• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

To protect or not to protect?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 40 man roster updated, here is a list of the minor leaguers eligible for drafting in the Rule 5 draft. I think a few of them are possible pick ups but unlikely anyone gets taken. However, the nature of the draft means surprises, so we will see next month.
Pitchers (25)
Martin Agosta, sp
Carlos Alvarado, rp
Bryce Bandilla, rp
Joe Biagini, sp
Jose Casilla, sp
Carlos Diaz, rp
E.J. Encinosa, rp
Austin Fleet, sp
Jason Forjet, sp
Chris Johnson, sp
Joseph Kurrasch, sp
Braulio Lara, rp
Andrew Leenhouts, sp
Jarret Leverett, rp
Matthew Lujan, sp
Phil McCormick, rp
Tyler Mizenko, rp
Reyes Moronta, rp
Randy Ortiz, rp
Jose Reyes, sp
Pedro Rodriguez, rp
Eury Sanchez, rp
Eric Sim, rp
Jack Snodgrass, sp
Jeff Soptic, rp

Catchers (7)
Jeff Arnold
Miguel Gomez
Travis Higgs
Fernando Pujadas
Leo Rojas
Ben Turner
Eliezer Zambrano

Infielders (8)
Mitch Delfino, 3rd
Hector Mercedes, ss
Rando Moreno, ss
Ricky Oropesa, 1st
John Polonius, 2nd
Travious Relaford, ss
Myles Schroder, 3rd
Angel Villalona, 1st

Outfielders (4)
Andrew Cain
Devin Harris
Cristian Paulino
Julio Pena

Is Jose Casilla eligible, even though he walked as a free agent, and re-signed?

I only see Rando Moreno getting taken, and there is a slight chance at that. He could be a solid backup infielder right now at 3B, SS, and 2B. Maybe Phil McCormick too.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Jose Casilla eligible, even though he walked as a free agent, and re-signed?

I only see Rando Moreno getting taken, and there is a slight chance at that. He could be a solid backup infielder right now at 3B, SS, and 2B. Maybe Phil McCormick too.
It is my understanding that a minor league free agent signed before the Rule 5 draft is eligible for the draft, unless that player is added to the 40 man roster. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally a team will sign a minor league free agent to a big league contract to add him to the 40 man so they don't lose him. I want to say the Giants did that with Jesus Guzman a few years ago.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that if we lose anyone, it'll be Biagini.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants released 4 minor league pitchers - Minor League Transactions: Nov. 14-20 - BaseballAmerica.com. With these moves and the minor league free agents signed, here's an updated list of Rule 5 eligible players:

Pitchers (24)

Martin Agosta, sp
Carlos Alvarado, rp
Bryce Bandilla, rp
Joe Biagini, sp
Jose Casilla, sp
Carlos Diaz, rp
Austin Fleet, sp
Jason Forjet, sp
Chris Johnson, sp
Joseph Kurrasch, sp
Braulio Lara, rp
Jarret Leverett, rp
Matthew Lujan, sp
Phil McCormick, rp
Tyler Mizenko, rp
Reyes Moronta, rp
Randy Ortiz, rp
Jose Reyes, sp
Pedro Rodriguez, rp
Ricky Romero, sp
Eury Sanchez, rp
Jack Snodgrass, sp
Jeff Soptic, rp
Albert Suarez, sp

Catchers (7)
Jeff Arnold
Miguel Gomez
Travis Higgs
Fernando Pujadas
Leo Rojas
Ben Turner
Eliezer Zambrano

Infielders (12)
Kyle Blanks, 1st
Mitch Delfino, 3rd
Grant Green, 2nd
Hak-Ju Lee, ss
Hector Mercedes, ss
Rando Moreno, ss
Ricky Oropesa, 1st
John Polonius, 2nd
Travious Relaford, ss
Myles Schroder, 3rd
Angel Villalona, 1st

Outfielders (6)
Junior Arias
Andrew Cain
Devin Harris
Carlos Moncrief
Cristian Paulino
Julio Pena

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devin Harris taken in the triple A portion of the draft by the Diamondbacks.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devin Harris taken in the triple A portion of the draft by the Diamondbacks.
Wow. That is actually a pretty big loss for that phase. Just demonstrates the depth of our system.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Biagini taken by the Blue Jays in the Rule 5 draft.
I would not be surprised to see him stick. Pitchers can be stashed in the bully rather easily.

Although, Toronto is a contending team, so every roster spot is valuable.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. That is actually a pretty big loss for that phase. Just demonstrates the depth of our system.
But if you look at the outfielders in the upper levels, there isn't much there. Consider the following list of guys who would probably be at double A or triple A in 2016 who were already in the organization:
Jarrett Parker and/or Mac Williamson
Daniel Carbonell
Hunter Cole
Tyler Horan (assuming he gets moved up despite his poor numbers in San Jose)

Then you add the three minor league free agents the Giants picked up (Kyle Blanks, Grant Green and Carlos Moncrief) and you have 7 or 8 guys for the two teams. We look pretty thin right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan Lollis and/or Darren Ford back or the team pick up a couple more outfielders in the minor league free agency pool.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you look at the outfielders in the upper levels, there isn't much there. Consider the following list of guys who would probably be at double A or triple A in 2016 who were already in the organization:
Daniel Carbonell
Hunter Cole

Then you add the three minor league free agents the Giants picked up (Kyle Blanks, Grant Green and Carlos Moncrief) and you have 7 or 8 guys for the two teams. We look pretty thin right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan Lollis and/or Darren Ford back or the team pick up a couple more outfielders in the minor league free agency pool.
But you dont protect X OFers, Y infielders and Z pitchers. You only protect players. Just because we are somewhat thin in OFers does not mean we are thin in the minors. pitchers and infielders are actually VERY deep.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Carbonell
Hunter Cole

Austin Slater is also an outfielder. Might be listed as 2B, but he's been converted. Point taken though, we are thin in upper-level outfielders.

Devin Harris is a ho-hum loss for me. He has decent power, but contact and defensive issues. Newly signed minor league free agent Carlos Moncreif basically takes his place with similar talent, but has a higher ceiling.

Not shocked to see Biagini selected, however I'm surprised by the team. The Jays' rotation is full, and he'd be the third lefty in their Pen. They were rumored to be in on Petit as a long man, so maybe that's what they want in Biagini. I expect the Giants will work out a trade that will allow the Jays to keep him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you dont protect X OFers, Y infielders and Z pitchers. You only protect players. Just because we are somewhat thin in OFers does not mean we are thin in the minors. pitchers and infielders are actually VERY deep.
cal, I wasn't trying to argue against overall depth, just pointing out that the loss of Harris is more harmful than one might imagine. I don't remember where it was posted and who posted it, but someone had mentioned the depth of the outfield in the minor leagues. A lot happened these past six months to change that.

You are right about the pitchers, especially, there is a lot of depth throughout the organization, especially at the upper levels. The Giants have no end to possible replacements and trade chips in that area.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin Slater is also an outfielder. Might be listed as 2B, but he's been converted. Point taken though, we are thin in upper-level outfielders.

Devin Harris is a ho-hum loss for me. He has decent power, but contact and defensive issues. Newly signed minor league free agent Carlos Moncreif basically takes his place with similar talent, but has a higher ceiling.

Not shocked to see Biagini selected, however I'm surprised by the team. The Jays' rotation is full, and he'd be the third lefty in their Pen. They were rumored to be in on Petit as a long man, so maybe that's what they want in Biagini. I expect the Giants will work out a trade that will allow the Jays to keep him.
Are you sure it is not the other way around? Looking at playing time, he played all of his games in 2014 in the outfield (mainly right field) but in 2015, he played only 2 games in the outfield (both in San Jose) while he appeared in 7 games at shortstop (again, all at SJ) and 96 games at 2nd base (42 in SJ and 54 in Richmond).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure it is not the other way around? Looking at playing time, he played all of his games in 2014 in the outfield (mainly right field) but in 2015, he played only 2 games in the outfield (both in San Jose) while he appeared in 7 games at shortstop (again, all at SJ) and 96 games at 2nd base (42 in SJ and 54 in Richmond).

Actually yes I got that backwards.

In the AFL, Slater played 7 games at 2B, 10 games in RF and 2 games in LF. I think that will be indicative of his 2016 PT, the Giants will probably switch him a lot between RF and 2B.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A no-control, hard throwing reliever.
Wait, I thought we already had Jeff Soptic? What is interesting about Santos is that, for a hard throwing relief pitcher, his Ks per 9 aren't that exciting.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Giants-related, but the Padres ending up adding FIVE players through the MLB portion of the draft. They took 3 themselves and traded for an additional 2.

Keeping one of these guys on your 25-man roster is painful. But 5???

Clearly, not all 5 will make the team, but that is just insane...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Giants-related, but the Padres ending up adding FIVE players through the MLB portion of the draft. They took 3 themselves and traded for an additional 2.

Keeping one of these guys on your 25-man roster is painful. But 5???

Clearly, not all 5 will make the team, but that is just insane...

I feel like that's a recipe for disaster. Fine by the Padres for trying that, you're basically begging for things to fail. I mean, I guess 2 of them are their's now, so they can send them to the minors. Even 3 is unheard of though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like that's a recipe for disaster. Fine by the Padres for trying that, you're basically begging for things to fail. I mean, I guess 2 of them are their's now, so they can send them to the minors. Even 3 is unheard of though.
None of them can be sent to the minors without clearing waivers. My understanding is that the rules still apply for players traded. By the way, I only count 4 guys on their roster, two they drafted and two more they traded for. Not sure how the number got to 5.

Talk about a reversal from the 2014-2015 offseason. Last year the Padres will making trades for big names and signing big names. Now, they are trading off big names and loading with other teams' excess.

Also, I found it interesting that one of the guys they drafted is named Luis Perdomo. Back in 2008, the Giants drafted another Luis Perdomo from the Cardinals and then the Padres picked him up when he went through waivers. He made 35 appearances with the Padres in 2009 and 1 appearance in 2010.