• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2017 trade deadline thread - or "someone shackle Benning for God's sake 2017"

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey News Winners and Losers...

NO. 1 LOSER – OTTAWA SENATORS

Look, we like depth just as much as the next guy, but that’s all it is, depth. Adding Alex Burrows and Victor Stalberg to your lineup is not exactly tilting the balance of power in the Eastern Conference. The Senators gave up what could turn out to be an excellent long-term project in Jonathan Dahlen to get Burrows, then signed Burrows to a two-year contract extension. Head scratch. But the real error, in this writer’s opinion, was dealing Curtis Lazar, who will flourish in Calgary after being almost ruined by the Senators.

Who knows if he will flourish (bit over the top methinks), I don't mind the move at the expense of a 2nd round pick.

Ranking the 2017 trade deadline winners and losers | The Hockey News

If moving Lazar is his basis for them being "losers" then you might as well just wad that article up and wipe your arse with it.

Lazar is a good kid with a really good motor, but he isn't skilled and has almost no offensive IQ to speak of. He might figure it out and he's got enough tools to definitely stay on an NHL 4th line for a while, even if he never figures it out. He was done in Ottawa though.

Most likely scenario is he becomes a poor man's (yes, a poor man's) Chad Kilger.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey News Winners and Losers...

NO. 1 LOSER – OTTAWA SENATORS

Look, we like depth just as much as the next guy, but that’s all it is, depth. Adding Alex Burrows and Victor Stalberg to your lineup is not exactly tilting the balance of power in the Eastern Conference. The Senators gave up what could turn out to be an excellent long-term project in Jonathan Dahlen to get Burrows, then signed Burrows to a two-year contract extension. Head scratch. But the real error, in this writer’s opinion, was dealing Curtis Lazar, who will flourish in Calgary after being almost ruined by the Senators.

Who knows if he will flourish (bit over the top methinks), I don't mind the move at the expense of a 2nd round pick.

Ranking the 2017 trade deadline winners and losers | The Hockey News

We're not in the top 5 losers, so I'm confused. Does that mean we aren't in the lottery?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If moving Lazar is his basis for them being "losers" then you might as well just wad that article up and wipe your arse with it.

Lazar is a good kid with a really good motor, but he isn't skilled and has almost no offensive IQ to speak of. He might figure it out and he's got enough tools to definitely stay on an NHL 4th line for a while, even if he never figures it out. He was done in Ottawa though.

Most likely scenario is he becomes a poor man's (yes, a poor man's) Chad Kilger.
I mean, I'm not sure how Ottawa won with Lazar? He was a first round pick in a half-decent draft and he's now a second round pick in a half-crap draft (according to everyone, so it'll probably wind up good anyway) and a middling prospect. It was the only thing for the GM left to do in this situation but that's a loss

Also, he mentioned the Burrows thing, which, uh, big L.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry my friend, barring an epic collapse, playoff hockey is coming back to Nationwide.

I am not sure what this means. Can someone give me an idea of when this is going to happen and whether it will affect the OSU Spring Football game?

:D

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok i bit ... i wanted to see where he put the canucks ... and yah #2 winner ... seems like thats the consenus out there ... but this >>> And "dealing Jannik Hansen’s expiring contract"

expiring ???

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I'm not sure how Ottawa won with Lazar? He was a first round pick in a half-decent draft and he's now a second round pick in a half-crap draft (according to everyone, so it'll probably wind up good anyway) and a middling prospect. It was the only thing for the GM left to do in this situation but that's a loss

Also, he mentioned the Burrows thing, which, uh, big L.

You're right. It's an extremely well written piece. :rolleyes2:

2013 was actually pretty much a shit draft outside the top 10.

Lazar was a lost asset for Ottawa. To get a mid-round 2nd and a small upgrade on D depth is a win, if anything. He wasn't going anywhere in Ottawa. The loss happened at the draft table 4 years ago.

Outside of the Burrows deal which I obviously don't like at all but in all probability becomes a nothing trade, I like what they did. Ottawa now has a really good bottom 6 with a good measure of speed.

I get that people didn't like the Burrows trade but if the bulk of your argument is that they lost because Lazar is going to Calgary to become a star, then you haven't watched Curtis Lazar play since junior and your article sucks.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that people didn't like the Burrows trade but if the bulk of your argument is that they lost because Lazar is going to Calgary to become a star, then you haven't watched Curtis Lazar play since junior and your article sucks.

His questions suck as well:

CAMPBELL: “This is an organization where goaltending has been an issue for a number of years.”

BABCOCK: “Well, it’s five games in, isn’t it?

CAMPBELL: “Yeah, yeah it is.”

BABCOCK: “So, look around the stats in the League. Let’s take a deep breath here.”

CAMPBELL: “Well, I mean, it’s been a pattern in the Leafs organization for quite a number of years.”

BABCOCK: “I wouldn’t know, I’ve only been here once.”

CAMPBELL: “And the guy on Saturday night said the Leafs goaltending has been lousy this year, and I’m just wondering…”

BABCOCK: “Who did?”

CAMPBELL: “The guy on Saturday night, Don Cherry. He said the Leafs goaltending has been lousy.”

BABCOCK: [Looks around, dumbfounded, not having heard that it was Don Cherry]

VOICE FROM MEDIA: “Grapes.”

BABCOCK: “Oh, OK. Now that I know where I’m getting the facts from, here we go! [Laughter] C’mon, let’s move on, what’s next here? Holy shit.”

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. It's an extremely well written piece. :rolleyes2:
Never said it was? Like Dash said the writer was over the top but I think it merits an L when discussing Lazar and the Sens whether you think the L was earned yesterday or in the past few months or in 2013.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His questions suck as well:

CAMPBELL: “This is an organization where goaltending has been an issue for a number of years.”

BABCOCK: “Well, it’s five games in, isn’t it?

CAMPBELL: “Yeah, yeah it is.”

BABCOCK: “So, look around the stats in the League. Let’s take a deep breath here.”

CAMPBELL: “Well, I mean, it’s been a pattern in the Leafs organization for quite a number of years.”

BABCOCK: “I wouldn’t know, I’ve only been here once.”

CAMPBELL: “And the guy on Saturday night said the Leafs goaltending has been lousy this year, and I’m just wondering…”

BABCOCK: “Who did?”

CAMPBELL: “The guy on Saturday night, Don Cherry. He said the Leafs goaltending has been lousy.”

BABCOCK: [Looks around, dumbfounded, not having heard that it was Don Cherry]

VOICE FROM MEDIA: “Grapes.”

BABCOCK: “Oh, OK. Now that I know where I’m getting the facts from, here we go! [Laughter] C’mon, let’s move on, what’s next here? Holy shit.”
The funnier thing to me was reporters getting all pissed when his name got public as the guy who had this exchange with Babcock. Like, hey guys, he's making you all look bad!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 was actually pretty much a shit draft outside the top 10.

I happen to like that draft :D

#14 - Alex Wennberg, the guy who is making us forget Johansen.
#19 - Rychel (okay, bust)
#27 Marko Dano - Part of what landed us Brandon Saad
#50 Dillon Heatherington - Just landed us a veteran 2-way forward who is cheap
#89 Oliver Bjorkstrand - finally coming into his own.

Probably helps that we also now have the #4 overall guy from that year too.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I happen to like that draft :D

Probably helps that we also now have the #4 overall guy from that year too.

That trade is actually looking not too shabby right about now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That trade is actually looking not too shabby right about now.
It's about even. RyJo's production this season isn't at the level it was his last full year in CBJ but all of the Preds seemed to stumble early. He's been a point-per-game player since Jan. 1. He also has killer possession and GA60 stats.

Meanwhile, Jones and Werenski are likely going to be one of the better defensive partnerships in the NHL for the next few years.

Neither side can really complain, although neither side was particularly deep up the middle and Nashville were really the only party dealing from a position of strength given their blue line depth (made even better thanks to a bad trade by Marc Bergevin). CBJ are relying on Dubois to become a top C and judging by this year that might not be such a sure thing.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about even. RyJo's production this season isn't at the level it was his last full year in CBJ but all of the Preds seemed to stumble early. He's been a point-per-game player since Jan. 1. He also has killer possession and GA60 stats.

Meanwhile, Jones and Werenski are likely going to be one of the better defensive partnerships in the NHL for the next few years.

Neither side can really complain, although neither side was particularly deep up the middle and Nashville were really the only party dealing from a position of strength given their blue line depth (made even better thanks to a bad trade by Marc Bergevin). CBJ are relying on Dubois to become a top C and judging by this year that might not be such a sure thing.

Dubois has started to catch fire a bit since his trade in the Q, and Alex Wennberg's emergence as a legit playmaker is helping.

The problem is our second line center is Brandon Dubinski. We need a serious upgrade there. I don't think Dubois will be the #1 C anytime soon.

I liove Jones, and watching him with Werenski is fucking amazing. But considering that the Jackets have some solid D prospects (Gabe Carlsson should show up next year and be #3 out of the gate), and 6 NHL D men on the ice right now (even Jack Johnson whose limited minutes are helping) I don't know if letting go of a legit #1C was such a great idea.

I am not looking the gift horse in the mouth, because this year has been fun. But I don't think this year happened only because of Jones and I don't think Johansen being instead here hurts us terribly.

Jarmo got backed into a corner by his coach and the media and panicked. He fired too soon. I am glad he got Jones instead of panicking into someone like Brooks Orpik, but I wonder what he could have done if he wasn't so pressed. Might we have wound up in some bizarro universe where we had both?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dubois has started to catch fire a bit since his trade in the Q, and Alex Wennberg's emergence as a legit playmaker is helping.

The problem is our second line center is Brandon Dubinski. We need a serious upgrade there. I don't think Dubois will be the #1 C anytime soon.

I liove Jones, and watching him with Werenski is fucking amazing. But considering that the Jackets have some solid D prospects (Gabe Carlsson should show up next year and be #3 out of the gate), and 6 NHL D men on the ice right now (even Jack Johnson whose limited minutes are helping) I don't know if letting go of a legit #1C was such a great idea.

I am not looking the gift horse in the mouth, because this year has been fun. But I don't think this year happened only because of Jones and I don't think Johansen being instead here hurts us terribly.

Jarmo got backed into a corner by his coach and the media and panicked. He fired too soon. I am glad he got Jones instead of panicking into someone like Brooks Orpik, but I wonder what he could have done if he wasn't so pressed. Might we have wound up in some bizarro universe where we had both?
If Dubois is a 2C by 2018-19 everything should work out. He still need to start showing some serious progress - even after the trade, 29 pts in 20 games in the Q isn't much production (I see the Q as the weakest CHL league). Just to compare with some recent top prospects out of the Q in their draft +1 years, Drouin had 108 points in 76 games and Huberdeau had 72 points in 37 games.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I was wondering why the Canucks didn't take Ference's dead contract off of edmonton's hands for a pick.

5. Not sure what Edmonton was trying to pursue in moving Andrew Ference’s expiring contract, but it sounds very intriguing. What made things more difficult is that it wasn’t insured, so an acquiring team had to be willing to spend the cash

that most certainly explains it