• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2016 Recruiting Thread

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seriously listed Alex Smith? Dunlap is good, not a stud, Harvin's a bust, Easley was drafted in 2014, he doesn't count, all the other guys are just that guys.
Smith hasn't been a star but he's had a long and fairly successful career.

Dunlap is without question one of the top DEs in the NFL. He's started every game in the last 3 years and has 29 sacks in that timeframe, including 13.5 this season (4th in the NFL).

Harvin is a bust mostly because of injuries, but when he was healthy he was a gamebreaker.

Easley played 1 season for Urban, so in the same way Harbaugh left that talent for David Shaw, Urban left Easley for Muschamp.

The 3 OL I mentioned from Ohio State are all very young and are already established, very good starters on their respective teams.

Also, as I pointed out, Urban is about to put an absurd amount of talent into the NFL this season, with possibly 8 players (Bosa, Elliott, Decker, Apple, Bell, Washington, Marshall, Braxton) projected to go in the first 2 rounds. That is almost unrivaled. They'll challenge both the record for most players drafted and possibly most 1st round picks this year. That also doesn't count Pat Elflein (projected 2nd-3rd round) who is coming back, and Raekwon McMillan who would likely be in the 1st round level if he was eligible this year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dunlap is without question one of the top DEs in the NFL. He's started every game in the last 3 years and has 29 sacks in that timeframe, including 13.5 this season (4th in the NFL).

Harvin is a bust mostly because of injuries, but when he was healthy he was a gamebreaker.

Easley played 1 season for Urban, so in the same way Harbaugh left that talent for David Shaw, Urban left Easley for Muschamp.

The 3 OL I mentioned from Ohio State are all very young and are already established, very good starters on their respective teams.

Also, as I pointed out, Urban is about to put an absurd amount of talent into the NFL this season, with possibly 8 players (Bosa, Elliott, Decker, Apple, Bell, Washington, Marshall, Braxton) projected to go in the first 2 rounds. That is almost unrivaled. They'll challenge both the record for most players drafted and possibly most 1st round picks this year. That also doesn't count Pat Elflein (projected 2nd-3rd round) who is coming back, and Raekwon McMillan who would likely be in the 1st round level if he was eligible this year.

Smith is the definition of mediocre. Dunlap is good, finally made his first pro bowl this year(similar trajectory to DeCastro, who you said was "alright")

Easley has done very little in his two years in New England.

Indy's O-line and GB's O-line's are both atrocious. Norwell is a solid lineman

And yeah Ohio State is putting a lot of guys in the league this year, we'll see how they turn out. In terms of putting "studs" into the league Urban hasn't had anymore than Harbaugh IMO.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no doubt in my mind that Urban Meyer is a great recruiter and one of the top college coaches. He runs a gimmick offense with blocking schemes you aren't going to see in the NFL. It is HUGELY successful in college. You can spread teams out and pick out the weak spots. It leaves many players behind the learning curve though, which just the jump to the NFL is tough enough to adjust to.

This isn't a knock on Urban Meyer -- Many teams run the same type of offense. It is why we see a lot of Big 12 QB's struggle in the NFL once they have to go under center and throw from the pocket. It is why some WR's struggle from spread offenses because they aren't required to run a full route tree in college.

In no way am I saying Urban Meyer isn't a great coach -- he is one of the best in all of college and he is in a state that is talent rich for football and doesn't have a competing university to deal with. OSU will always be loaded and with Meyer, he will get talent from all over the country as well.

With UM's offense -- they are running an offense you see on Sunday's, the same way 'Bama does. I think that will help UM, especially with Harbaugh as the coach. He has been in the same situation the athletes are going thru -- he went thru the recruiting as a player, was in the NFL as a player and in 4 years turned SF into one of the best teams in the NFL and Colin Kaepernick into a quality QB, which fell completely apart when Harbaugh left.

I don't know if any of this is true or not -- it is only my opinion, but it seems like it would hold a lot of weight to top recruits and most likely had a lot to do with UM having their highest rated class ever in his 1st year. If others haven't noticed -- Michigan isn't stacked with talent at the high school level -- though next year -- Donovan Peoples-Jones is going to be one of the most sought after WR recruits in the country. 6'2" runs a 4.41 with 42" vertical as a junior. Won the Nike Football Rating Challenge at the Opening this year, as a junior. Absolute FREAK athlete.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is the definition of mediocre. Dunlap is good, finally made his first pro bowl this year(similar trajectory to DeCastro, who you said was "alright")

Easley has done very little in his two years in New England.

Indy's O-line and GB's O-line's are both atrocious. Norwell is a solid lineman

And yeah Ohio State is putting a lot of guys in the league this year, we'll see how they turn out. In terms of putting "studs" into the league Urban hasn't had anymore than Harbaugh IMO.
Actually, GB had the 7th ranked OL in the league according to PFF (far from atrocious), and Linsley was a huge part of that in only his second season in the league.

The Panthers rated 2nd in large part due to Norwell

Indy only rated 15th (average, not atrovious), and PFF rated Mewhort as the best player on their line. All 3 of these guys are also just a couple years removed from suiting up for the Buckeyes.

Hankins was also tied for 7th-best DT according to PFF, and even made the PFF annual all-pro team.

If you want to equate Dunlap and Decastro, that's fine. I admittedly hadn't heard from Decastro for a couple of years, and what I had heard in the early on was that he was struggling quite a bit. Dunlap, on the other hand, has been pretty much a top-notch DE ever since his rookie season when he notched 9.5 sacks.

Add in the Pounceys and Haden and Urban has about as impressive of a resume as any coach out there in terms of grooming successful college players for becoming successful pros.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt in my mind that Urban Meyer is a great recruiter and one of the top college coaches. He runs a gimmick offense with blocking schemes you aren't going to see in the NFL. It is HUGELY successful in college. You can spread teams out and pick out the weak spots. It leaves many players behind the learning curve though, which just the jump to the NFL is tough enough to adjust to.
Actually, he currently has at least 5 former players starting on NFL offensive lines, and all 5 have been at the very least solid starters, if not fantastic. He may have more from his Florida days, but off the top of my head I only know of the Pounceys.

Add in Taylor Decker, a likely first rounder, and Pat Elflein, who had been projected as a 2nd rounder, and I don't think NFL teams seem to have a problem with the offensive linemen he puts out.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I decided to look up the players sent to the NFL by Harbaugh, including the "no brainer" Luck.

Luck was a 4 star QB and his choices were between Stanford, Purdue, Northwestern and Temple. He was the #3 PP QB out of HS and #49 player overall.

Decastro was a 3 star
Zach Ertz was a 3 star
Fleener was a 2 star on some and 3 star on others.

So he definitely wasn't getting elite classes when he started at Stanford. He helped turn them into elite players though.

While looking up luck. I found an article about the other QB he was going for if Luck fell through. It was RGIII. So he seems to be able to identify elite QBs

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, GB had the 7th ranked OL in the league according to PFF (far from atrocious), and Linsley was a huge part of that in only his second season in the league.

The Panthers rated 2nd in large part due to Norwell

Indy only rated 15th (average, not atrovious), and PFF rated Mewhort as the best player on their line. All 3 of these guys are also just a couple years removed from suiting up for the Buckeyes.

Hankins was also tied for 7th-best DT according to PFF, and even made the PFF annual all-pro team.

If you want to equate Dunlap and Decastro, that's fine. I admittedly hadn't heard from Decastro for a couple of years, and what I had heard in the early on was that he was struggling quite a bit. Dunlap, on the other hand, has been pretty much a top-notch DE ever since his rookie season when he notched 9.5 sacks.

Add in the Pounceys and Haden and Urban has about as impressive of a resume as any coach out there in terms of grooming successful college players for becoming successful pros.

GB and Indy both had awful lines according to Football Outsiders. Linsley isn't even GB's best O-lineman(Sitton) and being the best O-lineman on an awful O-line doesn't really do much for me. Also, I think the main reason why the Panthers have a such a good O-line is because of their two Pro bowlers(Kahlil, Turner), but like I said Norwell is a good lineman.

The Pouncey's and Haden are studs at their positions, but nobody else.

Honestly for as many players as Urban's put in the league I'm surprised that they haven't had more success.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB and Indy both had awful lines according to Football Outsiders. Linsley isn't even GB's best O-lineman(Sitton) and being the best O-lineman on an awful O-line doesn't really do much for me. Also, I think the main reason why the Panthers have a such a good O-line is because of their two Pro bowlers(Kahlil, Turner), but like I said Norwell is a good lineman.

Honestly for as many players as Urban's put in the league I'm surprised that they haven't had more success.
GB was atrocious this year on the OL punctuated in the Cardinals game in the regular season with Rodgers getting sacked 9 times. To put it in perspective -- detroit had a bad OL and Stafford still finish with a better QB rating than Rodgers which was a first

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caleb Kelly to OU.

boom.gif

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whatever you gotta tell yourself, even though the people who get paid to analyze pro players disagree.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever you gotta tell yourself, even though the people who get paid to analyze pro players disagree.

I just consider a "stud" being able to make multiple pro bowls in a respective career. Like Zack Martin is a stud already for the Cowboys(ND alum) made two pro bowls in his first 2 years.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just consider a "stud" being able to make multiple pro bowls in a respective career. Like Zack Martin is a stud already for the Cowboys(ND alum) made two pro bowls in his first 2 years.
I'm not saying the OSU linemen are at his level, but they're all pretty damn good and have also only been in the league for 2 years. In fact, most of those guys I mentioned are pretty young.

Also, on this topic, given all the guys I've mentioned, who else really has had that much more success?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying the OSU linemen are at his level, but they're all pretty damn good and have also only been in the league for 2 years. In fact, most of those guys I mentioned are pretty young.

Also, on this topic, given all the guys I've mentioned, who else really has had that much more success?

Off the top of my head, I'd say Les(not really close), Saban and Richt have put more better players in the NFL.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the top of my head, I'd say Les(not really close), Saban and Richt have put more better players in the NFL.
I'll give you Les, especially recently. OBJ, Landry, Mathiu, Peterson, Le'el Collins are all studs and he has some pretty good players otherwise.

Saban and Richt, sure I'll give you those. A big difference here, as well, is that Urban took a year off and then switched schools, so he's really just starting to hit his stride in terms of putting big-time talent into the pros at Ohio State. I'd say this year's class is a great start. McShay's current projection has Ohio State putting a record 7 players in the first round, which in and of itself is a huge feather in Meyer's cap that he's managed to coach up that many players to such an elite standing.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I decided to look up the players sent to the NFL by Harbaugh, including the "no brainer" Luck.

Luck was a 4 star QB and his choices were between Stanford, Purdue, Northwestern and Temple. He was the #3 PP QB out of HS and #49 player overall.

Decastro was a 3 star
Zach Ertz was a 3 star
Fleener was a 2 star on some and 3 star on others.

So he definitely wasn't getting elite classes when he started at Stanford. He helped turn them into elite players though.

While looking up luck. I found an article about the other QB he was going for if Luck fell through. It was RGIII. So he seems to be able to identify elite QBs

One QB=identifying elite QB's lol. Luck has actually been a huge bust in the NFL, honestly (comp pct 58% and he has underachieved especially with the hype...kinda weird saying bust but in the eyes of many could be true). While Harbaugh is a great recruiter and somewhat player developer, I would put a handful of coaches ahead of him that have the track record and experience.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One QB=identifying elite QB's lol. Luck has actually been a huge bust in the NFL, honestly (comp pct 58% and he has underachieved especially with the hype...kinda weird saying bust but in the eyes of many could be true). While Harbaugh is a great recruiter and somewhat player developer, I would put a handful of coaches ahead of him that have the track record and experience.
He went to San Diego, a school that had never been in the top 25, nor won a division title. In 3 years, they won division titles his last two years and his QB josh johnson had 113 tds and 14 ints over 3 years and is the only SD player in the NFL. Next was Luck at Stanford. His backup plan QB if he didn't getting luck was RGIII. I'd say luck worked out. He then went to SF where he turned Alex Smith into a quality QB until he felt they would get further with Kaepernick. Because of Harbaugh, Kaep got a monster contract. How has he done since Harbaugh left? He was benched for Blaine Gabbert. Lastly, Ruddock was supposedly a game manager, but in one year at UM, he finished with one of the best seasons statistically in the programs history and now looks like he will get drafted.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again. When jameis winston and Bryce Petty were prepping for the draft last year. Where did they go? Alabama? OSU? Oregon? FsU? No. They came to Michigan to spend a week or two with Harbaugh.