• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Viking new stadium is on Chicago Ave and the city wont let them change it

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The official address of the Vikings new stadium is 530 Chicago Ave and the Vikes want to change the name of the Street to Vikings Way. But the Minneapolis planning commission unanimously rejected the request earlier this week.

My opinion is these people on the planning commission are pretty big morons. They spend a billion dollars create a nice new facility and then have to have a Chicago Ave address :noidea:

Minneapolis refuses to free Vikings from unfortunate address

Imagine for a moment you're an Ohio State football fan living in Chicago with a boatload of duckets to drop on some real estate. You might steer away from a Michigan Avenue address, just to avoid your Buckeyes bros sending a live wolverine into your penthouse to destroy your autographed Woody Hayes boxing gloves.

Did that paint a frightening enough picture for you?

Well, the Minnesota Vikings are living that nightmare right now. The team is attempting to change the current 530 Chicago Avenue address for its new $1 billion stadium project to Vikings Way, but the Minneapolis planning commission unanimously rejected the request earlier this week, according to the Star Tribune.

“To have this occur today is just disappointing,” Vikings vice president Lester Bagley told the Star Tribune following Monday's ruling against the team. “We asked for the street name to be changed to Vikings Way because the Vikings are a long-term iconic business. This would be our mailing address. This would be an honor to the Minnesota Vikings history and future.”

That's right. The NFC North rival Bears are playing Newman to the Vikings' Seinfeld. Perhaps the team should've thought of that before beginning the project with $500 million in public funding, the commission seemed to say with its ruling. The city council will have final say on the matter, according to the Tribunek, and at least one city councilor is already holding the street naming rights over the Vikings' heads, asking the team to concede more public access to the Downtown East Commons adjacent to the stadium project.

“If we can return the Commons to a people’s park," Minneapolis City Council Member Jacob Frey told the Star Tribune, "I’m certainly willing to compromise on the editing of a street sign."

Oddly, one of the reasons the planning commission rejected the team's proposal, according to the report, is a morgue that shares Chicago Avenue with the stadium and would need to change its address to Viking Way if the proposal was approved. Come to think of it, The Morgue is a great nickname for U.S. Bank Stadium.

I'm trying to think of the worst possible address for an NFL team's offices, and the best I can come up with is "The Patriot Way" for the New York Jets. I'm sure the comment section will have its say on this matter.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the commission are morons, but didn't the Vikings realize this before they signed the construction comtract? I'd think this should have been rectified before ground breaking.