• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 College coaching jobs

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. So exactly which former player(s) turned down the job? Ellupo said former players don't turn down the chance to coach @ Ohio State & you said sure they do that's how they got Fickell. So who are you talking about or are you just making shit up?
god damn you're an idiot.

Urban didn't come to OSU the first go around -- no, he wasn't a former player. He was a former coach and fan -- which I why I suggested it's about hte same thing as first being turned down by Harbaugh only to get him later.

Secondly, I pointed out that OSU doesn't have former players who are good college coaches. OSU doesn't have a former player to turn them down because OSU's former players are not good coaches.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
god damn you're an idiot.

Urban didn't come to OSU the first go around -- no, he wasn't a former player. He was a former coach and fan -- which I why I suggested it's about hte same thing as first being turned down by Harbaugh only to get him later.

Secondly, I pointed out that OSU doesn't have former players who are good college coaches. OSU doesn't have a former player to turn them down because OSU's former players are not good coaches.
When did Meyer turn down tOSU?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did Meyer turn down tOSU?
So you wanted Luke Fickel as your head coach then? When did anyone turn down Michigan? Your only evidence that either Miles or Harbaugh turned down Michigan is that they weren't here instead of Hoke -- the same can be said of Meyer that year.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. There are definite advantages to being considered the premiere football school in an area that is a hotbed of talent like Southern California. The climate also helps USC recruit nationally.

However, it's not as simple as just picking up the phone and offering as some have suggested. I also find it funny that some of the same folks (not saying you) who talk about the recruiting advantages also say it's in a crappy, unsafe part of LA which would seem to be a disadvantage.

Didn't even Hackett get a top 15 recruiting class? SC would be a cake school to recruit to, problem is keeping the kids focused on football.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't even Hackett get a top 15 recruiting class? SC would be a cake school to recruit to, problem is keeping the kids focused on football.

he got classes in the 13-22 range. But if it was true about location then San Diego state would have better classes than anyone in the country ( and Pepperdine would have the best Basketball and baseball teams) and UCLA would have the same success as USC. Now it helps that USC is in LA like Miami is in Miami. You have most of the countrys colleges in college towns which is a different atmosphere and not for everyone.,

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he got classes in the 13-22 range. But if it was true about location then San Diego state would have better classes than anyone in the country ( and Pepperdine would have the best Basketball and baseball teams) and UCLA would have the same success as USC. Now it helps that USC is in LA like Miami is in Miami. You have most of the countrys colleges in college towns which is a different atmosphere and not for everyone.,

San Diego and Pepperdine aren't FBS universities, not apples to apples. UCLA would be except you know the whole uppity white class city plus UCLA hasn't really attracted athletes since Wooden quit having his alumni pay for players to come there.

I just think SC could have Jerry Sandusky there and still pull in a top 10 class

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Diego and Pepperdine aren't FBS universities, not apples to apples. UCLA would be except you know the whole uppity white class city plus UCLA hasn't really attracted athletes since Wooden quit having his alumni pay for players to come there.

I just think SC could have Jerry Sandusky there and still pull in a top 10 class

Isn't San Diego State FBS? USC and UCLA are 14 Miles apart. If UCLA has to pay players to go there and they are only 14 miles from USC doesn't that mess with your location argument/reason for USC?

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't San Diego State FBS? USC and UCLA are 14 Miles apart. If UCLA has to pay players to go there and they are only 14 miles from USC doesn't that mess with your location argument/reason for USC?

My bad, I was thinking San Diego. Yes San Diego State is, but that's like equating Seattle U basketball to UW. Seattle U is closer to where the better talent in Seattle but Pac 12 > any other conference west of the Big 12. UCLA paid their basketball players during Wooden's era, I'm not a prospect from So Cal but it seems like nearly all the real players choose SC since I was a kid. When I was a kid UCLA was like current day Oregon, UCLA had great California athletes but would fold when an opponent played physical against them...I'm from afar but it has never in my lifetime seemed like SC has ever had an issue with pulling in elite players, just the coaching has been crappy outside the Pete years.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And people still think he's the greatest coach in college basketball history.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, I was thinking San Diego. Yes San Diego State is, but that's like equating Seattle U basketball to UW. Seattle U is closer to where the better talent in Seattle but Pac 12 > any other conference west of the Big 12. UCLA paid their basketball players during Wooden's era, I'm not a prospect from So Cal but it seems like nearly all the real players choose SC since I was a kid. When I was a kid UCLA was like current day Oregon, UCLA had great California athletes but would fold when an opponent played physical against them...I'm from afar but it has never in my lifetime seemed like SC has ever had an issue with pulling in elite players, just the coaching has been crappy outside the Pete years.

San Diego is near La Jolla or in La Jolla which is awesome but SD State isn't far from the beach and still a trolly ride from the gaslamp district. I have never figured out why SD State hasn't become a better destination. Reggie Bush, Marcus Allen oh and JR Seau were from san diego.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And people still think he's the greatest coach in college basketball history.

You can coach the greatest talent money can buy and still be a great coach. I don't think there is a question Wooden was the best coach in basketball or questionably American sports history.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may have high expectations, but if you are a good coach then Alabama will give you everything you need to succeed - and then some.
Little, great big word!

But, IMHO they will still provide a lot even for coaches that are not as good as Saban. Same for a lot of other jobs. The school fan base provides everything needed and then some...and don't get near the results.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Diego is near La Jolla or in La Jolla which is awesome but SD State isn't far from the beach and still a trolly ride from the gaslamp district. I have never figured out why SD State hasn't become a better destination. Reggie Bush, Marcus Allen oh and JR Seau were from san diego.

It's simple, because the conferences. Had Seattle U been in the Pac back when Elgin Baylor was there, they would've been the dominant team in the state not drop the program.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can coach the greatest talent money can buy and still be a great coach. I don't think there is a question Wooden was the best coach in basketball or questionably American sports history.

There is without a doubt a question. As much as I hate Duke coach K is far better than Wooden. I'd even say Dean Smith and as much as I hate him Bobby Night are also.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is without a doubt a question. As much as I hate Duke coach K is far better than Wooden. I'd even say Dean Smith and as much as I hate him Bobby Night are also.

I'd say if you even had a question you could argue Bobby Knight. Smith and Coach K learned from Wooden, Wooden revolutionized coaching and his books and clinics changed coaching forever. Knight on the other hand stayed old school, couldn't tell you if he learned anything from Wooden, guess it is a matter of opinion but IMO John Wooden is the George Washington on the Mount Rushmore of American coaches.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say if you even had a question you could argue Bobby Knight. Smith and Coach K learned from Wooden, Wooden revolutionized coaching and his books and clinics changed coaching forever. Knight on the other hand stayed old school, couldn't tell you if he learned anything from Wooden, guess it is a matter of opinion but IMO John Wooden is the George Washington on the Mount Rushmore of American coaches.

I like to believe George wasn't a cheater.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coach K learned from Knight.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we're just going to disagree.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to believe George wasn't a cheater.

John had more integrity. George Washington was getting his ass kicked, had the French step in, fund and train his army then ruined their country by not giving them any of the spoils when the Brits granted us independence. Wooden doesn't strike me as cut throat but I wasn't alive when he won a title.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach K learned from Knight.

I know that, but Coach K and Dean Smith have quoted Wooden's book as to being instrumental in their coaching philosophies. It is semantics on discussing who was the better coach but I just feel Wooden's resume speaks for itself.