• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2016 Recruiting Thread

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants to play in the NFL. Name another coach in the NCAA that was named Coach of the Year in college and then coach of the year in the NFL?

It is going to be fun. Adding Gary to the players UM has returning on defense. It will be fun to watch them.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants to play in the NFL. Name another coach in the NCAA that was named Coach of the Year in college and then coach of the year in the NFL?

It is going to be fun. Adding Gary to the players UM has returning on defense. It will be fun to watch them.
If he wants to go to the NFL, he should've gone to Ohio State. We're about to tie our own record for number of draft picks from a single program in a single draft, and could have upwards of 5-6 first round picks.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants to go to the NFL, he should've gone to Ohio State. We're about to tie our own record for number of draft picks from a single program in a single draft, and could have upwards of 5-6 first round picks.
I have no problem giving props to urban meyer he is a very good recruiter and his offensenior works great in college. I am liking Harbaugh's chances going forward as he has proven he knows what it takes to not only get to the next level, but knows what it takes to win at the next level, as a player and coach. I think that will go a long way with kids who want to go on to the NFL and not be behind the curve after playing in a spread offense in college. It is great to put up stats in college, but the next level, they will be in a different offense and have to learn all new concepts.
That is just my opinion and why it is exciting to have Harbaugh back.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Nick Saban is hording 5 star players again.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem giving props to urban meyer he is a very good recruiter and his offensenior works great in college. I am liking Harbaugh's chances going forward as he has proven he knows what it takes to not only get to the next level, but knows what it takes to win at the next level, as a player and coach. I think that will go a long way with kids who want to go on to the NFL and not be behind the curve after playing in a spread offense in college. It is great to put up stats in college, but the next level, they will be in a different offense and have to learn all new concepts.
That is just my opinion and why it is exciting to have Harbaugh back.
To be fair, has Harbaugh really put anyone in the NFL worth a lick outside of Andrew Luck (who, let's be honest, was going to be a stud wherever he played college)? I know he was only with Stanford for a few years, but being a good coach for a couple of years in the NFL doesn't really mean you know how to (or are really interested in) groom players for that level.

Guys like Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier were major NFL flops as HC but have put more than their fair share of elite talent in the league from the college ranks.

Not saying it's a 100% guarantee that Gary's pro prospects would increase playing for OSU as opposed to michigan, but I think you play up his "had a couple of successful years in the pros" aspect a bit much, all things considered.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, has Harbaugh really put anyone in the NFL worth a lick outside of Andrew Luck (who, let's be honest, was going to be a stud wherever he played college)? I know he was only with Stanford for a few years, but being a good coach for a couple of years in the NFL doesn't really mean you know how to (or are really interested in) groom players for that level.

Guys like Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier were major NFL flops as HC but have put more than their fair share of elite talent in the league from the college ranks.

Not saying it's a 100% guarantee that Gary's pro prospects would increase playing for OSU as opposed to michigan, but I think you play up his "had a couple of successful years in the pros" aspect a bit much, all things considered.

He left a ton of talent for Shaw who would subsequently get drafted in the next year or 2.

Andrew Luck
Coby Fleener
David DeCastro
Jonathan Martin
Zach Ertz
Stephan Taylor

Also coached Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He left a ton of talent for Shaw who would subsequently get drafted in the next year or 2.

Andrew Luck
Coby Fleener
David DeCastro
Jonathan Martin
Zach Ertz
Stephan Taylor

Also coached Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin.
Luck and Sherman are really the only bonafide studs on this group. Baldwin seems to be much more a product of Russell Wilson than anything he learned in college, and Sherman really didn't come into his own until he got into the NFL either. Decastro has been alright, but otherwise it's not that great of a group.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would you rather I play up what he did at San Diego? Took a losing program that hadn't won a conference title, to a team that finished 11-1 the last two years (he was there 4 years, I think)
Maybe Stanford, who was a bottom feeder and coming off a 1-11 season and in his 4th or 5th year, they finished 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl. SF speaks for itself. There is a reason he was named the college coach of the year his last year at Stanford and the NFL coach of the year his 1st year at SF.
The reason I think this is. He not only gets the best out of his players. He personally knows what it takes to get to the NFL. He has already lived the dream these players have coming out of high school. He has been the coach combing thru the combine and the interviews. Why do you think Marcus Marriotta and Jameis Winston came to Michigan for a week before the combine last year?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather I play up what he did at San Diego? Took a losing program that hadn't won a conference title, to a team that finished 11-1 the last two years (he was there 4 years, I think)
Maybe Stanford, who was a bottom feeder and coming off a 1-11 season and in his 4th or 5th year, they finished 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl. SF speaks for itself. There is a reason he was named the college coach of the year his last year at Stanford and the NFL coach of the year his 1st year at SF.
The reason I think this is. He not only gets the best out of his players. He personally knows what it takes to get to the NFL. He has already lived the dream these players have coming out of high school. He has been the coach combing thru the combine and the interviews. Why do you think Marcus Marriotta and Jameis Winston came to Michigan for a week before the combine last year?
Trust me, I've been on record on this site trumpeting his career accomplishments. What he did at both San Diego and Stanford, as well as in SF, is amazing and he deserves every bit of respect in that regard. It appears he's also well on his way at michigan. I was just saying, in this one regard, I guess it's hard to compare it to anything because there have been very few, if any, successful NFL coaches who have returned to the college ranks seemingly in their prime.

He may end up turning michigan into an NFL factory sooner rather than later. I'll give him credit, as I said, he seems to have them on the right path.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck and Sherman are really the only bonafide studs on this group. Baldwin seems to be much more a product of Russell Wilson than anything he learned in college, and Sherman really didn't come into his own until he got into the NFL either. Decastro has been alright, but otherwise it's not that great of a group.
Decastro was named 1st team All-Pro this year. Zach Ertz just signed a 43 million dollar contract extension.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was only there for 4 years, and he took over a complete dumpster fire.

And outside of Pouncey and Haden what studs has Urban put into the NFL?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me, I've been on record on this site trumpeting his career accomplishments. What he did at both San Diego and Stanford, as well as in SF, is amazing and he deserves every bit of respect in that regard. It appears he's also well on his way at michigan. I was just saying, in this one regard, I guess it's hard to compare it to anything because there have been very few, if any, successful NFL coaches who have returned to the college ranks seemingly in their prime.

He may end up turning michigan into an NFL factory sooner rather than later. I'll give him credit, as I said, he seems to have them on the right path.
That is the reason he gets all the publicity. Successful NFL coaches don't leave the NFL. The reason Saban, Spurrier, etc. Came back to college is because they weren't successful in the NFL.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decastro was named 1st team All-Pro this year. Zach Ertz just signed a 43 million dollar contract extension.
You're right, I did see Decastro had a great year this year. Had he done much before this? I know he was drafted back in 2012, and it seemed like he definitely had some struggles early on. I still remember that draft day when he dropped I was hoping Cleveland would grab him. Thankfully we ended up taking Weeden instead. :L

Ertz is one of the hardest guys to get a grip on. In his three years he's had like 6-7 really good games, and then a whole lot of nothing. He seems to have potential, which I think is a big reason he got that deal.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was only there for 4 years, and he took over a complete dumpster fire.

And outside of Pouncey and Haden what studs has Urban put into the NFL?
Both Pounceys have been great
Haden (when he's healthy) is one of the top CBs
Carlos Dunlap is one of the best DEs in the NFL (49 sacks in 5 seasons)
before his injury issues Percy Harvin was one of the most dangerous players in the league with the ball in his hands
Jordan Reed has emerged as an extremely dangerous weapon at TE
Dominique Easley has been very good on the New England defensive line
Alex Smith, who is at least solid and has had a decent career despite playing in some neutered offenses
Bradley Roby starts for Denver and has been fantastic
Jonathan Hankins has been great for the NYG defensive line
Carlos Hyde has the makings of a very good RB
Jack Mewhort is a stud on Indy's OL
Andrew Norwell is a stud on Carolina's OL
Corey Linsley is a stud on GB's OL
Then of course you have the crop of ~14 guys that are going to get drafted this year from Ohio State

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how many recruits are left out there, but if all things hold Michigan currently has a top 5 class and finished a spot behind OSU on most sites. Great class overall for Harbaugh. Hopefully next year's class can be a bit smaller, and targeted at the best possible players.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Pounceys have been great
Haden (when he's healthy) is one of the top CBs
Carlos Dunlap is one of the best DEs in the NFL (49 sacks in 5 seasons)
before his injury issues Percy Harvin was one of the most dangerous players in the league with the ball in his hands
Jordan Reed has emerged as an extremely dangerous weapon at TE
Dominique Easley has been very good on the New England defensive line
Alex Smith, who is at least solid and has had a decent career despite playing in some neutered offenses
Bradley Roby starts for Denver and has been fantastic
Jonathan Hankins has been great for the NYG defensive line
Carlos Hyde has the makings of a very good RB
Jack Mewhort is a stud on Indy's OL
Andrew Norwell is a stud on Carolina's OL
Corey Linsley is a stud on GB's OL
Then of course you have the crop of ~14 guys that are going to get drafted this year from Ohio State

You seriously listed Alex Smith? Dunlap is good, not a stud, Harvin's a bust, Easley was drafted in 2014, he doesn't count, all the other guys are just that guys.