• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things We're Cooking

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hesitant to check out Delmonico's again after going to the one in Independence last summer. That might have been the most disappointing steak I've ever had. I got the prime strip that they advertise so much (and is their most expensive) and it was extremely bland and had no crust whatsoever. I'm assuming the one in Vegas has to be better, though.

I hear you, but I will tell you, they're not affiliated at all.

The one in Independence is owned by the restaurant group that owns Blue Point, Salmon Dave's, and a few other spots around Cleveland.

The one in Vegas is owned and run by Emeril Lagasse.

Massive difference. I've been to Delmonico's in Vegas more than any other restaurant out there and I've never been disappointed.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you, but I will tell you, they're not affiliated at all.

The one in Independence is owned by the restaurant group that owns Blue Point, Salmon Dave's, and a few other spots around Cleveland.

The one in Vegas is owned and run by Emeril Lagasse.

Massive difference. I've been to Delmonico's in Vegas more than any other restaurant out there and I've never been disappointed.
Awesome, I'll have to add them to the next trip.

That's surprising about the one in Independence. I've been to Blue Point a few times (granted it's been probably 6 years or so), and was never disappointed. My (now ex) girlfriend at the time got a filet and was underwhelmed, the famous lobster bisque was very average, and the tiramisu was awful. The ex was a very talented baker, and the first bite she took of it, she said "this was frozen." After hearing that, it was the icing on top of a terrible experience.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome, I'll have to add them to the next trip.

Here's another one - and this might sound crazy - Javier's at Aria. It's Mexican, but I guarantee you it's not like any Mexican you've had before. They had to practically roll me out of there the first time I went because I just kept eating, everything was so damned good.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another one - and this might sound crazy - Javier's at Aria. It's Mexican, but I guarantee you it's not like any Mexican you've had before. They had to practically roll me out of there the first time I went because I just kept eating, everything was so damned good.
Nice! That might have to happen on this trip. Is it more of a formal dinner place or would a lunch trip be good?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice! That might have to happen on this trip. Is it more of a formal dinner place or would a lunch trip be good?

You could go for lunch. It's high-end Mexican, but like most places in Vegas, it's casual. Check out the website.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another thread, you'd asked if I've ever bought meat at the West Side Market. I haven't but I've been meaning to. I guess there's a place there that specializes in skirt steaks, which when done right, might be my favorite. I just found that out a couple months ago and I've been meaning to go up there, but my schedule has been pretty fucked up.

Skirt and flanks are awesome if prepared right. A marinade is always good. Cutting it is key too....against the grain and thinly sliced. Mmmm....makes me wanna make Carne Asadas right now.

With the higher end steaks, the best advice I can give, is spend the extra few bucks and make sure you get USDA PRIME. Night and day difference.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were to offer any advise based on that picture, get a lot more liberal with your pepper use. I basically treat mine like I'm making blackened chicken. Remember, roughly 40% of the seasoning you put on is going to come off in the pan, whether you're using stainless or a cast iron. I've also found that it's fair more beneficial to apply the olive oil directly to the steak as opposed to putting it in the pan. I usually season, then add the olive oil, then add another strong layer of pepper. Otherwise, though, that looks like a damn tasty steak. Also, is that broccolini on the side?
When cooking a Pittsburgh style steak tho, gotta be careful with seasoning since you aren't getting much fat(depending on the cut) melt to wash off the seasoning. Especially with tenderloin for lack of fat but you are dead on that people under-season a lot of the time.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When cooking a Pittsburgh style steak tho, gotta be careful with seasoning since you aren't getting much fat(depending on the cut) melt to wash off the seasoning. Especially with tenderloin for lack of fat but you are dead on that people under-season a lot of the time.

Got any tips on getting the pan as hot as possible? I've been letting it heat up in the oven to 500, then throwing it on the gas range for ten minutes or so. I'm just not getting the "Pittsburgh" that I get sometimes.

Then again, not to many steakhouses get it right either, in my opinion. Pittsburgh rare is not an easy thing to do.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got any tips on getting the pan as hot as possible? I've been letting it heat up in the oven to 500, then throwing it on the gas range for ten minutes or so. I'm just not getting the "Pittsburgh" that I get sometimes.

Then again, not to many steakhouses get it right either, in my opinion. Pittsburgh rare is not an easy thing to do.
The best way is an iron skillet on a gas stove. Problem is you smoke up your house but is there a burner on your grill by chance?

(edit) I didn't read your post right and you already said you used the gas range:L

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry didn't read your post right so I missed that you already said you used your gas range. Using that is likely the hottest you can get it but if the grill is on, it may lower the btu output on the burner? If you have gas inside it would likely get hotter?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best way is an iron skillet on a gas stove. Problem is you smoke up your house but is there a burner on your grill by chance?

(edit) I didn't read your post right and you already said you used the gas range:L

I'm guessing the output on the gas range in my house leaves something to be desired.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the output on the gas range in my house leaves something to be desired.
Do you let your steaks sit out for a bit before you sear them? From fridge to skillet, it will cool the skillet down more so letting at least the surface of the steak warm a little would help.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you let your steaks sit out for a bit before you sear them? From fridge to skillet, it will cool the skillet down more so letting at least the surface of the steak warm a little would help.

I let my steaks sit out anywhere from 3 to 6 hours before I cook them.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I let my steaks sit out anywhere from 3 to 6 hours before I cook them.
On the opposite side of that, if you don't sit them out quite so long, the middle of the meat will be cooler and wont over cook as easily so it buys you a little more time if you cant get a skillet hot enough.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the opposite side of that, if you don't sit them out quite so long, the middle of the meat will be cooler and wont over cook as easily so it buys you a little more time if you cant get a skillet hot enough.

Good point. I might give that a try, but I will say that I like what leaving a steak out for 3+ hours does.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I decided to move things up a week. Went with filet again.

@Gooch1034 if you look at the first picture I posted on the first page, I'm not there yet but I feel like I'm on the right track for the Pittsburgh Black. However, I got way better results on stainless steel than on the cast iron. Unfortunately I'm working with an electric range but it worked out well the first time pretty well. Any thoughts/critiques?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take 3: back to the stainless steel. Similar results, getting better. Definitely like it better than on the cast iron, though next time I think I need to make it just a bit hotter.

IMG_1277.jpg

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take 3: back to the stainless steel. Similar results, getting better. Definitely like it better than on the cast iron, though next time I think I need to make it just a bit hotter.

View attachment 84719
Looks pretty damn good! The hotter the better and you got that covered.