• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline Grades

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but can anyone explain why Dallas cut Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut if they still paid them their contracts. Maybe there was a settlement as I assume, but someone told me they got their remainders. Are there any offsets? Is this part of showing free agents that the team won't keep people who don't want to be there and will pay their contracts in good faith, letting them move on? I'm not saying it's altruistic, but it didn't seem like they were cutting anything in half or anything.

They traded Bogut and trash for Noel.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, that does not matter because the Bulls are going nowhere this year. If Payne develops into a solid PG, this deal will end up being a win for them. Big "if", but McDermott is nothing special and Taj will be gone by the time the Bulls are able to build again.

They swung and missed on Rondo and probably overpaid Wade given what he has left in the tank. Building around Butler sounds nice in theory, but how exactly are they going to put contender caliber pieces around him? Given how things have gone with Butler and the FO, it would be a shock if he were to resign when he eventually becomes a FA.

The Bulls have no choice but to trade Butler, and this off season will likely yield the highest price.

I disagree.....you don't do a total rebuild when you have 2 good players in Butler and Wade. Not to mention they have Mirotoc and Lopez at PF and C, not great players but definitely serviceable frontcourt players since Butler and Wade will provide a majority of the scoring. Payne develops into a good starting PG and that's your starting lineup. What they really need is a 6th man type off the bench that can score 14-16ppg.

This is a team that is currently the 6th seed and 3 games out of the 5th seed. Not a borderline playoff team that needs to be blown up.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuban talked about it on recent podcast. He said that if Mavericks were looking good for playoffs -- he would have kept them. But they had like a 3 game losing streak just before AS break -- and the team decided to play the young guys. Once Mavs decided that -- Mark said they decided to let Bogut & Williams go.

Although this hurt Mavs a little in the short-term -- but cutting them -- it was clear that Carlisle would only play younger guys. Mark was very clear that their culture is to always do their best to win games. He said if Mavs playing well with young guys costs them a few spots in the draft -- they would accept that.

Makes me wonder how much longer Nowitzki will keep playing......he's looking at going the way Kobe went.....shooting and scoring on a bad team.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see them go with Williams at PG and Irving at SG in certain lineups....for short stretches.

Shumpert off the bench makes more sense to me....but you can't start Williams and Irving for 25-30mpg together.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.....you don't do a total rebuild when you have 2 good players in Butler and Wade. Not to mention they have Mirotoc and Lopez at PF and C, not great players but definitely serviceable frontcourt players since Butler and Wade will provide a majority of the scoring. Payne develops into a good starting PG and that's your starting lineup. What they really need is a 6th man type off the bench that can score 14-16ppg.

This is a team that is currently the 6th seed and 3 games out of the 5th seed. Not a borderline playoff team that needs to be blown up.

Butler has been feuding with management all year. The Bulls have zero chance to contend in the next two years, so it would be in their best interest to start the rebuild now, rather than wait two years and start then.

Butler will leave as soon as he is able.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler has been feuding with management all year. The Bulls have zero chance to contend in the next two years, so it would be in their best interest to start the rebuild now, rather than wait two years and start then.

Butler will leave as soon as he is able.

Agree. The Bulls tried to cobble together a team that could compete in the East, but they really aren't a threat to the Cavs, or really any of the top 3 or so in the East. Butler's not staying 1 second longer than he has to. They should be looking to trade just about everyone and start over.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In six games with the Wizards, @44Bojan is averaging 15.5 points per game on 30-56 (54%) FG and 20-34 (59%) 3PT.

C6PgHHWWgAIY7X0.png:large

Last edited: