• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Board strips Redskins' trademark protection due to name

/eloco suggested Washington Blueberries in another thread on this board.

Blueberries are a fierce fruit!!

Seriously, I've thought they should just shorten the name to Skins for a long time. You get to keep the tradition, it's what we all call the team anyway, you can turn it into something positive about racial equality, and everyone wins.

So does that mean that anyone can start printing Redskins jerseys and T-shirts?

Yes.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise that Dan Synder is appealing...

The Washington Redskins will appeal a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office decision to cancel the trademark registration for the use of the team's controversial name on the grounds that it is "disparaging" to native Americans.

The NFL team has come under fire in recent years for its use of a nickname that many people say is racist and insensitive.

"We decide, based on the evidence properly before us, that these registrations must be cancelled because they were disparaging to Native Americans at the respective times they were registered," the patent office said in a ruling Wednesday.

Despite its base in one of the smaller cities in the league, Washington's team is among the most popular in the NFL, and has been deemed the second-most valuable in the league in rankings by Forbes.

There has been a growing movement for the team to change its name, something the franchise and the NFL have resisted.

The patent office's decision does not preclude the NFL team from using the name. Rather, it simply means the organization no longer has the statutory right to register the trademark — which means the name can be used by anyone, including those who wish to mock the team or draw attention to what could be deemed as a racist name.

The decision, if upheld, would also:

Limit the money the team and the league can earn from selling jerseys and other merchandise emblazoned with the name and logo.

Strip the team of the rights to the term "Redskinettes," the nickname for its cheerleaders.

Strip the team of sole use of the iconic image in the logo.

The ruling comes eight years after a group of native Americans,including Amanda Blackhorse, filed a suit against the team's use of the name.

"I am extremely happy that the [patent office] ruled in our favour,” Blackhorse said in a statement to progressive news website ThinkProgress.org.

“It is a great victory for Native Americans and for all Americans. We filed our petition eight years ago and it has been a tough battle ever since.

"I hope this ruling brings us a step closer to that inevitable day when the name of the Washington football team will be changed. The team’s name is racist and derogatory. I’ve said it before and I will say it again — if people wouldn’t dare call a Native American a ‘redskin’ because they know it is offensive, how can an NFL football team have this name?"

It's the second time the team has faced a challenge to its name along patent grounds, the last time dating back to 1992, when Suzan Harjo and six other native Americans filed suit.

The team lost that time, too, before the ruling was overturned on appeal.And there's every indication that could happen again, as the team said in a press release it remains confident it will ultimately prevail.

"This ruling — which of course we will appeal — simply addresses the team’s federal trademark registrations, and the team will continue to own and be able to protect its marks without the registrations," said the team's trademark lawyer, Bob Raskopf. "The registrations will remain effective while the case is on appeal."

"We’ve seen this story before. And just like last time, today’s ruling will have no effect at all on the team’s ownership of and right to use the Redskins name and logo," Raskopf said.

For her part, Harjo said she was "thrilled and delighted" with the decision.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Gordon of Cleveland Browns arrested for DWI - ESPN

Way to waste a career. So talented but also so stupid/immature.

The individual who paid for Gordon's bond was identified as Haydn "Fats" Thomas, authorities told WNCN. Thomas is a convicted felon who pleaded guilty to gun and drug charges in November.

In 2006, Thomas was convicted of a felony for accessing a computer for fraudulent purposes. Thomas also rented the car that former North Carolina basketball player P.J. Hairston drove when he was arrested for misdemeanor marijuana possession in Durham, North Carolina, in June 2013. Charges were dropped, but it was later found that Hairston accepted so many cars paid for by Thomas that he was dismissed from the Tar Heels.

I think I might see the problem.

Gordon, 23, could be facing a one-season NFL suspension for another failed drug test.

Let that be a lesson to you. Arrange drug deals, r*pe a chick, take a gun into an airport, beat your girlfriend or cover up a murder. All okay. But don't use drugs. THAT will get you punished.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I might see the problem.

Let that be a lesson to you. Arrange drug deals, r*pe a chick, take a gun into an airport, beat your girlfriend or cover up a murder. All okay. But don't use drugs. THAT will get you punished.

That killed me. He's up for suspension because he failed the drug screening for pot. It's freaking pot...a drug now legal in two states. I'm 100% okay with suspending based on that, because it's in the rules...but not doing it with DUIs is just the worst.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy constantly seemed like he was injured. He's just one of those guys that can't stay healthy, probably health related if I had to guess.

Concussions. I wish a few more guys would hang up the cleats. *looks at Austin Collie*

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the out of left field department...

Seahawks' Rice announces retirement from NFL

Seems like he had enough of the injuries.

Also... from the article: Rice was named a Pro Bowler in 2009 on the strength of 146 receptions for 2,129 yards and 18 touchdowns with the Vikings. :shocked:

Yeah.. I'd say that season would get you to the Pro Bowl.:L

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]492326311684505600[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what 43's facebook looks like today....

I'm just disgusted.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meanwhile, ESPN is treating this poorly (shocking). SportsCenter is tweeting about his efficiency on the field, Schefter is saying "this will create controversy, people asking should the commish have been more lenient", and basically treating it like an inspirational moment for Rice. Players and humans *do* deserve second chances...but people also need to be punished for their crimes. The "second chance" comes into play after you do your time. Insane. Treating abuse like it's nothing.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured on a 4 game suspension for Rice, and was surprised to see two. Roger Goodell never fails to puzzle me with his decision making, so maybe I'm not so surprised. He will miss two divisional games, which should impact the Ravens. But Rice played like crap last season, so...

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured on a 4 game suspension for Rice, and was surprised to see two. Roger Goodell never fails to puzzle me with his decision making, so maybe I'm not so surprised. He will miss two divisional games, which should impact the Ravens. But Rice played like crap last season, so...

The NFL just doesn't take this stuff seriously enough. Josh Gordon should be banned for another year at the very least. Blackmon should be banned for life. Of course I thought Michael Vick should have been banned for life as well. Instead when all is said & done he got 20M per year from the Eagles. Athletes can get away with anything if they're good enough.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL just doesn't take this stuff seriously enough. Josh Gordon should be banned for another year at the very least. Blackmon should be banned for life. Of course I thought Michael Vick should have been banned for life as well. Instead when all is said & done he got 20M per year from the Eagles. Athletes can get away with anything if they're good enough.

Those with a lot of money and a good lawyer can get away with most everything. Justice is not equal for all in this country, and I bet it's been that way for a long time.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what 43's facebook looks like today....

I'm just disgusted.

It's still a conspiracy against the team and the city of Baltimore with all these unnecessarily harsh penalties that come down on Ravens players and *only* Ravens players.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still a conspiracy against the team and the city of Baltimore with all these unnecessarily harsh penalties that come down on Ravens players and *only* Ravens players.

So...they're upset...that there was *any* suspension?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]492378549613887488[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

headline writer with another winner :L

Status
Not open for further replies.