• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things We're Cooking

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rDsgIpm.jpg

jsYp3Df.jpg

Prep:
Went pretty simple with the elk steaks. After thawing them out I let them rest in the fridge for an hour. Then I salted them on both sides and put them back in the fridge for another couple hours to give them plenty of time to pull the juices out and then reabsorb it (essentially like brining it).

Cooking:
Put canola oil in the cast iron (highest smoke point oil I had on hand) and got it smoking hot. Pressed fresh ground pepper into the steaks on both sides then tossed them 2 at a time into the pan. Seared 30 seconds per side and pulled them onto the cutting board to rest. After I got them all seared I reduced the heat and put them back into the pan to baste with butter, rosemary, & thyme.

Results:
Tender, juicy, amazing... Didn't get good consistency with the steak crust from the pan sear, some were better than others. But I got the medium rare steaks I was looking for. Working with a glasstop (electric) range made it difficult to maintain heat. Probably could have spent a little more time between sears to get the pan back up to temp, but overall I wasn't disappointed. The S&P, then basting method was perfect for flavor. Didn't take anything away from the taste of the meat itself, just complemented it. Definitely recommend the rosemary & thyme to give it a more fragrant crust.

@Edisto_Tiger @SlinkyRedfoot @AlaskaGuy @DHoey
I like steak :pout:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a spaghetti squash to cook up tonight. No idea what needs to be done to make that taste good...

My wife cooks this stuff sometimes. Best advice is to remove it from the box and place it directly in the toilet.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife cooks this stuff sometimes. Best advice is to remove it from the box and place it directly in the toilet.
Not too bad if you make spaghetti or other pastas with it. My wife & I like to make "spaghetti boats" with them.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rDsgIpm.jpg

jsYp3Df.jpg

Prep:
Went pretty simple with the elk steaks. After thawing them out I let them rest in the fridge for an hour. Then I salted them on both sides and put them back in the fridge for another couple hours to give them plenty of time to pull the juices out and then reabsorb it (essentially like brining it).

Cooking:
Put canola oil in the cast iron (highest smoke point oil I had on hand) and got it smoking hot. Pressed fresh ground pepper into the steaks on both sides then tossed them 2 at a time into the pan. Seared 30 seconds per side and pulled them onto the cutting board to rest. After I got them all seared I reduced the heat and put them back into the pan to baste with butter, rosemary, & thyme.

Results:
Tender, juicy, amazing... Didn't get good consistency with the steak crust from the pan sear, some were better than others. But I got the medium rare steaks I was looking for. Working with a glasstop (electric) range made it difficult to maintain heat. Probably could have spent a little more time between sears to get the pan back up to temp, but overall I wasn't disappointed. The S&P, then basting method was perfect for flavor. Didn't take anything away from the taste of the meat itself, just complemented it. Definitely recommend the rosemary & thyme to give it a more fragrant crust.

@Edisto_Tiger @SlinkyRedfoot @AlaskaGuy @DHoey @Gooch1034 @williewilliejuan
Sounds awesome!!

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About to hook up some chick-parm, or at least the lazy man's version.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ham with beans and Rick ham and beans with rice and fried taters.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I finally perfected my pork butt cooking this past weekend. Extra tender and juicy, full of flavor etc. My best yet.

Most people cook at 225. Instead I'm doing 260-275. My first one I cooked at 275 because I didn't have digital probes at grate level. It turned out really juicy and tender. I got the probes and took my temps down to 225-250. They were still good, but not as juicy/tender.

I thought it was just me, but I did a little research and I read that the stall is caused by the meat "sweating", aka the moisture is leaving the meat and it cools it off the way. Nothing new exactly, but it went further to explain that the more it's in the stall the more moisture you are losing. But if you have a higher temperature, you can get through the stall faster and as a result maintain more moisture resulting in more tender and juicy BBQ.

It's also why wrapping them makes them better. The meat sweats, but it's like being bundled in a bunch of clothes, it doesn't cool you off at all.

So I wrapped when the meat hit 150 degrees, before it went into the stall. I had been wrapping after the stall at 165 degrees, which was causing it to lose more moisture. I didn't have a stall at all.

End result was it was done quicker and it tasted better. I had plenty of smoke flavor because I burn wood only, but if you want/need more smoke flavor you could do 225 until it hits the 150 internal, but then bump the heat up once wrapped so you don't have a stall.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I finally perfected my pork butt cooking this past weekend. Extra tender and juicy, full of flavor etc. My best yet.

Most people cook at 225. Instead I'm doing 260-275. My first one I cooked at 275 because I didn't have digital probes at grate level. It turned out really juicy and tender. I got the probes and took my temps down to 225-250. They were still good, but not as juicy/tender.

I thought it was just me, but I did a little research and I read that the stall is caused by the meat "sweating", aka the moisture is leaving the meat and it cools it off the way. Nothing new exactly, but it went further to explain that the more it's in the stall the more moisture you are losing. But if you have a higher temperature, you can get through the stall faster and as a result maintain more moisture resulting in more tender and juicy BBQ.

It's also why wrapping them makes them better. The meat sweats, but it's like being bundled in a bunch of clothes, it doesn't cool you off at all.

So I wrapped when the meat hit 150 degrees, before it went into the stall. I had been wrapping after the stall at 165 degrees, which was causing it to lose more moisture. I didn't have a stall at all.

End result was it was done quicker and it tasted better. I had plenty of smoke flavor because I burn wood only, but if you want/need more smoke flavor you could do 225 until it hits the 150 internal, but then bump the heat up once wrapped so you don't have a stall.
meat sweats, :-), intriguing though!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Tuesday, and I'm smoking a pork butt.

I think I may have a problem.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not enough meat?

Actually, the entire reason I'm doing it is because they happened to have a 6lb butt instead of an 8-10lb butt. Well, maybe not the entire reason, but the excuse reason.

I live thousands of miles away from my family, so there is only 3 of us that eat it. Lots gets wasted even though we usually eat leftovers for a few days. Plus it cooks much faster.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a deli meat slicer today.

LonelyKnobbyBlackwidowspider-max-1mb.gif

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a deli meat slicer today.

LonelyKnobbyBlackwidowspider-max-1mb.gif

I've been kicking around getting one for awhile now, some cuts of beef only way to get tender is cut it thin with slicer, just cant with knife

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been kicking around getting one for awhile now, some cuts of beef only way to get tender is cut it thin with slicer, just cant with knife

I've been wanting to do roast beef for awhile, and almost did a month or so ago before pulling the plug on it simply because I didn't think I could cut it thin enough myself. I want the thinnest slices possible, like going to a deli and I couldn't see getting a good compromise with even with a great knife.

If anyone has ever smoked a roast beef before with the intentions of slicing it rather than pulling it(aka taking it to 135-140 range instead of 195+) I'm all ears. I've seen people talk about smoking it at 200 degrees to get a longer smoke. And it seems Worcestershire and salt/pepper/garlic are common seasonings.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been wanting to do roast beef for awhile, and almost did a month or so ago before pulling the plug on it simply because I didn't think I could cut it thin enough myself. I want the thinnest slices possible, like going to a deli and I couldn't see getting a good compromise with even with a great knife.

If anyone has ever smoked a roast beef before with the intentions of slicing it rather than pulling it(aka taking it to 135-140 range instead of 195+) I'm all ears. I've seen people talk about smoking it at 200 degrees to get a longer smoke. And it seems Worcestershire and salt/pepper/garlic are common seasonings.

I've done sliced, I put a pic in things I'm cooking

I cooked @275. It turned out good, but I couldn't get it thin as I'd like so was a bit more chew....