• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top Five Rock Bands of All Time?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure this discussion has been had umpteen times here, but sort of fishing for opinions here... I think there's a blatantly obvious four that have to belong in any and every list... Those being in no particular order :

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
The Who

I seem to have a tough time coming up with a fifth... Who am I missing? Or do you really want to make a case that one of these four don't belong?
I'm certainly with ya on the Beatles but your list is all British? What about The Eagles?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles bug.

I like Joe Walsh. Bout it.

U2 is the most overrated band of all time.
The Eagles: A finer collection of musicians, singers and songwriters never existed in any one band.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles: A finer collection of musicians, singers and songwriters never existed in any one band.

Certainly debatable, but I can't stand their music...sawry. I like Joe Walsh. It ends there.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying Aerosmith is better than the Stones is ridiculous. The Stones are the biggest drawing band in rock history.
They've certainly had longevity but the Stones have not had a good album since 1978. They should have ended it in 1980. Had they done that, and gone out on top like the Beatles did, the Stones would be looked at as being on that same level with the Beatles.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly debatable, but I can't stand their music...sawry. I like Joe Walsh. It ends there.
Every one of them was top notch at their instrument(s) and their signing and writing. Certainly the biggest entertainment act the U.S. has ever produced. From what I've read though a bigger collection of assholes was never together in one band either.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every one of them was top notch at their instrument(s) and their signing and writing. Certainly the biggest entertainment act the U.S. has ever produced. From what I've read though a bigger collection of assholes was never together in one band either.

I heard this too.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've certainly had longevity but the Stones have not had a good album since 1978. They should have ended it in 1980. Had they done that, and gone out on top like the Beatles did, the Stones would be looked at as being on that same level with the Beatles.

I can agree with some of that.

The thing that kept propelling the Beatles after their breakup, was the succesful solo work by all 4 of them. The Stones never really ventured into that territory per se.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with some of that.

The thing that kept propelling the Beatles after their breakup, was the succesful solo work by all 4 of them. The Stones never really ventured into that territory per se.
That's cool. I was never impressed with any of the former Beatles as solo artists but as a band, in my opinion, they were without peer. The synergy that the 4 of them produced together was truly amazing. Its such a cool story and such a sad one at the same time that 4 kids from the same neighborhood could become the biggest entertainment act in the world but those best friends would come to despise each other so much that they would not even speak.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what i've heard and read over the years it was pretty much just Don Henley who was the a-hole...
Watching their Showtime story I thought it was Glenn Frey. Seemed like every member who left the band left because of a dispute with Frey. That show made them seem like a bunch of vindictive assholes too, especially Henley and Frey. Such a shame.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying Aerosmith is better than the Stones is ridiculous. The Stones are the biggest drawing band in rock history.

I never said that. I said that Aerosmith's music holds up better in 2016 than the Stones. I also said that Aerosmiths' guitar playing was better.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's cool. I was never impressed with any of the former Beatles as solo artists but as a band, in my opinion, they were without peer. The synergy that the 4 of them produced together was truly amazing. Its such a cool story and such a sad one at the same time that 4 kids from the same neighborhood could become the biggest entertainment act in the world but those best friends would come to despise each other so much that they would not even speak.

I though Lennon had the best solo work. McCartney had some solo stinkers but he couldn't write a bad song when he was with the Beatles.

Honest Fan 2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a collection of individual talents they were pretty good but as an American band ?, no better than Aerosmith, Skynyrd or the DEAD.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly liked George more after they seperated...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a collection of individual talents they were pretty good but as an American band ?, no better than Aerosmith, Skynyrd or the DEAD.
Didn't care for the Greatful Dead at all. To much nonsense at their concerts. They couldn't play a song the same way twice. Thought Aerosmith was mediocre but The original Lynyrd Skynyrd were very talented. Trouble with those two bands is that they were completely dependent upon their singer for their sound. The Eagles and Beatles, and Fleetwood Mac, to an extent, made sure that would never happen to them.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To each their own, but in fairness, the Grateful Dead is all about improv so there really wouldn't be any reason to play a song the same way twice. Same goes for Miles Davis, Weather Report, Coltrane, et al.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure this discussion has been had umpteen times here, but sort of fishing for opinions here... I think there's a blatantly obvious four that have to belong in any and every list... Those being in no particular order :

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
The Who

I seem to have a tough time coming up with a fifth... Who am I missing? Or do you really want to make a case that one of these four don't belong?

Pink. Floyd.