmberg combo. I think that is too much for a rental player that would have been here till the end of the year.

The Rangers will probably resign Garza, so I think thats why they were willing to give up more for him.