• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Running Back Trend and How it Affects Fantasy Football

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Jacobs would've outscored Mahomes by 180pts in that format :eek:
Perfect :)

I ain't sayin it wouldn't take some tweaking, obviously. Just that the circumstances that brought about the ppr scoring system, no longer exist. WR's no longer need the bump.

Perhaps just standard is the way to go? Kinda why I prefer it anyways

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ain't sayin it wouldn't take some tweaking, obviously. Just that the circumstances that brought about the ppr scoring system, no longer exist. WR's no longer need the bump.
Agree. :10:
Back in the day, QB didn't scramble and games revolved around a lead RB.

Fantasy scoring needs to be more balanced for today's game. Bring QB scoring down. Bring RB scoring up.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fantasy scoring needs to be more balanced for today's game. Bring QB scoring down. Bring RB scoring up.

again... first down does that!!! love that stat!!!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rushing QB adding just as much if not more rushing 1st downs than most RBs

rushing QBs do mess up the code a little... but they mess up the code compared to all QBs anyway... rush attempts would mess it up even more than 1st downs would...

most sites allow for measuring stats differently for different positions... which would solve that problem before it even becomes one...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the only thing that scares me about knocking the QB down, is that, while yes, you do even the playing field , you also destroy virtually all QB's not in or very near, that elite class. The #9 or so and on down QB's are virtually worthless, outside of needing to have one.

But then again, maybe that's ok, cuz, in today's NFL, if you ain't throwing 30 or damned near 30 scores, I don't think you should be back there in the first place. And i don't care how many rushing yards you can get.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you do even the playing field , you also destroy virtually all QB's not in or very near, that elite class.
Not necessarily with QBR.
"Game managers" fair pretty well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230815_132605_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230815_132605_Samsung Internet.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 5

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess one reason I personally wanted to see a more level scoring system is because a fantasy team needs all positions. QB scoring puts mediocre QB play above an upper tiered RB. To me, this is a miscarriage of justice.

A fantasy novice doesnt have to strategize to assemble a well-balanced team anymore. He just needs to draft an elite QB.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MilkSpiller22
Found these stats from 2019 in an old FantasyPros article. When scoring first downs or PPFD, this is how the scoring affects each position. Clearly, RB gets a bump compared to other positions:

PositionAverage Change in Overall Ranking
Quarterback-8.3
Running Back+2.1
Wide Receiver+0.9
Tight End-0.1

Here's the article:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rushing QB adding just as much if not more rushing 1st downs than most RBs
All QB yards should be counted the same whether rushing or passing (25,30,50 per point, whatever) and all QB touchdowns should be counted equal (preferably 4 pts) even if they rush it in.

That would fix the QB scoring problem. But people loved that shit. They loved fucking up fantasy football by using some lame ass qb that can't throw. I even did it last year. Dumped Tom Brady for Justin Fields. One was a shit QB and one was the greatest ever. It's so stupid.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that ppr was only ever a thing to bring value to wr's in the previously RB dominated league, makes some sense to ditch ppr and go to point per rush attempt today
My 2 leagues give .2 pts per rush attempt.

.5 pt PPR

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice try, but you'll have to wait until after my drafts before I give you all the secrets
tell me GIF

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perfect :)

Perhaps just standard is the way to go? Kinda why I prefer it anyways
Make it .5 pt

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best (and worst) answer is to include down and distance to figure the value of a play. 2 yards at 3rd and 1 is a valuable play and 2 yards at 1st and 15 is terrible. You could figure out an algorithm for that, but it would be pretty opaque. First downs keeps it simple. I like it @MilkSpiller22.

I think it's fair that elite QBs have high value in FF, because they have the biggest effect in real life.

On topic, though - the financial devaluing of RBs means there may always be good ones floating around, and suddenly your workhorse back's team picks one up and it changes everything. Basically, right now I wouldn't bank too much on a RB's opportunity, because the opportunity might disappear... unless it's their last year in a contract, in which case a team might run them until the wheels fall off because the team doesn't care how worn out they'll be next year. (@TREFF would like to take this moment to present Josh Jacobs.)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best (and worst) answer is to include down and distance to figure the value of a play. 2 yards at 3rd and 1 is a valuable play and 2 yards at 1st and 15 is terrible. You could figure out an algorithm for that, but it would be pretty opaque. First downs keeps it simple. I like it @MilkSpiller22.

I think it's fair that elite QBs have high value in FF, because they have the biggest effect in real life.

On topic, though - the financial devaluing of RBs means there may always be good ones floating around, and suddenly your workhorse back's team picks one up and it changes everything. Basically, right now I wouldn't bank too much on a RB's opportunity, because the opportunity might disappear... unless it's their last year in a contract, in which case a team might run them until the wheels fall off because the team doesn't care how worn out they'll be next year. (@TREFF would like to take this moment to present Josh Jacobs.)

moneywise, i just dont see a solution any time soon...

nor is it an easy one... the only solution i can give is to give a running back bonus based on production....

but with football trying so hard for player safety, i just dont see it ever getting better for running backs...

the 4 biggest problems that i see are trends and not fads

1. only the rare few get drafted early

2. most backs are in committees

3. its rare for any back to be productive(or as productive) past the 28 years of age, and are usually out of football by 30...

4. tanking teams or teams that know they are not going to be very good have no reason to PAY for the veteran back... which just shrinks the market, which gives the teams the advantage to sign the verterans.. so it is unlikely the RB will get the contract they want..,

and problem now is that if the solution is based on draft value, teams will only devalue them even more on draft day....

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly what I said they'd do, exactly what they did..exactly what they wanted to do again this year