• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things We're Cooking

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks pretty damn good! The hotter the better and you got that covered.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Ideally I'm hoping to get rid of the ring of light pink and essentially have a blue rare with a firm crust. I have the crust down, and I'm very happy with the timing, but it's just a matter of temperature at this point I think.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SlinkyRedfoot One of these times I'm back up in Akron (which is somewhat frequent), I'd love to grab a beer. I think we both have some solid ideas to bounce off each other.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well put this up. Been messing with some curry stir-fry recipes recently. Baked the chicken the night before, then cubed it up and tossed it with spicy curry paste and coconut water (simmer), then added kale, broccoli, jalapeno, asparagus, red/green/yellow peppers, some spices, and then I added one of my favorite hot condiments ever - Gator Sauce. It's not expensive but damn it adds some fantastic flavor.

IMG_1246.jpg

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Edisto_Tiger I was wondering when you were gonna show up in this thread man! You've got some damn nice trophies to show off!
Great thread. I love all the pics. I can see lots of inspiration coming from this.

I smoked my first boston butt this weekend on a "real" smoker, not my grill. It came out ok. The crust or bark was outstanding and the meat had good flavor, it was just a little dry. I think I left it on too long.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thread. I love all the pics. I can see lots of inspiration coming from this.

I smoked my first boston butt this weekend on a "real" smoker, not my grill. It came out ok. The crust or bark was outstanding and the meat had good flavor, it was just a little dry. I think I left it on too long.
Well at least you're on the right track. Getting the crust and flavor right is most important. Once you get the timing down you're set.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Ideally I'm hoping to get rid of the ring of light pink and essentially have a blue rare with a firm crust. I have the crust down, and I'm very happy with the timing, but it's just a matter of temperature at this point I think.
Yep you got it! Its temperature. I was going to ask you if you were going for blue or extra blue rare. Just remember different cuts of meat will result a little different from the next based on mainly the amount of fat the steak has but going for blue rare, a hot enough skillet will make the "cooking" time to a minimum.

When it comes to cooking, the best way to learn is by screwing things up! :suds:

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well put this up. Been messing with some curry stir-fry recipes recently. Baked the chicken the night before, then cubed it up and tossed it with spicy curry paste and coconut water (simmer), then added kale, broccoli, jalapeno, asparagus, red/green/yellow peppers, some spices, and then I added one of my favorite hot condiments ever - Gator Sauce. It's not expensive but damn it adds some fantastic flavor.

View attachment 84783
Wish I liked coconut because that looks great! Any issues with the kale not being tender? I used to always have problems with kale before I learned you have to cook the shit out of it to get it good and tender. Not always though.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shad and bacon-wrapped shad roe w/ stone ground yellow grits:

View attachment 84761

View attachment 84762
Looks so good! How was the shad roe after deep frying it? Stay good and tender? Bacon looks like it kept the membrane from popping so I imagine those turned out perfect? I haven't had shad roe in YEARS! Cant get anything like that around here.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks so good! How was the shad roe after deep frying it? Stay good and tender? Bacon looks like it kept the membrane from popping so I imagine those turned out perfect? I haven't had shad roe in YEARS! Cant get anything like that around here.
I actually put it in the oven and it turns out great. And yes the bacon helps the roe from popping. The shad run is almost here too. It's a short season from about mid Feb to the first or middle of march.

I went 3 times last year. Here's one of the catches. 10 is the limit, so all I keep are the roe shad and I release all the buck shad.

10997707_10206337611983719_6862878196693050049_n.jpg

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I tried the fish itself last year and it is just way too boney to eat, even slicing it into quarter inch steaks. This fish has more bones in it than any fish I have ever cleaned. So now I cut the fish up into chunks for catfish and shark bait and just keep the roe.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I tried the fish itself last year and it is just way too boney to eat, even slicing it into quarter inch steaks. This fish has more bones in it than any fish I have ever cleaned. So now I cut the fish up into chunks for catfish and shark bait and just keep the roe.
Yeah its on of those where the roe is worth more than the fish.

Is the shad run during soft shell season?