• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things We're Cooking

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roast beef
20170704_174820-jpg.162529

You can see smoke ring :)

It was good, I just wish I had been able to get thinner slice

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marinating a roast for some Sauerbraten on Christmas Day. My first attempt at this dish, so we'll see ....

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing a standing rib roast (bone-in prime rib) for Christmas Eve tomorrow. Bought a full 6 rib, 12 pound usda Prime hunk-o-beef. I used to do roasts in my infra red cooker I talked about long ago in that electric smoker thread, but recently found out that thing died and I haven't bought a new one yet. Pretty sure i will eventually, but probably not until i realky start missing it. Been a long time ince
I've done an oven roast and this is not only an expensive cut, but also an important meal. So wish me luck!

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was an interesting dinner. Oven at my mom's house stopped working correctly. We think the thermostat went out, but it completely burnt chex mix in 15 minutes set at 250 and then left "baked" potatoes raw after an hour at 350. So that was out. My mom's gas grill wasn't big enough to indirectly cook a roast that large, so that was out too. So my brother who lives closest grabbed his smoker, which he said holds a stable temp really well. But he could only get it up to 300 degrees yesterday for me without adding burning wood, and everyone had decided we didn't really want smoked prime rib.

So seared it on the grill and then waited an hour longer than expected to get the roast up to 135 (I know, but it was the best compromise with sister in law who only eats well done meat. Even actual Prime prime rib.) Mom made twice baked potatoes on the grill instead of the scalloped cheesy potatoes i had been hoping for. We msde it work, and everything ended up being good. Just a very late dinner and all the grandkids (and most everyone else) was grumpy by the time food was served. But we made it work.

What a shitty time for an oven to break though.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was an interesting dinner. Oven at my mom's house stopped working correctly. We think the thermostat went out, but it completely burnt chex mix in 15 minutes set at 250 and then left "baked" potatoes raw after an hour at 350. So that was out. My mom's gas grill wasn't big enough to indirectly cook a roast that large, so that was out too. So my brother who lives closest grabbed his smoker, which he said holds a stable temp really well. But he could only get it up to 300 degrees yesterday for me without adding burning wood, and everyone had decided we didn't really want smoked prime rib.

So seared it on the grill and then waited an hour longer than expected to get the roast up to 135 (I know, but it was the best compromise with sister in law who only eats well done meat. Even actual Prime prime rib.) Mom made twice baked potatoes on the grill instead of the scalloped cheesy potatoes i had been hoping for. We msde it work, and everything ended up being good. Just a very late dinner and all the grandkids (and most everyone else) was grumpy by the time food was served. But we made it work.

What a shitty time for an oven to break though.

Reverse-seared a Prime prime rib roast for Christmas night. Perfectly cooked. Pink right to the edge, with a nice crusty crust. No shitty gray edge. Delicious.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sauerbraten from Christmas, along with the spaetzle and rotkohl (German red cabbage).

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 10.23.31 AM.png

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wing night

Attachments

• 656FB725-26DD-4A3B-91D4-CCFBB5FA469A.jpeg
    656FB725-26DD-4A3B-91D4-CCFBB5FA469A.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 6

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been making my own breakfast sausage. Actually pretty easy, it's just ground up pork butt with spices. Need a meat grinder obviously.

Mine is less fatty than most sausage, but still has all the flavor. It doesn't fry up as dark as other sausage either, so I was a bit worried. It's a little cheaper so long as I can get the pork butt on sale, but not huge savings compared to cheapest sausage, atleast now I know what's going in it. Pretty much control how hot you want it with the amount of red pepper you put in it. I do a little more than a "mild" recipe, but a little less than the "hot".

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been making my own breakfast sausage. Actually pretty easy, it's just ground up pork butt with spices. Need a meat grinder obviously.

Mine is less fatty than most sausage, but still has all the flavor. It doesn't fry up as dark as other sausage either, so I was a bit worried. It's a little cheaper so long as I can get the pork butt on sale, but not huge savings compared to cheapest sausage, atleast now I know what's going in it. Pretty much control how hot you want it with the amount of red pepper you put in it. I do a little more than a "mild" recipe, but a little less than the "hot".

You can also find quality seasoning packs and/or recipes with different flavors from sage to maple, hot to mild and adjust them to your personal tastes.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can also find quality seasoning packs and/or recipes with different flavors from sage to maple, hot to mild and adjust them to your personal tastes.

I'm using this recipe pretty much:

An Expat Cooks: Copycat Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage

Definitely will be doing some maple before long. I don't like it everyday, but it's good on occasion. Today was only my 2nd batch as 1 pork butt makes about 5-6lbs.

I only did a single grind last time. I did a double grind this time and it looked much more consistent with fat/meat, so I'm expecting it to be even better but we'll see.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm using this recipe pretty much:

An Expat Cooks: Copycat Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage

Definitely will be doing some maple before long. I don't like it everyday, but it's good on occasion. Today was only my 2nd batch as 1 pork butt makes about 5-6lbs.

I only did a single grind last time. I did a double grind this time and it looked much more consistent with fat/meat, so I'm expecting it to be even better but we'll see.

I am kind of lucky because there are many people around here still scraping hogs so I can load up on fresh homemade sausage. I have two suppliers, one with the best gravy making sausage I have ever been around. A few years ago Dad(RIP) told me that my gravy was better than Grandma's.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am kind of lucky because there are many people around here still scraping hogs so I can load up on fresh homemade sausage. I have two suppliers, one with the best gravy making sausage I have ever been around. A few years ago Dad(RIP) told me that my gravy was better than Grandma's.

I wish I had a good source for pork belly at a price that isn't more expensive than just buying bacon. I would totally smoke and slice my own bacon. But none of the local grocery store butchers even carry it, and I seen it at Sam's Club for $5 a lb one time and passed on it. I'd be looking at $7-$8 a lb for bacon after doing everything and that's just a bit too much.

Sausage this morning was even better than 1st batch. Will for sure keep doing that so long as I can keep getting pork butts for $1.69 a lb.