• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2018 Recruiting Thread

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Washington has had a great track record of developing NFL DBs. He did it all since 2014 at mid-major schools with inferior talent. That is developing kids. Getting a 5 star into the NFL isn't nearly the same accomplishment.
No he doesn't. You're giving him credit for coaching 1 season of two of those guys, but what about their other 3 years? Does he get credit for those too? The guy hasn't done anything to even be brought into this conversation.

Oh, and of the five 1st rounders OSU has at DB over the past few years, two of those were 3-star kids and zero of them were 5-stars. In fact, Malik Hooker was thought of as a better basketball player and we turned him into a guy getting Ed Reed comps.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the talk on Hooker. Insane athlete and a great prospect at Safety, but a project.

PFF scouting report: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State | PFF

Lot of fist round kids were "born" there, not developed. Myles Garrett/Clowney are perfect examples. Athletic freaks that were going in the 1st round as long as they didnt screw up their lives. People tend to give coaches way too much credit for developing kids.
Yeah he's getting comps to Ed Reed, and if not for his injury would've likely been a top 5 pick. He showed off plenty of developed skill last year.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he's getting comps to Ed Reed, and if not for his injury would've likely been a top 5 pick. He showed off plenty of developed skill last year.

Read the scouting report. There are a bunch of them out there and they same pretty much the same thing. Nothing in the report screams good coaching. It actually brings his coaching at OSU into question.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked it up
OSU has had 5 CBs drafted since 2014. 4 4 stars and 1 3 star (Roby). Grant, Apple, and Lattimore were composite .97, high 4 stars..

That compares to Washington having 4 CBs drafted. Only 1 of them being a 3 star, the rest were lower.

I will say that is damn impressive

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kid's a baller and the body type we want he's gonna shoot up the rankings. Good to pull a kid out of Houston too.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kid's a baller and the body type we want he's gonna shoot up the rankings. Good to pull a kid out of Houston too.

He is a good player. The state of Texas is loaded at DB. Practically any other year he would be top 2-3 in the state.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a good player. The state of Texas is loaded at DB. Practically any other year he would be top 2-3 in the state.

It's weird how things go in cycles like that. One year it's DB's, the next it's WR's. Can never have too many DB's in this conference.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of DBs....

So this weekend BJ Foster will be at Texas with Caden Sterns and Ron Tatum, both recent commits.

But yeah, he's clearly leaning Ohio State.......LMAO

And yes, Texas is LOADED at DB this year. Anthony Cook might be the best DB in the country. Jalen Green, Caden Sterns, Leon O'Neal, BJ Foster are all IMO top 10-20 guys nationwide.

I kind of feel bad for Nebraska and Aggy for pursuing the Moore twins, they're the least talented of the group......they're decent players but not on the level of these other kids.

If your school is recruiting any of these guys you're going to get a good player for certain.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the scouting report. There are a bunch of them out there and they same pretty much the same thing. Nothing in the report screams good coaching. It actually brings his coaching at OSU into question.
Yeah, it doesn't call his coaching into question. You brought one scouting report into the equation. He has been compared to Reed by multiple different outlets. The fact you're trying to act like his success is somehow a black mark on OSU's secondary coaches is laughable, but keep up your delusions. We'll just keep on churning out first round defensive backs.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked it up
OSU has had 5 CBs drafted since 2014. 4 4 stars and 1 3 star (Roby). Grant, Apple, and Lattimore were composite .97, high 4 stars..

That compares to Washington having 4 CBs drafted. Only 1 of them being a 3 star, the rest were lower.

I will say that is damn impressive
That's just corners, we also have had multiple safeties wind up in the pros. Several of them were not elite recruits. Washington hasn't done anything that compares. Acting as if he's responsible for two guys that he coached for one year is silly.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just corners, we also have had multiple safeties wind up in the pros. Several of them were not elite recruits. Washington hasn't done anything that compares. Acting as if he's responsible for two guys that he coached for one year is silly.

Considering this is about a CB and Texas has a dedicated CB coach, why would I talk about safety?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it doesn't call his coaching into question. You brought one scouting report into the equation. He has been compared to Reed by multiple different outlets. The fact you're trying to act like his success is somehow a black mark on OSU's secondary coaches is laughable, but keep up your delusions. We'll just keep on churning out first round defensive backs.

2017 NFL Draft Profile: Malik Hooker

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.time...k-hooker-nfl-draft-scouting-report?source=dam

https://www.google.com/amp/draftwir...couting-report-malik-hooker-s-ohio-state/amp/

NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Report: Malik Hooker, DB, Ohio State

There are 4 more saying essentially the same thing. Great athlete that is raw and needs coaching

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're confusing quantity and quality. There's nothing whatsoever that is derogatory towards his coaching at OSU, he just hasn't had a lot of playing time. If anything, it's enormously complimentary that he only played for a year but was coached up enough to be a first round pick. He's an elite athlete, but so are a lot of guys. What's your point here exactly? Because you're not helping your cause if you're trying to act like this is a negative towards OSU.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're confusing quantity and quality. There's nothing whatsoever that is derogatory towards his coaching at OSU, he just hasn't had a lot of playing time. If anything, it's enormously complimentary that he only played for a year but was coached up enough to be a first round pick. He's an elite athlete, but so are a lot of guys. What's your point here exactly? Because you're not helping your cause if you're trying to act like this is a negative towards OSU.

I simply said that he was an example of a guy that got drafted, because of his athletic ability. His development is behind right now.

PS: a lot of guys aren't elite athletes. If a lot of guys were elite athletes, they would be called average athletes.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I simply said that he was an example of a guy that got drafted, because of his athletic ability. His development is behind right now.

PS: a lot of guys aren't elite athletes. If a lot of guys were elite athletes, they would be called average athletes.
He got drafted for his ball skills, not just athletic ability. There's nobody outside of Al Davis that is stupid enough to draft a guy simply because he's an elite athlete. He isn't getting Ed Reed comps simply because of his athleticism. He has a nose for the ball and was constantly making plays in the secondary. His development isn't behind at all. He's still not at his peak, but that doesn't mean he's behind. Nobody is saying that. You're the only one who's even loosely trying to make it seem like the OSU coaches failed with him.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got drafted for his ball skills, not just athletic ability. There's nobody outside of Al Davis that is stupid enough to draft a guy simply because he's an elite athlete. He isn't getting Ed Reed comps simply because of his athleticism. He has a nose for the ball and was constantly making plays in the secondary. His development isn't behind at all. He's still not at his peak, but that doesn't mean he's behind. Nobody is saying that. You're the only one who's even loosely trying to make it seem like the OSU coaches failed with him.

I did not say OSU failed. I just said he needs coaching and is far from a finished product. You are crowing about development. I pointed out that many feel Hooker is a raw project coming out of school. He isn't ready like Jamal Adams. That is why a player personnel guys was quoted as saying he will likely good bad in year 1 and be a stud by year 3.

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not say OSU failed. I just said he needs coaching and is far from a finished product. You are crowing about development. I pointed out that many feel Hooker is a raw project coming out of school. He isn't ready like Jamal Adams.
I haven't seen anyone call him a project. He's still not yet at his peak, and it's being said as a compliment not a criticism. He was arguably the best coverage safety in all of college football last year, and his ball skills and instincts are elite. It's not like he's just a freak athlete who was thrown out there at safety, like Jabrill Peppers. He's an elite DB prospect who was All-American last year and still hasn't hit his peak.

They did an amazing job taking a kid who didn't even play football until his junior year of high school and turning him into an All-American by his 3rd season. That's the sort of elite coaching you get at OSU.