• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to sign the Panda/ It's time for Barry to get his ring

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was Stokes that put up some stats that clearly showed that Panda has been declining over the past few years ... not horribly ... but still on a downslide. I think what most of us Giant fans see (at least I do) is a player that seems to rise to the occasion on the big stage. If you put him in the playoffs .... he shines ..... but it's the other 162 games that will cost us 6/120ish.

Let's put it another way ... hard to separate ... but interesting .... if we didn't make the playoff in this year ... and Panda never hit the big stage .... how willing would we be to go 6/120 ... not saying we wouldn't but think we would ponder a little harder about the choice ...

Well sure, I think all teams tend to stand pat after they win a ring for the most part. And it's why repeating is so hard.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A poster on the Warriors board suggested this:

4 years 70M with a team option for 2 additional years at 40M.

Also team option could turn into a player option, based on certain milestones reached by Pablo.

That would be my offer. Win-win for everyone.

Pretty clever...can you set up options like that, convertible from team to player based on a milestone?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A poster on the Warriors board suggested this:

4 years 70M with a team option for 2 additional years at 40M.

Also team option could turn into a player option, based on certain milestones reached by Pablo.

That would be my offer. Win-win for everyone.

Pretty clever...can you set up options like that, convertible from team to player based on a milestone?

David Wright also had an 8 year contract that was structured rather differently. Think it was 8 years for about 135M but the money fluctuated quite a bit during the contract. I think the 2014-2018 years were for
20M each. The other 4 years were quite a bit lower. Creative contracts could really help here

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that we should NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT sign Panda to a 6-year deal. But he is certainly worth more than his regular-season numbers would dictate.

OK so that's 6 NOT's. Each pair cancels out. So you're saying we should sign Panda to a 6 year deal?

:whistle:

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way :panda: should be signed for 6 years and a 9 figure contract. IMNSHO

Still, how much of said contract, if it materializes, is an acknowledgement of past performance, and how much is hoping for future performance?

I think the re-signing of Scoots for three years and $20 million was a huge mistake by at least a year. But there is some acknowledgement that he did help win the 2012 WS. Without Scoots, we would not have won.

I think the re-signing of Timmah for 2 years and $35 million was a huge mistake as well. I am happy about the two years part, but not the $35 million. We were bidding against no one for Timmah's services, and he was far inferior to the pitcher he had been. But there is an acknowledgement that he had performed wonderfully in years past.

It is hard not to be sentimental about baseball. (Just watched Moneyball last night, and that line kept coming up.) I don't want to just kick these guys to the curb when they are done, nor do I want to keep paying them gazillions of samoleans just as a thank you for past performances. Timmah and Scoots account for $25 million per year that we could spend on more productive players, but cannot, unless the PsTB increase the budget substantially.

I am torn. I really like Panda, frustrating as he is at the plate at times, but he is the sellable face of the franchise. I don't see MadBum underwear replacing Panda hats at the ballpark. Glad it is not my decision to make.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am torn. I really like Panda, frustrating as he is at the plate at times, but he is the sellable face of the franchise. I don't see MadBum underwear replacing Panda hats at the ballpark. Glad it is not my decision to make.

Just be thankful it's not Panda underwear.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Take off your blinders. We have been discussing this stuff on the this board (heck, IN THIS THREAD) for the past day. Please acknowledge you are not the only poster on this board.

Dude is oblivious. I have him on ignore mostly in the spirit of reciprocity.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is oblivious. I have him on ignore mostly in the spirit of reciprocity.

^^^\------ This. I put him on ignore about 5-6 months ago. Now whenever he posts I just see a little box that says "this person whose opinion you don't care about just posted something".

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^\------ This. I put him on ignore about 5-6 months ago. Now whenever he posts I just see a little box that says "this person whose opinion you don't care about just posted something".

Well aren't you a big winner!

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looks like the honeymoon's over guys. It's back to griping about BoB. To take a page out of his book, you guys should cheer up! :pound:

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard on KNBR that there is a report by Dennis O'Donnell from the local Channel 5 news that Sandoval is 90% gone to Boston. No word on the money or years but 90% is 90%.

I hope the story is wrong and I hope Sandoval realizes what he is getting himself into. The Giants want him and the fans do too. Yeah he might get some big money but he will never be loved more than here in SF. He is friends with Ortiz but if he does not perform there in Boston that town just might eat him alive. I hope the extra bucks is worth it. I hope he reconsiders and comes back.

Go Giants !!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard on KNBR that there is a report by Dennis O'Donnell from the local Channel 5 news that Sandoval is 90% gone to Boston. No word on the money or years but 90% is 90%.

I hope the story is wrong and I hope Sandoval realizes what he is getting himself into. The Giants want him and the fans do too. Yeah he might get some big money but he will never be loved more than here in SF. He is friends with Ortiz but if he does not perform there in Boston that town just might eat him alive. I hope the extra bucks is worth it. I hope he reconsiders and comes back.

Go Giants !!

If anyone else said that, I would say "I see what you did there". However, I am not sure that YOU intended the pun...

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone else said that, I would say "I see what you did there". However, I am not sure that YOU intended the pun...

I hear you but Boston can be a rough town especially if you are a mercenary making big bucks and you slump for a month.No pun...that place can eat you up especially if the Yanks are in first place tearing Boston a new ass.

I know Ortiz is in the Panda's ear but Ortiz can run for mayor there and win. Pablo is just another guy with a big contract that better not put on any weight and he better come in in tip top shape and deliver the goods. Pablo I heard is a dude that likes to be loved and he will not get any grace period in Boston. I hope he realizes the heat that will be breathing down his back. He has a chance to really put up a legacy here in SF and if he leaves he also won't be around from a big party on Opening Day when the rings are handed out and the WS Championship banner is raised. For me a couple extra million bucks can never replace the memories of being applauded on Opening day as a member of a Dynasty. Money is not my keeper. I would never give up that moment and I would never give up my feeling of being on a team that I know that I can have fun for sure for 162 game seasons. If you become a mercenary a 162 game season can be hell if you don't bring home the bacon. He really needs to think this thing through.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cheerleaders often have no brains. If they have bodacious tits, we excuse them. Otherwise, we pillory them.