• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to Tank?

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it and I don't.

I know it's still early, but we're looking at a pretty high draft pick. If we go for O'line this year, which I agree is much needed, next year we are drafting QB leftovers again because our record WILL BE better. At this point we need a top pick QB.

Then spend everything else on O line and offense in general.

I believe the Pats will have a ton of salary next season so perhaps O line can be addressed there.

I would use a high draft pick on a potential franchise altering QB before anything else. Almost everything else can be addressed at least reasonably well in FA.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac has been placed in a tough spot. Three OCs in three years a crappy online no legit number 1 WR. Should he be playing better? Maybe, while it's time to consider his future I don't feel he is the majority of the problem.
Yeah, tough spot.
1) Throw to the guy downfield who I have no chance over reaching.
2) Trow to the guy double covered.
3) Take a sack.
4) Throw it away.

Why is it never option 4?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got his draft pick QB when Mac Jones fell to him three years ago.

Shula 328
Halas 318
Belichick 299
Reid 251

At the rate that BB is going, Andy Reid will get to Shula before him. The reality o it is that BB needs 30 wins to get beyond Shula. 29 to tie.

He'll be lucky to get three more this year. In 2024 he might be able to get 8 or 9. In all honesty, it looks like it will take him at least five more years.
That's if everything falls completely into place. Bill has not been heading in the right direction and he's not going to change. Hopefully he takes Shula's spot, but not in New England.

Robert Kraft is in his 80's now. he's a slip and fall in the shower or on a piece of ice to handing the team to Johnathan. Johnathan has wanted a new coach for the past couple of years. It's not what you did. It's what you're doing and where you appear to be going.
I don't buy the "fell to him" anymore.
He doesn't have an NFL arm. Far to many times he has missed his open guy. When he puts everything he has into a throw to make it down field, he wildly over throws or throws a pick.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac's problem is that he doesn't have that "inner" determination... Mac collapses with everything.
This.
Part of it is that he doesn't have the physical tools to help himself. He can't take off and run. IMO, he has a questionable arm for power and accuracy.
And this.
When had three of the best college WRs and the best college OL, he was unbeatable because he didn't have to do anything but throw the ball up for grabs.
Aaand this...
Without the surrounding studs, he a muffin.
Boom.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, tough spot.
1) Throw to the guy downfield who I have no chance over reaching.
2) Trow to the guy double covered.
3) Take a sack.
4) Throw it away.

Why is it never option 4?
B/C he hasn't matured

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd year in?

His decision making was supposed to be his strong suit.
Exactly. Not sure what happened. He made much better decisions year 1.

As for tanking... I'm all in.

I don't put all the blame on BB though. I think most of us thought we had a pretty decent squad going into the season. D was top notch until Judon and Gonzo went down. They were getting better each week against tough competition.
The O line most of us said would be a problem. That's the major problem with this club. Enough about the Oline.
All the teams know Mac can't get the ball downfield. So they're stacking the box. No lanes to run and taking away the short crossing lanes. At the start of the season minus some awful turnovers the WRs and TEs were open over the middle. Now there is nowhere to go with the ball.

So is Mac the problem as well? I have to say he's certainly a big part of it.

Tank and find a QB, fix the Oline and pay for a proven WR that can take the top off. The D and STs will be fine.

Oh and hire a GM. I'm done with BBs bullshit.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd year in?

His decision making was supposed to be his strong suit.
I don't remember that being his strong suit. What does it really matter anyway, he was at the time best selection at position of need. What I stated was true three OCs in three years with no true #1 WR. He has been put in a bad situation. My concern is this, if he was the best option for QB1 then we are in more trouble than we think.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember that being his strong suit. What does it really matter anyway, he was at the time best selection at position of need. What I stated was true three OCs in three years with no true #1 WR. He has been put in a bad situation. My concern is this, if he was the best option for QB1 then we are in more trouble than we think.
He was being toted for his decision making, getting the ball out quickly and not taking unecessary chances.

But I agree with everything else you're saying.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot to mention the stellar line he's working behind... even when he does have time he's constantly chasing ghosts. A bad line has impacts that go way beyond rushing throws, throwing away passes and taking sacks (not to mention the turnovers more attributable to the line). It's even harder to make the right decisions when more concerns are layered in.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no time to tank.. They already are tanking! This time is a disgrace and it starts with the Top (Kraft and BB).

I said it in another thread, even IF the Patriots get the 1st pick I see Bill either trading it away or totally fing the pick up

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His strengths were supposed to be accuracy and decision making, his weakness was a weak arm.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s going to be a bumpy ride but we will survive eventually.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point we need to shake the tree. If BB is serious about “starting over” the time to do that is now. Make some radical changes to save his BB legacy. Bench Mac and Zappe and bring in the new guy. Nothing to lose.

I hope BB is not stupid enough to go down in flames because if his stubbornness.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe give Zappe a chance to start? They’ve put him in when game is completely out of control. Hard for him.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not start Malik Cunningham? He can improvise and create plays. Give himself that little bit more time to throw. Keep the defense on their toe’s because of his running ability. He can flat out run.

I don't "not like" the thought but it takes time to get the whole offense on that play including training the oline to be ready to block downfield while not going downfield. Nothing worse that a game changing improvised pass coming back because linemen thought the play shifted to a run.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't "not like" the thought but it takes time to get the whole offense on that play including training the oline to be ready to block downfield while not going downfield. Nothing worse that a game changing improvised pass coming back because linemen thought the play shifted to a run.

All I know is that his 1 quarter of preseason play has been the highlight of the entire season for the Patriots. Mac is done. Looks it physically and mentally. Zappe is a turd. Belichick wants to “start over”…. Give Malik a chance.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick wants to “start over”…. Give Malik a chance.
Belichick uses his words very carefully.

He didn't say "Start from scratch" , he said "Start over".

That generally means, "Let's do the same thing only do it better"

The roster is pretty much set. The Patriots as a team are what is there. The problem is that the level of quality is very low and all of the practice, repetitive play walk throughs and other fixes cannot make below average talent into superstars. One of the biggest or most lacking talents is speed. This team connot keep up with fast opponents. Trying to compete against the Cowboys, Eagles and Dolphins exhausts this team by halftime.

How do you fix that in 2024? You can't completely trash the team, but you can start moving in a different direction. Start by having a coaching staff that can recognize talent that has more than marginal speed. Start by having a scouting staff and listening to them. This team has lost no less than fifteen scouts over the past seven years. They quit when their contracts are up because they waste their efforts. The perfect example was Bill totally ignoring his main WR scout. The guy gave him all of the facts and begged Bill to take DK Metcalf. Bill said, "Too much muscle to be a WR in this league." The scout quit. N'Keal Harry is whatever Bill saw as the big, fast reliable WR.

As far as 2023 goes, what we see is what we'll get. This team has a lot of broken toys. Toys R Us is outta business.