• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tiger Woods to return next week for Quicken Loans National at Congressional

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,293.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really loved to not see Tiger at all this weekend. as for when will he be irrelevant I think he will always be relievent becuase he is woods after all. but im sure less and less people will be tuning in if he keeps missing the cut. personally I dont think he will catch jack for all time majors

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question. At what point does Tiger Woods become irrelevant?

As a contender to win majors...he's pretty close now.

As a golf topic...never....any grand slam winner will never be irrelevant in golf.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a golf topic...never....any grand slam winner will never be irrelevant in golf.

Not so sure about that. Looking at his two rounds - health was never really a concern & off the tee he was not that bad. His problems actually were the result of rust & not playing. Also - the course was very difficult the entire time. I believe that they stated that the overall scores were higher than for any non-major tourney this year.

Not guaranteeing that he will contend this year or beyond - just not ready to write him off just yet. As for relevancy overall that will never end especially since a lot of the same people who always complain about him are the same ones always bringing up his name (even before others do).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the actual tourney - how about Stefani? Makes a pretty similar mistake that Rose made previously & basically gives away the win. I wonder about his thought process.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the actual tourney - how about Stefani? Makes a pretty similar mistake that Rose made previously & basically gives away the win. I wonder about his thought process.

I'm not sure he would have had any idea that Rose made that same mistake.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think his game is as far from a Major since 2008. Tiger had issues before his back problems and I don't see how they got better after surgery. His next stop is the British Open. I give him 30% chance to make the cut.

Cold and windy conditions is not exactly what you want after back surgery.

I don't understand why he came back at all this year. All he cares about is majors anyway and only the open is left. Hands down the hardest one to win.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his game is as far from a Major since 2008. Tiger had issues before his back problems and I don't see how they got better after surgery. His next stop is the British Open. I give him 30% chance to make the cut.

I don't understand why he came back at all this year. All he cares about is majors anyway and only the open is left. Hands down the hardest one to win.

If he does poorly at The Open, I'll bet coins to cornbread, he shuts it down for the rest of the year.:whistle:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure about that. Looking at his two rounds - health was never really a concern & off the tee he was not that bad. His problems actually were the result of rust & not playing. Also - the course was very difficult the entire time. I believe that they stated that the overall scores were higher than for any non-major tourney this year.

Not guaranteeing that he will contend this year or beyond - just not ready to write him off just yet. As for relevancy overall that will never end especially since a lot of the same people who always complain about him are the same ones always bringing up his name (even before others do).

"Pretty close" as in years not events...lol

He's 38 or so right now...conditioning wise, he looks to be in excellent shape and I would expect that to continue...the physical toll...TW is more like 43 or 44 with the amount of injuries he's had....I think his window to be a regular contender in majors is a about 5 more years barring any other significant injuries.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well agreed n 2008...but, I'm thinking his game from last year is good enough to win a major...I keep harking back on the Masters and hitting that flag stick...that was pretty good golf...if he can get back to that level, I see a chance for him to contend in majors for a handful (4 to 6) more years before he falls off the cliff.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think his foundation was in part why he came back this week...he wanted to show his face...obviously his short game was not good enough on a layout set up this tough. I wouldn't beat myself up over those results either.

I do question not playing again before the British if he expects to have a game ready to win.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's 38 or so right now...conditioning wise, he looks to be in excellent shape and I would expect that to continue...the physical toll...TW is more like 43 or 44 with the amount of injuries he's had....I think his window to be a regular contender in majors is a about 5 more years barring any other significant injuries.

Tigers only chance to catch Jack is with the Masters. He needs to win that at least 2 or 3 more times to have a shot. And I will say that Tiger could be a threat to win the Masters till the age of almost 50.

Regardless of how bad he is playing ...Tiger can contend in the Masters.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers only chance to catch Jack is with the Masters. He needs to win that at least 2 or 3 more times to have a shot. And I will say that Tiger could be a threat to win the Masters till the age of almost 50.

Regardless of how bad he is playing ...Tiger can contend in the Masters.

Agreed.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure he would have had any idea that Rose made that same mistake.

With all of the time that he took before actually hitting the shot you would think that someone in his group would have mentioned that mistake - especially since it only occurred a short time earlier. It just seems like a poor decision on his part.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well - I will just wait to see what happens. If he is not even on the first few pages of either major (or shuts it down prior) then I will have a tendency to agree with most/all things stated here. I do want to see him do well. However - I agree with others here that I don't want to watch him playing when he is near the bottom of the leaderboard. They need to focus on the players in contention.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - prior to the shots on 18 (in the water) by both Rose & Stefani all of the announcers mentioned about half a dozen times that they need to steer clear of the left side or else risk a high score. How did their caddies & others not realize this? Rose lucked out with a killer putt - Stefani was not so fortunate.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well - I will just wait to see what happens. If he is not even on the first few pages of either major (or shuts it down prior) then I will have a tendency to agree with most/all things stated here. I do want to see him do well. However - I agree with others here that I don't want to watch him playing when he is near the bottom of the leaderboard. They need to focus on the players in contention.

There you go...just let it play out and see what happens...FWIW...at his age I don't think he would come back too early from a physical stand point...looking at some of the positions he had to make swing from...his back seems to be fine...obviously his total game was not ready for a tournament, but he made Quicken happy as the the new sponsor.

As a golfer/golf fan you always want to see the guys in contention...when Tiger is in the field...the network realizes a lot more eyes are there because of Tiger, but they don't have to show him live all the time...seems like they can fit in his highlights coming back from commercial, etc. and still retain the fringe viewer.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sunday action...agreed...they've played the course a half a dz times by Sunday...they knew going left on 18 is most likely a dbl...Rose made two great shots...the putt being the huge one in regulation to even stay @ -4.

The part about the PGAT that makes it a little more encouraging to go for it and idk if I really like it, but it is what it is...the 2nd place guy was going to cash a check for $702k...Rose has no exemption issues, so for him it was the trophy and the $300k or so difference in the check.

I would like to see the winner's share increased and the loser positions lessened...$702k for the loser just seems like a lot of money...pretty much locks up his card for next year.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sunday action...agreed...they've played the course a half a dz times by Sunday...they knew going left on 18 is most likely a dbl...Rose made two great shots...the putt being the huge one in regulation to even stay @ -4.

The part about the PGAT that makes it a little more encouraging to go for it and idk if I really like it, but it is what it is...the 2nd place guy was going to cash a check for $702k...Rose has no exemption issues, so for him it was the trophy and the $300k or so difference in the check.

I would like to see the winner's share increased and the loser positions lessened...$702k for the loser just seems like a lot of money...pretty much locks up his card for next year.

Wow - $700k for 2nd place. Whether they agree with his lifestyle, personality, etc these guys should thank Tiger on a regular basis for a lot of this.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow - $700k for 2nd place. Whether they agree with his lifestyle, personality, etc these guys should thank Tiger on a regular basis for a lot of this.

Well...it's all about the off the course money these days when you win on tour, but take guys like Stricker ($40 mil), Els ($46 mil) Furyk ($59 mil), DL3 ($40 mil) Toms ($40 mil, A Scott, ($40 mil), Sergio ($35mil) Justin Leonard ($33 mil).

Ernie, Davis, and Jim, have a significant number of PGAT wins, and would've been stars anyway, but those guys have really reaped the benefits of having played most of their career in the TW era.

If we took a snapshot of the career top 10 moneylist guys in Norman's era, the amount pales in comparison to what these guys are making...just on golf, and nearly all of them (with the exception of VJ) make twice that in endorsements now...yep, thanks Norman, and a big thanks to Tiger!