• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 College coaching jobs

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winner winner. TCU is actually the #1 job on this list. Patterson is secretly the highest paid coach in college and the NFL if you include the percentage of ownership he was given into a corporation owned by some wealthy AF TCU alumni. Apparently he makes an additional $17M-$20M a year from what I have heard from some wealthy TCU boosters.

Whatever it is, it's a lot. I have a friend that used to be a partner in a Ft. Worth company until we sold our interest a few years ago and he's a huge TCU fan who supports the school big time. He's made references to how Patterson has a super deal but he's never been willing to talk numbers......like it's a big secret.....which I guess it is if no one outside the program knows the whole truth. But I honestly never suspected it might be that much of a "super deal". That is astounding.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant it as a compliment. Sure, your coaches work hard but it's a snap recruiting at USC compared to recruiting at a hundred other schools around the country. We have an advantage too because every kid in America knows who Oklahoma is. But the difference is you're sitting smack dab in the middle of a lot of the best talent in the country and that is a huge advantage. We respect that; we don't begrudge you for it.

I get what you're saying and understand that you meant it as a compliment. Wasn't sure though, so thanks for clearing it up. Some folks try to use it as a way to slam our coaches. No doubt that USC has some nice advantages though.

You know what they say. Location, location, location.

RACER-MIKE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- OKLAHOMA

2- U.S.C.

3- TEXAS

4- NOTRE DAME

5- OHIO STATE

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ivy League academic requirements that aren't bent much for athletic recruits to be accepted means you have work extremely hard to land the classes to compete against the schools that are glorified trade schools and will easily accept 4-5* recruits who are functionally retarded.

That's the only real downside.

It's a nice area, you get a host of the best student-footballers in the country, don't have the behavior and grades issues, and the school seems to appreciate the football program rather than rely on its success. They seem to have their priorities in line. You get to play in a nice, but maybe 3rd best division in the NCAA. You're glorified if you win, but it's not the end of the world if you have a 4-loss season or two.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever it is, it's a lot. I have a friend that used to be a partner in a Ft. Worth company until we sold our interest a few years ago and he's a huge TCU fan who supports the school big time. He's made references to how Patterson has a super deal but he's never been willing to talk numbers......like it's a big secret.....which I guess it is if no one outside the program knows the whole truth. But I honestly never suspected it might be that much of a "super deal". That is astounding.
From what I understand, the value has grown to the point where his percentage is generating some extremely significant money.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the only real downside.

It's a nice area, you get a host of the best student-footballers in the country, don't have the behavior and grades issues, and the school seems to appreciate the football program rather than rely on its success.
Bet the swim coach would argue with this...but, I do get what you are saying.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought Nebraska was a great coaching job. Lincoln is awesome. Only FBS school in Nebraska with football, great fan base and follows team on road well, has good pipelines.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Texas: On one hand it wouldn't be fun having to suck up to all the rich donors, but on the other hand, it would be A LOT of fun fishing in the Texas ponds with all that talent (and money to spend)!

2) USC: Seriously, Southern California? I think the very worst coach these days could still pull in a top 15 recruiting class simply on location of the school, and the history in football.

3) Ohio State or Alabama: I hate OSU, so I refuse to say anything positive about them except to give them the #3 spot on this list.

I actually like Alabama (except when they crapped the bed 2 years ago against OSU), and with their recent string of success (on the field and in recruiting), it's hard to argue that it isn't an amazing coaching gig right now.

4) Michigan or Georgia: With all of Michigan's crappy coaching choices over the past 10 years, they still are able to land a pretty well rated recruiting classes most years.

What other place besides Georgia can you only win a conference championship twice in 30 years, without a national title in the period, and still be considered one of the top programs in the country? On top of that, they aren't winning any championships (national or conference) all while having a top 15 recruiting class just about every year for the past 10+ years. (along with producing A LOT of NFL players)

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the season approaches (fastly!) I will spend time to look at sports articles that rank the top coaching jobs in the country. Here is mine.

1. Florida - Gators are located in one of the best recruiting states in the country. The are situated in the SEC East which over the years has proven to be the weaker division of the mighty SEC. You have recent tradition starting in the 90s and not long ago you had 2 national titles in 3 years. You can recruit top end talent without leaving your state. Also one can only imagine the Gators have good financial support.

Cons: Although you are in the SEC East, you still have SEC West teams to face and still need to win the SEC championship game to get to the national title. Also have two very good programs in FSU and Miami in your state, along with the rising UCF to deal with. Plus every other SEC school poaches Florida recruits.

2. USC - If Only USC knew they were one of the elite coaching jobs out there and hired a quality head coach then the Trojans may be a force once again in the PAC-12 and the College Football world. They are located in Los Angeles, drenched with history and success. Top recruits around the state grew up Trojan fans and wanting to play for USC. Playing in the PAC-12 South, the Trojans should be in the PAC-12 title game on an annual basis.

Cons: Off campus football field. Incompetent administration.

3. Texas - WOW. Money, location, history, tradition, your own network, and the Big12 conference. Texas has it all if you want to win national titles. One would expect you should only have to worry about Oklahoma each year and the winner of that game should win the conference.

Cons: With everything I mentioned, somehow Texas hasn't won a conference title since 2009. And since 2009, their last conference title and appearance in the national tile game, the Longhorns have gone 35-35. What the hell? Also you have Texas AM moving to the SEC which may have some of the local recruits thinking they want to play in the SEC over the Big12. Longhorns did avoid a tough challenge from Baylor, thanks to the Bears off-field issues.

4. Georgia - A combination of Florida and Texas in one. You get the luxury of playing in the SEC East and surrounded by great local recruiting talent. You also have a lot of money and people throw the word "Traditional power" around you when you haven't really done much since the 1980s. Also job security is much better here then at the other schools that have been listed before it. 8 wins to 10 wins the average norm here, yet you get crowned the preseason #1 each year. Also great stadium and local passion.

Cons: Much like Florida you still have to play SEC West teams and would have to overcome an SEC West team in the SEC Champ game to get to anywhere meaningful.

5. Ohio State - Tradition and success at tOSU. You rule the Midwest here along with the traditional Big10 conference. As kids grow up each year they continue to see Ohio State at or near the top of the rankings. Great home field advantage.

Cons: Location. Unlike the other schools that have great local recruiting grounds and great weather, Ohio State the only Midwest team on this list, has a little bit of an obstacle to overcome if it were targeting some top Southern recruits with the other schools listed above them.

Teams you thought would make the list but didn't:

Alabama - Great tradition, great success both in history and very recent. But the pressure here would be unbearable once Saban leaves. He has created such high expectations that I don't see how another coach would want to try and step in here and duplicate his success. Because that would be the expectations. Immediately.

UCLA - Always second fiddle to USC. You had about 7 years of the Trojans being sanctioned and could not gain ground at all. You fail.

Notre Dame - Although one of the most historic college football programs of all time, you have to recruit nationwide to get top talent, and hope those top talent kids can relate to your schools fundamentals, academics, and history of success that happened when their grandparents were their age.

LSU - Although great in state recruiting talent, and passionate fanbase with one of the best home atmospheres, the Tigers have to play in arguably the toughest division in college football.

Don't hate, post yours.

I would argue that Florida State is a better job than Florida. The academics are not as stringent. The ACC anything is usually going to be weaker than the SEC East. And East Smeast, you still have to play the west champ to realize the main goal. My list:

1. FSU
  2. Texas
  3. Florida
  4. USC
  5. Alabama

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say USC and Texas are the only two givens. The other three could vary. ND, FSU, Florida, Alabama, Ohio St and Oklahoma are all good choices.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama is currently the best paying job in college football.

Which pretty much speaks to the volume of support you get as a coach. I don't think it's comparable.

Just the other day I was reading about the support staff Nick Saban has:

How Nick Saban built a coaching army and started a revolution

It may have high expectations, but if you are a good coach then Alabama will give you everything you need to succeed - and then some.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will pick mine from the states with recruiting hot beds. California, Florida, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Ohio

Currently, the SEC is winning most of the titles. Most of their talent comes from Florida, Georgia, North Carolina.

Who pays their coaches the most? Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida State

1. Alabama pays the most, does the most with the southeast talent
2. Oklahoma does way more with Texas Talent than Texas and pays their coach more
3. Ohio State won a championship in 2014, knows how to coach the SEC way
4. Florida State definitely lets the athlete students live a protected life all in the name of football
5. USC you have to have a West Coast bias team

BTW, Texas is 41-35 the last six years, not 35-35 as the OP stated.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way MI is higher than tOSU. Former Buckeye players do not turn down a chance to coach at Ohio State.
Sure they do, that's how you ended up with Luke Fickel for a year.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they do, that's how you ended up with Luke Fickel for a year.

You sure about that, which former player(s) were offered the job after Tressel? Before he quit he was gonna be suspended for the first 5 games of '11 & Fickel was already named the interim HC for those 5 games.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who turned them down?
I guess Urban wasn't a former player, but fan -- same thing. I don't know if I could name a former OSU player who's actually doing anything coaching-wise.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Urban wasn't a former player, but fan -- same thing.

:L

Urban Meyer was a graduate assistant in '86 & '87. But yeah he's just a fan that had no connection to Ohio State before he became the HC.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Urban Meyer was a graduate assistant in '86 & '87. But yeah he's just a fan that had no connection to Ohio State before he became the HC.
He wasn't a player, was that not the point? Being a grad assistant is not being a player. He was a fan who, because he liked the school, pursued his coaching career there and then later became head coach. In any event, he was open, there were rumors that he would take over and instead Fickel did.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't a player, was that not the point? Being a grad assistant is not being a player. He was a fan who, because he liked the school, pursued his coaching career there and then later became head coach. In any event, he was open, there were rumors that he would take over and instead Fickel did.

Okay. So exactly which former player(s) turned down the job? Ellupo said former players don't turn down the chance to coach @ Ohio State & you said sure they do that's how they got Fickell. So who are you talking about or are you just making shit up?