• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The remaining schedule.....

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be hard for the Reds NOT to make "the playoffs" which by definition could mean only playing in a one game play-in game. IMO, the Reds best chance to do something besides embarrass themselves is to win the division where they are guaranteed to play at least 3 games. Last season, Dusty had his 2nd best career post season performance, by being the first NL team in history to be eliminated by losing 3 games at homestand home after beginning 2-0 on the road. To say I don't trusty in Dusty in a short series, is an understatement.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nats loss tonight cost them 2 days in the standings.
Reds win added one more to that.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically, the Reds have to reel off a massive winning streak AND the Cards and Pirates have to lose more games than the Reds are currently behind by for the Reds to win the division. A long shot, at best.
I hope they play like their backs are to the wall, but get the feeling that the attitude has been for a long time that just getting to a playoff was "good enough", and counting on "anything can happen" after that...unfortunately my expectations started exceeding that in 2010. The Reds talent is considerably better now than then, IMO, and I don't think the competition as a whole is any better.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oddly, if Houston was still in the NL-C, the Reds would be right on pace to equal last year's record.
There isn't any sense of urgency for Dusty. He will still squander outs with stupid bunts. And he will continue to mismanage Aroldis Chapman.

Dusty even had Choo bunting with Hamilton at first base! Choo fouled it off, maybe intentionally. Hamilton stole second a pitch later. I mean *REALLY?* It happened!

I suppose Hamilton will be quietly stashed in the dugout now for the remainder of the season while Heisey and Ludwick make complete fools of themselves trying to hit and play LF.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opportunity only knocks, and Dusty usually doesn't answer. There is little reason not to use Hamilton on a regular basis while he's getting on base. It makes the D better, and so far, Hamilton may be the only small ball weapon Dusty can't goof up. The Reds don't get on base enough to clog the bases in front of him often.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at NL playoff picture, Atlanta will get the play-in winner- either Pittsburgh or Cincinnati. The Braves and Reds have the worst road records of all logical playoff teams, but Atlanta will start at home. The Reds won't.

On paper, the Reds can match up decently, except against teams that can start lefty pitchers. Teams with substantial lefty hitters are also a probable problem for the Reds, especially if the Reds start breaking ball dependant guys like Arroyo and Leake. I can't assume anything from Dusty, but I would guess if Cueto is healthy, he, Latos and Bailey would be the top 3 SP in a playoff rotation...if the Reds go deep into a series, a 4th SP is needed, but to go 5 deep is foolishness, regardless of the years Leake/Arroyo have put up. How that is managed is a question mark. Hamilton has the potential to add a couple of things the opposition isn't used to seeing from the Reds, IF he's on the roster and used, and can get on base. He brings an unstoppable steal component to the least steal likely of teams...huge for not only advancing runners, but in distracting pitchers and defenses into doing things they don't want to do...and there are lots of residual benefits there. He also improves the OF defense, which has been mostly ho-hum, with occasional great play, and equal occurances of Bafoonery, especially in LF... where Choo would be better gloved than in CF, where at least the fastest man alive can run (Hamilton). That OF also would be the best collective throwing OF in MLB. No disprespect for Ludwick, but this team can do more on both sides of the diamond with Hamilton than Ludwick, as long as Hamilton can get on base regularly. He also injects some energy into a normally dial-tone team.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Reds are making the Mets look like their '69 version. They sure have a knack for making normal pitchers on bad team look overpowering. Not very inspired, or inspiring...but they haven't backed completely out of that corner they keep hugging themselves into- they still have that one game playoff to look forward to... In Pittsburgh, against Liriano, probably. Maybe Izturis will hit in that one too.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Izturis, Duke and Cueto all got base hits in that 3-game series.

They weren't trying to set the league record for walks.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals limped in with best record- they'll host the Reds-Pirates play in winner.

Craig is out, Beltran and Molina are gimpy. Every team is beat up this time of year, but those guys are a big part of their success. Holiday has come on strong at the end for them though.

Not to look past the Pirates, of course...they showed this weekend that they have good reason to believe they aren't finished yet.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals have a ton of minor problems but they do one thing the Reds don't -- they come out hitting and they hit till the score runs. Then the score more runs. Pitchers really like that.
Gives them confidence so that they don't have to whine about the definition of urgency. It's urgent all right -- for the team that can't score any runs.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some managers have a career of urgency- the ones that won a lot. I remember a few getting the axe losing a World Series, LCS or Division. I can't remember how many times Billy Martin was fired then rehired. I think Davey Johnson got fired from the Reds after a pretty good year. Pinella did ok and still got the axe. Sparky was let go because the team wasn't very good, and the Reds were going cheap on more than just players... even though some people believed they were just allowing Sparky to go to another winner in Detroit out of kindness to him.

I always felt that winners put more pressure on the other team than they took. Losers seem to always fear pressure. Not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg, but I think how it's spun to the other people in the dugout makes a difference. Saying you expect to win, is one thing. Playing like it is another.