• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This is crap...Go Texas Go Big 12

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the BCS it was somewhat rare to even have #1 face #2 at the end of the year. It had to just happen to work out correctly because of bowl tie ins. Like the Pac and Big10 have the Rose Bowl. If the #1 team happened to be from the Pac, and the other from the Big10, you got a #1 and #2 matchup. If #1 team was from USC, and the #2 team was from the SEC, then #1 and #2 didn't play. You would have #1 vs #8, and stuff like that.

The BCS changed that and made it so #1 would be able to play #2. So it was the first time we even had a real national championship game every year. Which actually made the national champion less dependent on the media.

The BCS was an awesome change for college football that took 40 years too long to get here.

You do realize what it was before the BCS right?

ESPN is biased towards and talks about winners. Whoever it is for that season, gets all the media attention. USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, Florida St - seen them all get hyped the same way. And it's the same exact thing with other sports. Look at all the hype New England gets in the NFL. Is that also because of ESPN? Or is it just evidence of what ESPN does? How often did you hear about Tiger Woods not too long ago vs any other golfer? Was ESPN also helping Tiger Woods?

But fine, go ahead and keep believing that a nationwide sports channel profits best by helping a regional group of schools who aren't even in the biggest markets.

Why do you feel the need to give us a history lesson?

You have a point… although the SEC on ESPN is promoted throughout each telecast of SEC teams, the nationwide sports channel has no interest in promoting the conference.

Which BCS game had the lowest TV ratings? And, you come on here and try and educate us that the common fan had nothing to do with the change to the playoff format… too funny!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 years prior to BCS how many titles did SEC win? 3 How many did they even play for or even considered for in that same span? Then what happened oh they are just the greatest thing ever now...yeah right.

I guess you lucky your grandad picked a team in SEC

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20 years prior to BCS how many titles did SEC win? 3 How many did they even play for or even considered for in that same span? Then what happened oh they are just the greatest thing ever now...yeah right.

I guess you lucky your grandad picked a team in SEC

They didn't have national championship games before the BCS.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you feel the need to give us a history lesson?

You have a point… although the SEC on ESPN is promoted throughout each telecast of SEC teams, the nationwide sports channel has no interest in promoting the conference.

Which BCS game had the lowest TV ratings? And, you come on here and try and educate us that the common fan had nothing to do with the change to the playoff format… too funny!

Do you not realize that the conferences themselves are the ones who vote for the different deals and are the ones who voted in favor of the playoffs?

If it makes you feel better to think lower ratings caused things to be changed, by all means go ahead. But most people who are educated on the topic know it was changed because other conferences didn't like being left out.

You guys are funny.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, you were just curious and your question had no undertones at all.
Absolutely. I've been around different types of 'Bama fans, as well as, SEC fans. Some are rabid fans who become totally different during a game, but could hold a intelligent football conversation without the SEC bias of the SEC is tough from top to bottom. The only problem with this was/is if a team would beat a bottom feeder of the SEC, then it wasn't a major accomplishment since they were bottom feeders. But let the same team loose to the bottom feeder, then it proved that the SEC was superior to that conference and how it proves that the SEC is tough from top to bottom, along with, from week to week, you just beat up on each other and that is why you have to schedule those weak OOC games.

I have a grandson who is 1 and another on the way. I'm sure they will be Alabama fans.
Congrats on keeping up your family tradition.

Your moral victory is that Rich Rod almost came to Alabama? Oh geez. It's not good that a coach looks to leave and take better jobs. You want to keep such coaches if they are actually good. And really, while the offer was made, I doubt you'll find an Alabama fan who isn't thrilled he didn't come to Alabama.
Not a moral victory, just a fact. Your other common theme to West Virginia is your current HC. If in the mind of a HC is that he is bigger than the program, then sometimes it is better to part ways.

I didn't say all WVU fans are butthurt, I said you were butthurt.

Well.....you did mention more than me being butthurt. If you want to believe that then go ahead. I have nothing to be butthurt about. You came to this board and started your underhanded bullshit. When called out on it, you were ready to quit posting on here because your panties were in bunch.

As for conference homerism. At the end of the day, I actually do not give a crap about the "SEC". In general I actually dislike conferences and wouldn't mind seeing them disappear. The only team I care about in the SEC is Alabama.

And what is good for Alabama is good opponent strength. And that is what Alabama gets from the SEC. So with the exception of Auburn, I do pull for SEC teams in games more often than not, for the sole purpose of how it affects the Alabama SoS. It's the teams that make up the schedule strength. If Alabama could get similar schedule strength without the SEC, I'd be in favor of it.

I'll admit that you haven't really promoted the brand, but it is interesting that you would want 'Bama to go the route of Notre Dame when the new criteria is leaning towards a P5 mentality.

Other than that, I actually defend pretty much all teams that get mud thrown on them undeserving. SEC gets a lot of hate. And it's not like other conferences don't have quality teams, it's just not as many.

Why would you care? If you have no allegiance to your conference, why would you care what is said about the SEC or other members? You just said you only care about 'Bama, so why defend others? Just like our earlier conversation about OKSt being left out of the mix. I have no allegiance to them, but felt that they go jobbed. But yet you come on and said that I, nor anybody else, should have an opinion about it. You were dead wrong. Even if it was a team that I didn't care about, I would have said the same thing.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with others being beneath a school. It seems you are desperate. One of my first posts was actually about SoS and Alabama's SoS last year, in which I had them ranked low SoS on my computer rankings stating that Alabama's schedule was weak. At the end of last year in the SportsHoopla poll, I had Alabama ranked lower than all but 1 person. I had Alabama ranked #12, they had them #13. Hardly biased.

I post at SECRant more often these days for college football just to be able to give other SEC fans shit and to have that back. All people from the other conferences want to do is bitch about the SEC and it's old.

Not desperate at all. What desperation would I have? So you rank all the teams SoS. Interesting. Should we be going by your ranking or by the rankings that are already established? This does not support whether you are biased towards your team or not. It just means you agree with the strength of schedule. I already mentioned that you should get a better understanding of what being biased is.

You post on your little SEC board about other conferences bitching about the SEC, but you come on here and use backhanded compliments and then attempt to "educate us" about items. When you first started posting on here, I thought that you were a level headed 'Bama fan. As time went on and you didn't like what WVU posters expressed about their feelings about the SEC on their own board, your true SEC colors came out. You can post your "I'm not a fan of the SEC, just 'Bama" crap someplace else, because you already exposed yourself. Be a man and own it or cry and threaten to leave this site again like you did last time. Maybe if you own it, more people will kind of respect you. I don't see this happening for you. Too SEC blinded.

But grats for admitting you are team Big12. Most people can't.

I support the league that my team represents. I own it, you don't. If you go back and read your post, you said that you support the teams that 'Bama beats to strengthen their position. At the end of the day, if WVU can't be in the big dance, then I will cheer for a Big 12 team. After all, isn't this what the talking heads gravitate to? This is what you said, isn't it?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you not realize that the conferences themselves are the ones who vote for the different deals and are the ones who voted in favor of the playoffs?

If it makes you feel better to think lower ratings caused things to be changed, by all means go ahead. But most people who are educated on the topic know it was changed because other conferences didn't like being left out.

You guys are funny.

Again… why do you feel the need to educate anyone here about college football? You are too funny!

If it makes you feel better to attempt to discredit me or any other poster here… go for it. It only makes you look more foolish in doing so.

Just for your perusal…

BCS officials to revisit college football playoff ideas this week | www.statesman.com

With declining bowl attendance and television ratings, a media and fan base clamoring for change, and rapidly shifting conference alignments almost by the hour, college football appears to be heading toward a pivotal decision with two seasons left before the existing television contracts expire.

Second, the prospects of a playoff have gathered steam because of "changing faces in the room and public clamor," Hancock said.

The outcry from fans has reached a fever pitch in light of sagging bowl television ratings, which have declined 37 percent since 1998, the first year of the BCS. The lopsided national championship game last month drew a 14.0 rating — the third-worst in the BCS era — and West Virginia's 70-33 rout of Clemson in the Orange Bowl was the least-watched BCS game ever.

"We can't afford to be tone-deaf," Benson said. "We need to listen to the fans, and there's a strong undercurrent."

Hancock also cautions that much of the dialogue that has surfaced since a meeting in New Orleans the day after Alabama beat LSU in the most recent BCS title game has come from commissioners.

"People have to be careful because the presidents haven't been heard from," Hancock said. "The presidents are more conservative than the commissioners are. This is a long way from being a done deal. There's nothing even close to a consensus."

Do you want to stand by your stupid comments? Yeah… now you're educated:lol:

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another Village Idiot. Can somebody from the 'Bama boards come and get Otis? He wonder over here and needs to go back home and sleep it off. Please come and get him.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, does this mean we can put an end to the complaints about how "Texas won't play us because we left the Big XII!"

Not sure Rob. Maybe somebody like DrPhil, who appears to live down in that area may be able to comment more on this. I've always heard that A&M would not play Texas due to the fact that "from top to bottom, the SEC is strong and playing Texas would not benefit A&M especially if A&M would lose". Could have come from Texas fans. Not sure.:lol:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Village Idiot. Can somebody from the 'Bama boards come and get Otis? He wonder over here and needs to go back home and sleep it off. Please come and get him.

I am thankful he comes to our board to educate our inbred asses. My god… I have met some arrogant assholes on the internet… but this one has gone to the top of the list.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thankful he comes to our board to educate our inbred asses. My god… I have met some arrogant assholes on the internet… but this one has gone to the top of the list.

Reminds me of that other guy, "Johnnie something or other", who started with some decent dialogue, then BAM,SEC blindness kicked in and he was spouting off at the mouth showing his true colors. If he could have kept his "you're beneath me" attitude in check. Oh well. I guess we will just have to get more educated.

When I lived in Tennessee, I conceded that the SEC has a good brand and the fans definitely supported it. My company has some of their plants in SEC country (Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Louisiana) so there was no shortage of SEC exposure. The ones who were rabid fans for their teams were just that. The ones who were blinded attempted to give you an education and would also defend the brand by saying the conference was tough from top to bottom. When all else failed, they would go to the number of NC your team won along with the last several years of SEC dominance in the NC.

What I need educated in is my auto-correct and spell check. "wonder" = wander.

And by the way, BB, you stupid.:lol:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lived in Augusta, GA for a couple of years… so, I heard a lot of team SEC talk down there.

I am a college football fan. I love the game, and I respect the way it is played everywhere.

CBS had a ton of Team SEC knuckleheads. Listening to some college talk radio shows, I get a kick out of SEC fans claiming 'we won the NC'. There ain't no we… it is UT, UF, LSU, Bama and AU fans who claim we… but, not UGA, not USCe, not Ole Miss…

I am a fan of the Big 12 now. But, you won't hear me cry 'we won'…. that doesn't mean I won't hope to see Big 12 teams win for the reasons already mentioned here.

I am stupid… and a moron. I am one big… fat… stupid… moron…

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lived in Augusta, GA for a couple of years… so, I heard a lot of team SEC talk down there.

I am a college football fan. I love the game, and I respect the way it is played everywhere.

CBS had a ton of Team SEC knuckleheads. Listening to some college talk radio shows, I get a kick out of SEC fans claiming 'we won the NC'. There ain't no we… it is UT, UF, LSU, Bama and AU fans who claim we… but, not UGA, not USCe, not Ole Miss…

I am a fan of the Big 12 now. But, you won't hear me cry 'we won'…. that doesn't mean I won't hope to see Big 12 teams win for the reasons already mentioned here.

I am stupid… and a moron. I am one big… fat… stupid… moron…

What a small world. One of our plants is in Augusta. Were you at Ft. Gordon?

You're right and that is probably why I kind of cheered for UGA, except in the Sugar Bowl. My wife had a cousin, who has since past away, from Augusta who was a Dawgs fan. When she would come up here to visit, she was a Steelers fan and would cheer for the colleges that my 2 oldest sons attended, Pitt and Clarion. She made sure she would cheer extra hard for Pitt when we played them just for fun. She was a great lady.

I'll have to throw in there Vandy when it comes to not hearing the we won the NC. Our other plant is in Saint Gabriel, LA, not far from Baton Rouge. You want to talk about arrogant. Wow. I still feel that this arrogance comes from the success of the conference and the fans buying into the brand. One SEC team wins, they all won.

I, too, am a big, fat, stupid, butthurt, homer, moron. Go Team Quartet.
Quartet, Quartet, Quartet.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I was assigned to Ft. Gordon for two years… '96-'98. Got to watch Tiger win his first green jacket…

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again… why do you feel the need to educate anyone here about college football? You are too funny!

If it makes you feel better to attempt to discredit me or any other poster here… go for it. It only makes you look more foolish in doing so.

Just for your perusal…

BCS officials to revisit college football playoff ideas this week | www.statesman.com

You just proved what I said in the part you underlined and bolded in what you quoted. The conferences themselves are the ones that pushed for the change, just as I said. The same conferences that prior to that game VOTED AGAINST THE SYSTEM. The SEC had been voting in favor of playoffs for 10 years minimum. The Big12, Big10 and Pac12 all voted against it until they all got left out.

Other than that, I will just assume you don't understand PR. Did you expect them to come out and say directly - well we don't like it that one conference got 2 teams in?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just proved what I said in the part you underlined and bolded in what you quoted. The conferences themselves are the ones that pushed for the change, just as I said. The same conferences that prior to that game VOTED AGAINST THE SYSTEM. The SEC had been voting in favor of playoffs for 10 years minimum. The Big12, Big10 and Pac12 all voted against it until they all got left out.

Other than that, I will just assume you don't understand PR. Did you expect them to come out and say directly - well we don't like it that one conference got 2 teams in?

I know the system. I have always known the system. That is why I have enjoyed your act of arrogance as much as I have.

I have enjoyed toying with you… you are too easy…

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. I've been around different types of 'Bama fans, as well as, SEC fans. Some are rabid fans who become totally different during a game, but could hold a intelligent football conversation without the SEC bias of the SEC is tough from top to bottom. The only problem with this was/is if a team would beat a bottom feeder of the SEC, then it wasn't a major accomplishment since they were bottom feeders. But let the same team loose to the bottom feeder, then it proved that the SEC was superior to that conference and how it proves that the SEC is tough from top to bottom, along with, from week to week, you just beat up on each other and that is why you have to schedule those weak OOC games.

As for "weak" OOC games. The majority of the top SEC teams schedule 1 good OOC game per year - the same as 99% of college football. They also schedule 1 FCS school, the same as 99% of college football. The only difference is SEC fans don't call the other teams out for it, while fans of other teams like to pretend they themselves don't do it. Or even worse, some of them try to hold the SEC to a higher standard because "they should lead the way" or something dumb like that.

How many good OOC games did WVU schedule this year? 1. Alabama. You also turned around and played a FCS school the week after. And yet for some reason, you feel you have ground to stand on to call out other teams/conferences for doing the exact same thing?

It's really pathetic.

The SEC is considered best top to bottom because of wins. And the whole thing you cite about bottom feeders and such are arguments people from all teams and conferences make, right or wrong. Arkansas for example is a much better team then their record suggests. Missouri on the other hand - probably not.

Not a moral victory, just a fact. Your other common theme to West Virginia is your current HC. If in the mind of a HC is that he is bigger than the program, then sometimes it is better to part ways.

What the hell are you talking about?

Well.....you did mention more than me being butthurt. If you want to believe that then go ahead. I have nothing to be butthurt about. You came to this board and started your underhanded bullshit. When called out on it, you were ready to quit posting on here because your panties were in bunch.

I came to this forum actually to talk about WVU football. Excuse me for not joining in on the stupid SEC hate as part of that.

I'll admit that you haven't really promoted the brand, but it is interesting that you would want 'Bama to go the route of Notre Dame when the new criteria is leaning towards a P5 mentality.

Because the P5 mentality and all those "conference champion" type labels are dumb. Conference should not be a part of any process, but the teams that are played should be. And if Alabama could get the same quality schedule while playing teams across the country I think that would be pretty cool.

Why would you care? If you have no allegiance to your conference, why would you care what is said about the SEC or other members? You just said you only care about 'Bama, so why defend others? Just like our earlier conversation about OKSt being left out of the mix. I have no allegiance to them, but felt that they go jobbed. But yet you come on and said that I, nor anybody else, should have an opinion about it. You were dead wrong. Even if it was a team that I didn't care about, I would have said the same thing.

I stick up for teams/conferences regardless if I think something is right, not just the SEC. If someone came along and tried to claim that the Big12 was worse than the Big10 and the only reason people thought the Big12 was better was because of media bias and stuff like that, I'd stick up for the Big12 because it's BS.

Not desperate at all. What desperation would I have? So you rank all the teams SoS. Interesting. Should we be going by your ranking or by the rankings that are already established? This does not support whether you are biased towards your team or not. It just means you agree with the strength of schedule. I already mentioned that you should get a better understanding of what being biased is.

I quit doing rankings this year because the data is no longer free. I have biases, but I'm not blinded by them.

You post on your little SEC board about other conferences bitching about the SEC, but you come on here and use backhanded compliments and then attempt to "educate us" about items. When you first started posting on here, I thought that you were a level headed 'Bama fan. As time went on and you didn't like what WVU posters expressed about their feelings about the SEC on their own board, your true SEC colors came out. You can post your "I'm not a fan of the SEC, just 'Bama" crap someplace else, because you already exposed yourself. Be a man and own it or cry and threaten to leave this site again like you did last time. Maybe if you own it, more people will kind of respect you. I don't see this happening for you. Too SEC blinded.

:L My team is an SEC school. When you say things about the SEC, you are saying it about my team as well.

If I say: The Big12 is over-rated and are only where they are because of media bias - would you take exception to such a statement? Of course, because such a generalization and broad brush hits every team in it.

I support the league that my team represents. I own it, you don't. If you go back and read your post, you said that you support the teams that 'Bama beats to strengthen their position. At the end of the day, if WVU can't be in the big dance, then I will cheer for a Big 12 team. After all, isn't this what the talking heads gravitate to? This is what you said, isn't it?

Yeah, except I actually pull against the other SEC teams once the year is over for Alabama. I sure as hell did not cheer for Auburn. I did not want to see them win. I also did not pull for Florida or LSU in those national championship games. Making Tebow cry was the most awesome thing ever. You still have to recruit and dumpster fires at a rivals school almost always turns out as a success for another. You kind of have to field a pretty good team to start with. Plus, I just like watching many of them lose.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4down,

Ain't nobody using any system with you. From the start, I have stayed on task. For whatever strange reason, you made the argument that the fans had no part in the changes that occurred following the controversy surrounding the bogus BCSNCG in which Bama was given a rematch.

I provided an article with direct quotes from all of the main players involved in this change. They each cited the reasons for the change.

You think it is mere coincidence that commissioners and BCS executives made a change in less than 1 year from them declaring the BCS to be on solid footing and no such playoff picture was on the horizon?

Like I said… it has been fun messing with you. You really need to give this up… everybody who follows college football knows why we have a playoff system today.

I can provide more links for you… if you need them to fully understand the big picture.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4down,

Ain't nobody using any system with you. From the start, I have stayed on task. For whatever strange reason, you made the argument that the fans had no part in the changes that occurred following the controversy surrounding the bogus BCSNCG in which Bama was given a rematch.

I provided an article with direct quotes from all of the main players involved in this change. They each cited the reasons for the change.

You think it is mere coincidence that commissioners and BCS executives made a change in less than 1 year from them declaring the BCS to be on solid footing and no such playoff picture was on the horizon?

Like I said… it has been fun messing with you. You really need to give this up… everybody who follows college football knows why we have a playoff system today.

I can provide more links for you… if you need them to fully understand the big picture.

Fans have been wanting a playoff LONG before the Alabama vs LSU NCG. It's not as if people just suddenly up and said they want more than 2 teams. If the playoffs had been unpopular before 2011 and then suddenly people wanted it after 2011, then I could see that as a legitimate reason. But basically everyone BUT the few conferences that cornholed it all "to protect the rose bowl" and the Big12 who had not gotten left out before was in favor of it. People openly spoke about wanting to destroy the BCS. There were segments on shows and such about it. I can remember Brian Jones openly saying he was just putting Boise St ranked up high to try and destroy the BCS.

I saw no real difference in fans before and after that game. There weren't masses of fans that just up and suddenly changed their minds. It was like that before. Lower ratings was a given anyway because it was such a regional game.

The only thing that really changed in that game was the conversation changed from "Should Boise St" to "Should conferences get more than 1".

But conferences getting left out and not liking it - that got those people to change their votes. They are the ones with power. And of course they are going to publicly cite things like "fans" because it's good PR. Do you honestly think a conference is going to come out and say - "Well we are tired of the SEC getting in every year, so we are adding more spots so we have a change". Hell no.