• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

To all my friends who are Vets or Active

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you.

Sincerely.

I have been a dumbass and been able to be a dumbass things because you have volunteered to protect me and other dumbasses like me and our freedom to be dumbasses.

I thank you.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I typically don't thank vets on this day because it's a day to remember those who lost their lives in service of the country. Veterans' day is for formally thanking vets. However I do recognize one thing specific for vets on this day, and that is many of you lost "brothers" in service to this country. For that I offer the sincerest condolences for what you endured at the time of the loss and now with annual remembrances. I'm sure you wonder at times "why them and not me?".

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you, but like NE75 mentioned;
Memorial Day is for those that gave the ultimate sacrafice.
Veteran's Day is for all of us that served in combat or ever wore the uniform.
Armed Forces Day is for those who are still serving on active, Guard or Reserve status.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armed Forces Day is for those who are still serving on active, Guard or Reserve status.
Sadly, in this day, Few want to think about bad or sad things.

It's much easier to think about the coming summer or the first long weekend of the year.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's much easier to think about the coming summer or the first long weekend of the year.
It is quite sad.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Memorial day has ever been about the sadness of what soldiers have sacrificed, but some of that is weaved in with the representation of color guards during ceremonies. It's more of a "propaganda" day (and I use that term loosely) to recognize the honor and glorify it (again, using glorify loosely).

I say "loosely" for those terms as I don't want to take away from the actions of those who we honor. Those actions deserve being honored whether it was against Nazis or warlords or a fight to protect imperialism.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Memorial day has ever been about the sadness of what soldiers have sacrificed, but some of that is weaved in with the representation of color guards during ceremonies. It's more of a "propaganda" day (and I use that term loosely) to recognize the honor and glorify it (again, using glorify loosely).

I say "loosely" for those terms as I don't want to take away from the actions of those who we honor. Those actions deserve being honored whether it was against Nazis or warlords or a fight to protect imperialism.
I my early days, WWII was still fresh in everyone's minds. More than 100,000 military had not been accounted for and our government was determined to find every missing man or body. Memorial day wasn't a holiday officially until 1971. It had been celebrated since 1960 on the last day of May. I remember solemn presentations and laying of wreaths. I remember placing a flag on every veteran's grave.

We, the Boomers, remember. Our children haven't been involved in much and their children have ignoired it and now are being taught a totally different history. We have forgotten, 'Those that ignore history, are destined to repeat it.'

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I typically don't thank vets on this day because it's a day to remember those who lost their lives in service of the country. Veterans' day is for formally thanking vets. However I do recognize one thing specific for vets on this day, and that is many of you lost "brothers" in service to this country. For that I offer the sincerest condolences for what you endured at the time of the loss and now with annual remembrances. I'm sure you wonder at times "why them and not me?".
While I understand, I only partially agree.
In the last 20 years more of the Vets and Active Duty have been out there in the shit ready to give the ultimate sacrifice.
When one is ready to join the fallen, or has lost limbs but not joined the fallen, yesterday was an excellent opportunity to thank them.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to appreciate it every day.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As expressed by our own VP..."Enjoy the long weekend!"

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I served during the Jane Fonda era. It is with a very careful ear I listen to the praises.
I was there when returning vets were disrespected in ways I won't bring up.
Some men, wracked by the pain of war went back to Viet Nam to escape the pain of American Society.....

At a recent trip to VA Hospital, I was asked if I still had nightmares.....

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I understand, I only partially agree.
In the last 20 years more of the Vets and Active Duty have been out there in the shit ready to give the ultimate sacrifice.
When one is ready to join the fallen, or has lost limbs but not joined the fallen, yesterday was an excellent opportunity to thank them.
To your point, I wasn't saying veterans should only be thanked on Veterans day, I think they should be thanked often. I just think Memorial day is a special day with a special thank. Call it more of a literal interpretation than anything else.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To your point, I wasn't saying veterans should only be thanked on Veterans day, I think they should be thanked often. I just think Memorial day is a special day with a special thank. Call it more of a literal interpretation than anything else.
Again, copy that. I do not disagree. Let me rephrase...

I cannot thank those that died. I can only remember and remind others to remember and celebrate their sacrifice.
But I can thank those that did not die but could have died for their willingness to die as a way of remembering those that did.