• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The refs, and fouls and WTF

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit, I stopped watching the NBA several years ago. I sometimes tune in for the finals but this season I have watched a lot of playoff games. I no longer have any idea what a foul is? Guys are continuously getting mugged and what used to be an obvious foul is now just hard play. Is it better? Might be but there is still a lack of consistency in what is called.
I remember in the days of MJ that a fingertip touch while he was shooting was a foul. Now, you can bump the guy into the stands and it isn't called.

WTF? I miss the days of "showtime". What happened to the NBA? The teams of yesterday now suck, and the perennial suck teams are in the playoffs? Your kidding right!

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit, I stopped watching the NBA several years ago. I sometimes tune in for the finals but this season I have watched a lot of playoff games. I no longer have any idea what a foul is? Guys are continuously getting mugged and what used to be an obvious foul is now just hard play. Is it better? Might be but there is still a lack of consistency in what is called.
I remember in the days of MJ that a fingertip touch while he was shooting was a foul. Now, you can bump the guy into the stands and it isn't called.

WTF? I miss the days of "showtime". What happened to the NBA? The teams of yesterday now suck, and the perennial suck teams are in the playoffs? Your kidding right!

Go back and warch the Knicks play under Pat Riley and the Bad Boy Piatons teams. They were very physical .

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the bad boys days, yes, it was physical. Going inside and a player was fouled, he knew he was fouled. No doubt when you are on your back. But they called it a foul. Now, not so much.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Game 3 of the Cavs/Bulls series was ridiculous- I am all for "letting em play"- but it was to a point where there was gross negligence and the game started to get out of hand. The same thing happened in the Boston series- the refs were "letting em play"- Brad Stevens told the team the next guy that is emasculated by the Cavs for giving up offensive rebounds is going to be benched with their balls in a jar on my desk- and you get guys going out there and doing what Olynk did. It leads to a situation where you are only calling the most obvious fouls- and potentially LEGACY changing calls like the swallowed whistle when Bron got fouled by Noah under neath before his game winner-

I think they should clean it up a little bit....they do tend to over-react calling flagrants in some instances--- while some instances if you stick to whether the individual "made a basketball play" it really does not give you a ton of wiggle room when assessing a flagrant 1. I think Gibson should have just gotten a flagrant 1- and really- his previous action of throwing delly to the ground and then landing him i think were worse and potentially much more harmful than the kick- but the kick just looks REALLY bad...

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kick in the butt? I thought both players should have been called. I don't have a favorite team or player in any of this. Just amazed at the beatings some of these guys are getting.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, refs call fouls for the most tick tack things.... I"m not sure what your talking about.... the current NBA doesn't even let you play low post defense... I think you got it backwards bro... Refs don't allow ENOUGH physical play and that's the problem... Go back to the 70's and 80's and you were knocked on your AZZ for running into the lane expecting a foul call...

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I miss the days of defense and rebounding more, though. Sometimes good defense is played, but usually it is an offensive shootout. Also, you almost never see a big battle for rebounds. These both are why I prefer college ball to the pros.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss the days of defense and rebounding more, though. Sometimes good defense is played, but usually it is an offensive shootout. Also, you almost never see a big battle for rebounds. These both are why I prefer college ball to the pros.

College games aren't lower scoring because of good defense, it's because almost all college players and teams suck at scoring.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what this guy is talking about. Basketball isn't a contact sport anymore due to all of the Ricky tack fouls called. It's less of a contact sport than soccer now.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the bad boys days, yes, it was physical. Going inside and a player was fouled, he knew he was fouled. No doubt when you are on your back. But they called it a foul. Now, not so much.

A lot of physical play was not called back then. Players got away with some things then that would get them thrown out of a game today. Regarding your comment on Jordan, the biggest NBA stars get phantom and ticky tack calls sometimes. It just happens in the NBA.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College games aren't lower scoring because of good defense, it's because almost all college players and teams suck at scoring.

I don't watch college ball but I imagine it isn't what it once was with so many of the young promising players bolting to the NBA after just a season or two of college ball

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, refs call fouls for the most tick tack things.... I"m not sure what your talking about.... the current NBA doesn't even let you play low post defense... I think you got it backwards bro... Refs don't allow ENOUGH physical play and that's the problem... Go back to the 70's and 80's and you were knocked on your AZZ for running into the lane expecting a foul call...

LOL, The 30 for 30 shows have a episode on the Detroit bad boys and the Magic/Bird rivalry that I watched last week. Amazing seeing what they did and got away with back then.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, The 30 for 30 shows have a episode on the Detroit bad boys and the Magic/Bird rivalry that I watched last week. Amazing seeing what they did and got away with back then.

I know man.... B-ball was such a physical game back then...

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the Bad Boys 30 for 30... the NBA now is pussy shit in comparison. Physicality is more enjoyable to watch, embrace it

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bird just chucking the ball at Laimbeer was classic

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NBA rules changed when Michael Jordan took about 5 or 6 steps before he dunked the ball.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nba has not changed. The golden boys like lebron still never foul out of games. Shaq should have fouled out of every game he ever played in.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA rules changed when Michael Jordan took about 5 or 6 steps before he dunked the ball.
Meanwhile lesser players would hear the whistle. If anybody tried to play defense against Jordan a foul would be called whether they touched him or not

Reactions: GNG