• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline Grades

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't know what Boston is waiting on. I don't care if the draft is loaded this year. Paul George and Jimmy Butler (and Cousins before that) are the types of players you accumulate assets to get (especially George). They are either dumb or clearly have no intentions of winning right now and will just take young players and hope to ride out the Cavs. The only other thing I can think of is maybe they want to see where the pick lands and will trade for George in the summer. But even then,why not go for it now? What if the Cavs stay banged up? You're right there! Why keep waiting? You're not getting any better players than those 3. A Lebron James or Steph Curry isn't just gonna drop into the trade market

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't know what Boston is waiting on. I don't care if the draft is loaded this year. Paul George and Jimmy Butler (and Cousins before that) are the types of players you accumulate assets to get (especially George). They are either dumb or clearly have no intentions of winning right now and will just take young players and hope to ride out the Cavs. The only other thing I can think of is maybe they want to see where the pick lands and will trade for George in the summer. But even then,why not go for it now? What if the Cavs stay banged up? You're right there! Why keep waiting? You're not getting any better players than those 3. A Lebron James or Steph Curry isn't just gonna drop into the trade market
they are scared that even if they got a really good player like Butler or George- that they still wouldnt have a shot at The King.

Cavs missing 40% of their starting lineup- will have basically zero games where their full rotation will be on the court during the regular season- have had hardly any games where there full starting lineup has been on the floor together this season- at least none since mid december---

but, still- thats LeBron....he beats you mentally like that even when he isnt directly across the court from you.

maybe one day the Celts will grow a pair and TRY and beat the Cavs and the King- until that day- LeBron will keep on adding to that streak of consecutive finals played in.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the more underwhelming trade deadlines I remember.

It appears to go this way just about every year. The media makes a very big deal about this in the days leading to the deadline & floats all types of rumors (several of which they know will never happen). Then they report some 2nd tier trades & make a big deal out of them. The day after the deadline they express disappointment & maintain that some of these trades were very close to happening (BS in many cases).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As David Griffin said in his interview yesterday- the Cavs "real" trading deadline move was made in January for Korver....but ESPN still listed them among their "winners".....neither Toronto or Boston made a MAJOR move....and Dallas got rid of Deron Williams and Bogut-- and it looks like another handful of guys will eventually be bought out around the league.

Lets just hope Williams can get to Cleveland and doesnt get claimed by the Jazz.

Winners
Cleveland Cavaliers

i

Though they didn't make any moves after shedding Chris Andersen's contract last week, the events of the deadline played out well for the Cavaliers.

The Toronto Raptors did load up, but the Boston Celtics' decision to stand pat at the deadline is good news for Cleveland in terms of maintaining the No. 1 seed and getting through the Eastern Conference playoffs unscathed.

Perhaps more importantly, the Dallas Mavericks' buyout of Deron Williams should clear the way for Williams to join the Cavaliers barring a surprise on the waiver wire. ESPN's Tim MacMahon and Marc Stein have already reported that Williams intends to sign with Cleveland if he clears waivers.

Despite injury concerns, Williams is a better backup point guard than the Cavaliers could have realistically acquired via trade, and he'll come cheaper at the prorated veteran's minimum

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may be worth it. He may not. Either way, they'll have tons of cap space, especially if Dirk calls it quits. They practically NEED to spend to hit the cap floor. Good gamble.

Philly needs to spend too, second lowest salary in the league.

They really needed to move Okafor after hanging him out there. I guess we'll see how mentally strong he is now.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Ainge is spoiled a bit from getting some lopsided trades in his favor in the past (KG, trading with the Nets) and is content to wait for someone else to screw up again.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bold is what Chris Mannix was suggesting on the Dan Patrick Show this morning. He was saying that Ainge may be looking at the Cavs and the fact that with Lebron getting older and playing a lot of minutes, the Cavs window may be closing and the Celtics are positioned to strike when it closes.

Mannix also pointed out that, if this is the case, it's risky on the Celtics part because Lebron really hasn't slowed much yet, so they could see their own window close before it ever opens if guys decide to leave as FA's before the Cavs window closes completely.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold is what Chris Mannix was suggesting on the Dan Patrick Show this morning. He was saying that Ainge may be looking at the Cavs and the fact that with Lebron getting older and playing a lot of minutes, the Cavs window may be closing and the Celtics are positioned to strike when it closes.

Mannix also pointed out that, if this is the case, it's risky on the Celtics part because Lebron really hasn't slowed much yet, so they could see their own window close before it ever opens if guys decide to leave as FA's before the Cavs window closes completely.

Father time will come for Lebron. He's 32 now, so in another 3 years we're talking about a 35 year old with more wear and tear on him than Kobe had, plus more weight on those joints. Kobe's year 35 season was 6 games long.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Father time will come for Lebron. He's 32 now, so in another 3 years we're talking about a 35 year old with more wear and tear on him than Kobe had, plus more weight on those joints. Kobe's year 35 season was 6 games long.

No doubt. Father time eventually gets everybody. The problem that I see with the Celtics is that they are poised to strike right now and Ainge won't pull the trigger. If they had gotten Boogie, Butler or George, that puts them pretty darn close to even with the Cavs, especially Boogie.

Plus, all 3 of them are young enough to be part of the team when Father Time does eventually come for Lebron. Ainge is an NBA GM (and I'm not) and he has put together a really nice team, so I assume he knows more than I do. But, as they say, "fortune favors the bold" and what Ainge did doesn't strike me as bold.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe the Wolves held on to Rubio. Dude was supposed to be gone since training camp.

6ers traded Noel for 2 2nds and the right to buy out Bogut. Offering Rubio would not top that? They are desperate for a pg and Noel would let KAT play PF where he is better anyway. Dieng becomes a solid 6th man

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. Father time eventually gets everybody. The problem that I see with the Celtics is that they are poised to strike right now and Ainge won't pull the trigger. If they had gotten Boogie, Butler or George, that puts them pretty darn close to even with the Cavs, especially Boogie.

Plus, all 3 of them are young enough to be part of the team when Father Time does eventually come for Lebron. Ainge is an NBA GM (and I'm not) and he has put together a really nice team, so I assume he knows more than I do. But, as they say, "fortune favors the bold" and what Ainge did doesn't strike me as bold.

Some GMs would not even consider Cousins. Until proven otherwise, he's not a winning player and is a potential cancer IMO.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some GMs would not even consider Cousins. Until proven otherwise, he's not a winning player and is a potential cancer IMO.

You may be right. But considering the shitshow the Kings FO is, he may just need a more stable organization. I mean, he just left a team whose FO makes Jim Buss look like Dr. Buss.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston screwed up big time. They needed to go all in. This Boston team is ready to beat LBj but they need that 1 extra star. Imagine Butler or Paul George with IT. Scary. Im happy Bulls didn't trade butler. No need to trade him. Butler is a player u build around. He is a 2 way player that helps your team in many ways. Only way u trade Butler if u truly want to start over and if that is the case u do it in this draft because this draft is loaded. 3 1st rd picks in this draft would be awesome. As a Bulls fan i don't want to see a full rebuild because to be honest we have cap space to sign a max player to play along side of Butler and Wade. Imagine Chris Paul or Lowry with Butler and wade. Lopez does a good job in the middle. not bad team. Lowry would be my dream pick up to pair with wade and Butler.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats crazy is McDermott and Gibson were the 2 best players in the deal. I don't understand what the Bulls did. They didn't get much in return.
taj's contract was up at the end of the yr and mcbuckets just isnt good. his only skill is shooting the 3 and he is shooting 36% from there. what they got in return is shitty too. team needs rebuild

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, that's what it looks like.

The fact that GM's of 50+ win teams in the east are just conceding and planning for the future is something that will become part of LeBron's legacy.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats crazy is McDermott and Gibson were the 2 best players in the deal. I don't understand what the Bulls did. They didn't get much in return.

Gibson is going to be a FA this summer, must be they weren't expecting to keep him.