• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tom Brady frees up $24M for Pats

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I love about being a fan.......we all talk like we've been inside the room observing what took place and we speak as if we know exactly what has and will occur because we have an original copy of the contract in our sweaty little paws. Then we start name calling other people who express their point of expertise because, after all, Patriots fans are so blinded by the red, white and blue glasses they wear and only the people who wear orange and blue glasses or purple and black glasses, or toilet blue glasses can clearly see and understand what has been reported by a third party.

For those of you who have a copy of the original contract, could you fax me a copy so I can read it and publicly apologize for everything I got wrong?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I love about being a fan.......we all talk like we've been inside the room observing what took place and we speak as if we know exactly what has and will occur because we have an original copy of the contract in our sweaty little paws. Then we start name calling other people who express their point of expertise because, after all, Patriots fans are so blinded by the red, white and blue glasses they wear and only the people who wear orange and blue glasses or purple and black glasses, or toilet blue glasses can clearly see and understand what has been reported by a third party.

For those of you who have a copy of the original contract, could you fax me a copy so I can read it and publicly apologize for everything I got wrong?

Well legally I am not allowed to fax that to you BigKen. That would get a person fired.

Now to the actual contract. Really this does not help or hurt the Patriots a whole lot in my opinion. This isn't them getting $24 million in Cap Space. In reality it is them losing $3 million in cap space over the next 3-years if Brady is on the team during those 3-years. Which in reality is not a whole lot and really still has Brady vastly underpaid compared to other quarterbacks in the NFL. So his contract is still a very sweet deal for the Patriots compared to what Brady could command. Really what this contract change does is it frees up $24 million cash in hand. Really it is as simple as that. The Patriots would have had to put that into an account at the end of week 17 of this year if they hadn't made this change. It is not money that is given to Brady right away but it is money that is fully guaranteed to him that the NFL requires a team to put aside to show that they are not trying to skip out on paying guaranteed money. So it is money really that Brady will most likely earn at some point anyway but instead of putting it into essentially a savings account they still have that money in the checking account and just have to make sure to have enough after each year to pay what Brady is owed.

So now some are saying that Cash on hand will help the Patriots sign some of the players that maybe they wouldn't have otherwise. Not sure how accurate that really is considering the owner has $4 billion right now. Is it really that big of a deal for him whether $24 million goes into a savings account or not? This does however change things in Brady can be cut now without completely screwing things up cap wise for the team and gives Brady a little more leeway if say the Patriots decide to move on from him that Brady can now pick the team he wants to go to instead of just having to go where he is traded.

So again this doesn't really help or hurt the team a whole lot other than giving some more freedom when they want to move on from Brady in the future.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, he helps the cash available to the Patriots to get better players around him.
This tells me he wants to continue to win.

But its not charity.
His base pay rises $1 million more per year, and he can become an unrestricted free agent if he is cut or waived.

If he gets injured, the guaranteed money is paid.

Exactly. He still gets paid while he's here. what? 7, 8 million?

If he can't play anymore he gets 24 million. If his skills decline according Bill and he gets cut he goes on the open market and gets some team to give him a lot of money to play.

In the meantime the Pats have more money to get some more talent which is all Brady wants anyway.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to 98.5/radio today= all parties are extremely happy with what took place on that ($24-mill.).,......end of di$cussion.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. He still gets paid while he's here. what? 7, 8 million?

If he can't play anymore he gets 24 million. If his skills decline according Bill and he gets cut he goes on the open market and gets some team to give him a lot of money to play.

In the meantime the Pats have more money to get some more talent which is all Brady wants anyway.
....as long as bob kraft is ~breathing~......Brady is NOT going anywhere the next three years.