• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TIME FOR MICHIGAN TO FACE FACTS

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know Miles said that. This seems like the perfect time to make a move for him. LSU is in no way a bad team but with the loss already this year and the big game yet to play I do not see them ending the season with 1 loss.
My real question is, does Michigan want him? He has had some integrity questions. However Meyer did also and has done well IMO at tOSU since being away from the SEC and maybe Miles would do the same.
Miles would have walked over broken glass for the Michigan job. But he wasn't offered the job then due to perceived integrity problems and to this day would not be offered by the current AD.

I think that so much self righteous tripe by the AD. But who knows.. Sometimes it's tough to judge a decision like that clearly for years...decades even.

Right now though, the decision not to hire Les is looking not-so-good to say the least.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it did not work out for RR, I still believe he is a fantastic coach. He was never really embraced by the UM community because he was perceived as an outsider. Granted, he brought some baggage with him and he didn't help his own cause.

He also did not develop a defense. How soon we forget.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please just stop the nonsense of getting one of the Harbaughs or Les, that ain't gonna happen. What about David Shaw?

The thing is, us suggesting what they should get, and who they go after are often VERY separate things. I remember many Michigan fans being shocked when they hired Rich Rod. Then 3 1/2 years later I remember hearing many Michigan fans asking "Brady who?" when the hired Hoke. The bottom line is that as soon as football is done for the season (NFL and college), Michigan should have several phone calls to the Harbaugh brothers and Les Miles (or whomever they need to call to have permission to talk to them). If they make those phone calls, and make legitimate sales pitches to them (Harbaughs will probably be in the $7 mil range), I'll be pretty happy with Michigan, even if they don't get a coach I think is very good. They need to make a top 10 coaches list with the VERY best available guys and move down the list. They shouldn't give a crap about the "Michigan Man" meme. You can start out with the guys that have a Michigan connection, as long as they are in the top 10 coaches reasonably available (I say that because they don't need to waste their time with coaches like Saban, Carroll, or Belichick)

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also did not develop a defense. How soon we forget.

His defense was ranked in the bottom 30 for most of his tenure at Michigan IIRC. RR was a GREAT offensive mind, but those type of guys rarely do well in bigger conferences. Balance wins championships, and I think it is safe to say that most of the past 5-6 BCS championship teams had a defense ranked in the top 25.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan's remaining schedule........ sitting at 2-3, they go what?

Sat, Oct 4@Rutgers7:00 PM
Sat, Oct 11vsPenn State7:00 PM
Sat, Oct 25@#10 Michigan State
Sat, Nov 1vsIndiana3:30 PM
Sat, Nov.@Northwestern
Sat, Nov 22vsMaryland
Sat, Nov 29@#20 Ohio State

I'm having a tough time deciding between 4-8 or 5-7........

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure as to why Bama DC Kirby Smart (LB's coach) isn't being mentioned as a possible candidate. He's been mentored by 1 of the best College HC's ever, is a great recruiter, has game planning experience against the best Conference in the land. It isn't Nicky Satan running that team's defense on Saturday's. Smart is in the most recognized program right now so that should help him be aware of what is expected from a program such as U of M. Smart is mostly responsible for the front 7 recruits at Bama too. It would probably depend on what system/scheme he plans on running offensively/defensively, and who the OC and DC would be.

BTW, this Must Be a Michigan Man (primary/secondary tree) crap has got to stop, JMO.

I'll agree with Belcher in that they need a list of the very best available that will fit Michigan's criteria and go from there.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give hoke 4 more years to develope his talent....now if they get a new coach, we have to listen to UM fans have excuses for losing for the next 4 yrs so the new coach can get HIS recruits.....not much job security at UM anymore......cant see why the harbaughs or miles would leave to go to that mess......mike hart?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOSS at Rutgers (we're still reeling from last week)
LOSS vs Penn ST (better coached team PSU)
LOSS at MSU (nuff said without sayin' anything)
WIN? vs IND (nailbiter win, maybe in a shootout)
WIN? at N'west (same as above)
LOSS vs TERPS (DB's get burned by the TERP's skill player's)
LOSS at OHIO (it's an every year occurrence lately)

yep, pretty much 4-8

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleaves, UM has the talent, minus the DB's (except Pepper's).. Time for all the Homer's to stop making excuses. Get the right HC and OC/DC along with an O-Line/DB coach there's no excuse to be right back at the top in 2016. JMO

Talent isn't the issue at UM. Coaching is.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleaves, UM has the talent, minus the DB's (except Pepper's).. Time for all the Homer's to stop making excuses. Get the right HC and OC/DC along with an O-Line/DB coach there's no excuse to be right back at the top in 2016. JMO

I agree....they recruit well....im sick of hearing about only having sophmores and freshman....whos fault is that? OSU lost their heisman caliber QB and is still good....

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAMA does well with sophomores and freshman, matter of fact lots of schools do.... hhhmmmmmm.... you might be onto something... I'll get back to you on this

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8177002644_85a640732a_o1.gif

Great post man!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, us suggesting what they should get, and who they go after are often VERY separate things. I remember many Michigan fans being shocked when they hired Rich Rod. Then 3 1/2 years later I remember hearing many Michigan fans asking "Brady who?" when the hired Hoke. The bottom line is that as soon as football is done for the season (NFL and college), Michigan should have several phone calls to the Harbaugh brothers and Les Miles (or whomever they need to call to have permission to talk to them). If they make those phone calls, and make legitimate sales pitches to them (Harbaughs will probably be in the $7 mil range), I'll be pretty happy with Michigan, even if they don't get a coach I think is very good. They need to make a top 10 coaches list with the VERY best available guys and move down the list. They shouldn't give a crap about the "Michigan Man" meme. You can start out with the guys that have a Michigan connection, as long as they are in the top 10 coaches reasonably available (I say that because they don't need to waste their time with coaches like Saban, Carroll, or Belichick)

I just don't buy that either Harbaugh or Miles will end up at Michigan. Michigan is a good job but they are all in better situations IMO. I DO agree 100% that they need to get a proven top tier coach from SOMEWHERE though, one that wont take any crap from the good ol boy network that's at Michigan. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians as the saying goes. Saban made things crystal clear when he arrived at Alabama that it was his way and if you didn't like it then screw you. Things have been going great for the Tide ever since.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAMA does well with sophomores and freshman, matter of fact lots of schools do.... hhhmmmmmm.... you might be onto something... I'll get back to you on this

Just so we're clear here, when the roster is mostly sophomores and freshman, no school, including Alabama does well.

Sure, you might have one or two in the starting 22, but they are the exception, not the rule. Look at any championship roster and you'll see it full of upperclassmen. Even if they aren't the stars (look a the O-line for example, the starters are mostly juniors and seniors).

Now that I've gotten that out of my system. Yes, in the make or break year, Hoke as fallen flat on his face. It's not so much the record in of itself, but until the Utah and Minnesota games the only loses by a large margin were to top ranked teams, Alabama in 2012 and MSU 2012, and the Nebraska game when Denard was injured. All previous loses were understandable, given condition Rich Rod left the program (and don't give me this he was "trending up" argument, there is more than the number in the wins column). But in the year, where if he really was laying the foundation (which there were plenty of sign he was) we should have started to see the fruits of those labors. So with the information we now have, it's clear the Hoke is a good man, and a good coach, just not an elite coach. So it is time to start looking elsewhere.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Michigan Wolverines QB Haiku:

My head is groggy.
I cannot find my helmet.
Transferring to State.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. In the business I was in for a long time, we often looked at population shift studies, and how the pop is moving South and West.

However, young people are fickle, and the right person in a couple places, and it could be the current 'cool' thing again to go play at places like Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. Notre Dame is getting a little of that recently, so it is possible.

Ummm ... ND has never had a problem attracting top recruits across the nation, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

Y

Yapp14

Ummm ... ND has never had a problem attracting top recruits across the nation, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.
Ummm you seem to forget the Bob Davie years. Things have not always been golden

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm you seem to forget the Bob Davie years. Things have not always been golden

I guess he means that poor coaching was responsible for the shit show that Notre Dame was under Davie and Willingham. They're combined 56-40, makes the 27-16 record Hoke has put together not look so bad...and only slightly better than his combined record of 42-38 with Rich Rod.