• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Positives thread

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have opinions on the Ryan Ludwick rant?

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow that's horseshit.

The fans should be calling out the team for their lack of energy down the stretch. They're in the fucking playoffs vying for better position in the Wild Card and guys like BP, Votto, and Bruce are dogging it. Ludwick just flat out fucking sucks, so there's not much else to be said about that. He seems to have a backward understanding of fan-player enthusiasm. Fans will only show enthusiasm when the players give them reason to show enthusiasm. Fans were enthusiastic when Billy Hamilton debuted. Fans were enthusiastic for the big series throughout the year. Fans will NOT be enthusiastic when the team scores a pittance of runs over the course of a three-game series with a team that won't be catching a whiff of the playoffs for the foreseeable future. Give us something to cheer about, you bum. 10 LOB in one fucking game does not warrant fans cheering you on, Ryan. So kindly take your words and shove them so far up your ass, your anus will rupture. Then we wouldn't have to worry about you being in the lineup.

There. That's my response rant to Ryan Ludwick's ridiculous rant.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwick complaining the fans aren't energized enough.

I guess he doesn't think the fans have any "sense of urgency". It must be contagious, the Reds must have contaminated the entire crowd. Glad I had to work and missed the game.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow that's horseshit.

The fans should be calling out the team for their lack of energy down the stretch. They're in the fucking playoffs vying for better position in the Wild Card and guys like BP, Votto, and Bruce are dogging it. Ludwick just flat out fucking sucks, so there's not much else to be said about that. He seems to have a backward understanding of fan-player enthusiasm. Fans will only show enthusiasm when the players give them reason to show enthusiasm. Fans were enthusiastic when Billy Hamilton debuted. Fans were enthusiastic for the big series throughout the year. Fans will NOT be enthusiastic when the team scores a pittance of runs over the course of a three-game series with a team that won't be catching a whiff of the playoffs for the foreseeable future. Give us something to cheer about, you bum. 10 LOB in one fucking game does not warrant fans cheering you on, Ryan. So kindly take your words and shove them so far up your ass, your anus will rupture. Then we wouldn't have to worry about you being in the lineup.

There. That's my response rant to Ryan Ludwick's ridiculous rant.

But,......, how do you REALLY feel....

Seriously though, thank you for the feedback. While not as harsh or eliquent, those were pretty much my feelings, but, for me, it takes a fan of the team to get the best pulse of a situation.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hehe yeah sorry for the barbershop language.

What he said just drives me insane. And the thing that really frustrates me is making excuses. What it boils down to is Ludwick making excuses for the team's uninspired play against the Mets. He's shifting the blame from where it should be to a cop out: fan energy. There's no accountability. That's something I've noticed in the Dusty Baker era Reds. There really isn't much accountability for underachievement. Dusty, God bless him, is a guy who tries too hard to be agreeable. I feel like he coddles the players so much so that when things go wrong, they simply don't believe that it's their fault. It must be something else - a phantom injury, bad luck, or lack of fan energy in Ludwick's case. Whether it's Dusty justifying some ridiculous lineup move, Bruce calling out the fans on Twitter, BP erupting at a reporter, Latos blaming a BS (or at least I think it's BS) injury for subpar play, or Ludwick calling out fan energy, none of these clowns will admit that they screwed up. Fans are lucky - they don't have to be accountable. Part of what comes with the obscene MLB paycheck is accountability. Accountability to your teammates, accountability to the media, accountability to the fans. So don't blame fans, especially when those same fans set a ballpark record for single season attendance the day you call them out. Blame yourself for single-handedly leaving 10 runners on base IN ONE GAME, Ryan Ludwick. Blame yourself for getting outmanaged by a guy who's got nothing to win for, Dusty Baker. Blame yourself for a pedestrian OBP, Brandon Phillips. Blame yourself for a horrible September, Mat Latos. No accountability...

Beggs

Nipples of a God
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hehe yeah sorry for the barbershop language.

What he said just drives me insane. And the thing that really frustrates me is making excuses. What it boils down to is Ludwick making excuses for the team's uninspired play against the Mets. He's shifting the blame from where it should be to a cop out: fan energy. There's no accountability. That's something I've noticed in the Dusty Baker era Reds. There really isn't much accountability for underachievement. Dusty, God bless him, is a guy who tries too hard to be agreeable. I feel like he coddles the players so much so that when things go wrong, they simply don't believe that it's their fault. It must be something else - a phantom injury, bad luck, or lack of fan energy in Ludwick's case. Whether it's Dusty justifying some ridiculous lineup move, Bruce calling out the fans on Twitter, BP erupting at a reporter, Latos blaming a BS (or at least I think it's BS) injury for subpar play, or Ludwick calling out fan energy, none of these clowns will admit that they screwed up. Fans are lucky - they don't have to be accountable. Part of what comes with the obscene MLB paycheck is accountability. Accountability to your teammates, accountability to the media, accountability to the fans. So don't blame fans, especially when those same fans set a ballpark record for single season attendance the day you call them out. Blame yourself for single-handedly leaving 10 runners on base IN ONE GAME, Ryan Ludwick. Blame yourself for getting outmanaged by a guy who's got nothing to win for, Dusty Baker. Blame yourself for a pedestrian OBP, Brandon Phillips. Blame yourself for a horrible September, Mat Latos. No accountability...

You know why the players have no accountability? "Fans" like you. No matter who did what, good or bad, its blame Dusty, or thank god Dusty didn't get in the way of their success. Player can't get a bunt down? Dustys fault. Only 1 run scored while getting 17 hits? Dustys fault. Someone makes a simple base-running mistake? Obviously Dusty. Why should the players ever feel bad about their mistakes when no one in Cincinnati will call them out on it? It's blame Dusty 24/7 for every minor detail that didn't go 100% correct.

Want to know why the fans have no energy? "Fans" like you. People like you are a cancer to this team. How in the world can a casual fan ever get excited when all he ever hears from the people who are supposed to support the team is crying, whining, bitching, blaming, and moaning. You never see anything from Reds "fans" when a player has a crazy game, or a player who comes in and brings energy to the crowd. Billy Hamilton comes in and the only thing anyone here has to say is "Yea he's good, but Dusty is going to ruin him" or "Dusty will never play him" or "It doesnt matter what Hamilton does, Dusty find a way for us to lose". You drive away fans. You guys do nothing positive for this team, and Ludwick was spot on talking about you guys. We got rid of the cancer in the clubhouse when we removed Dunn and Hamilton, but I'm afraid the cancer spread into the stands. The only cure is for you assholes to start rooting for the cardinals, where this whining and negative circle jerk is welcomed.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta be careful what you ask for...sometimes you get it.

It's a team game, and every member of the team- players and staff are responsible.

Ludwick was off base. Pun intended. I blame Dusty for not attempting a bunt, or doing it at the wrong time, but players for not getting it down. Blame is worthless without resolution. Who's not seen the lifeless attitude on the team ? Attendance is at a record for GABP this year. I'd say that sums up who's letting who down.

Dusty is mediocre fundamentally, and low energy. Many players are too. Maybe coincidence, or possibly a contagious disease. The bottom line is, fans have expectations for better than the Reds have played. I'd like to believe players would be more accountable, and so would Dusty. Seems like making weak excuses is easier than winning against bad teams- and that doesn't sound like resolution to me.

Positive- the Reds have an opportunity to resolve. They just have to win. I'm betting fans show up, but not so sure this team will. I hope so.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I though Ludwick was supposed to be a positive clubhouse influence. Maybe that's only when the Reds are winning, and he's in the lineup every day. If memory serves me, Ludwick hit in the low .200s for a long time last year, and injury allowed Dusty to play him a lot more, and he responded well for the middle months. Is he bitter because his injury allowed Hamilton a chance late ? He's hitting 4th based on 3 months last year, but he hasn't exactly made the most of his opportunity. Fans are charged when Hamilton is in the game, not so much Ludwick. Those things are grating on Ludwick. IMO, it was a mistake to give him a 2 year deal, and he is unlikely to earn the $9M owed next year. He should be thankful and take his lumps instead of blaming a record attendance crowd. This team hasn't walked the walk. They've failed at easy opportunities against some of the worst teams in MLB, when they could have won the division otherwise. Fans are enthused when they are inspired. We aren't.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without hearing how the question was phrased, I am not as inclined to come down on Ludwick, per-se, on this. I suppose part of what he is saying is a continuation of the frustration over not being able to beat the Mets. The automatic response to bad play is lack of infused energy. It's what players believe. They are rarely in the seats to watch themselves play.

There's not much connection to what he said and what the fans see on the field, however. Luddy may have actually been directing his rage at the radio booth, or he may have been in an argument with a teammate. Who was interviewing him and what was said before or after this 30-second video clip?

Either way, I think the issues with Dusty are deeper than just ripping him for his in-game decisions or his lineups or his pitching history, all of which is misguided. Dusty's philosophy for this team was stale two years ago and it's out of touch with the roster he has. How I know that: Because this team gets great pitching and lethargic, inert offense -- 3 days a week. Runners jog to first base on ground outs, they miss cutoff men, they get confused on the bases ... not often, but way too often for teams that want to win a World Series.

Price gets credit for building a pitching staff.
Jacoby gets a pass when the hitters fail.
They say a hitting coach can't fix guys at this level. Evidently, though, a pitching coach CAN.
I read that Price doesn't listen to Dusty; therefore, the process works.
I read that Jacoby only does what Dusty wants; therefore, the process fails.

So let's get this all straight. If Dusty can't manage the pitching, which is very good, but he can manage the hitting, which can score 5 runs in 28 innings against a team that is built on AAA prospects, then what?

As for Ludwick, his on-field performance has been dismal. He probably ought to rephrase his complaints.

The fans pay the price for tickets. They were expecting something other than a 1-0 defeat. I think, with the talent that was amassed by the front office with the EXPECTATIONS of winning, that was a bitter pill. I stop short of blaming fans for observing this. We ain't stupid. It's not the 90 this team has won, it's the last one that they lost. It will always be that way.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know why the players have no accountability? "Fans" like you. No matter who did what, good or bad, its blame Dusty, or thank god Dusty didn't get in the way of their success. Player can't get a bunt down? Dustys fault. Only 1 run scored while getting 17 hits? Dustys fault. Someone makes a simple base-running mistake? Obviously Dusty. Why should the players ever feel bad about their mistakes when no one in Cincinnati will call them out on it? It's blame Dusty 24/7 for every minor detail that didn't go 100% correct.

Want to know why the fans have no energy? "Fans" like you. People like you are a cancer to this team. How in the world can a casual fan ever get excited when all he ever hears from the people who are supposed to support the team is crying, whining, bitching, blaming, and moaning. You never see anything from Reds "fans" when a player has a crazy game, or a player who comes in and brings energy to the crowd. Billy Hamilton comes in and the only thing anyone here has to say is "Yea he's good, but Dusty is going to ruin him" or "Dusty will never play him" or "It doesnt matter what Hamilton does, Dusty find a way for us to lose". You drive away fans. You guys do nothing positive for this team, and Ludwick was spot on talking about you guys. We got rid of the cancer in the clubhouse when we removed Dunn and Hamilton, but I'm afraid the cancer spread into the stands. The only cure is for you assholes to start rooting for the cardinals, where this whining and negative circle jerk is welcomed.

This post is so far off-base that I hesitate even responding. For you to group me in a category of "fans" is ignorant, insulting, and ill-informed. Just because I go off on Ryan Ludwick for assigning blame to people who have absolutely no responsibility for what happens on the field, you somehow think that I blame Dusty for everything? I'm not sure I see the correlation there. Yeah, I'll blame Dusty for something from time to time, but I don't spend my entire life pointing out every flaw he has. That's been beaten to death; I'll only point out clear examples where he screwed up. I mentioned a bunch of other players who have deflected criticism and I said that the only person they have to blame is themselves. I just think it would be refreshing for someone on the Reds to admit to a lack of energy, lack of production, or lack of focus. Nobody does, and it's disappointing. I've been a Reds fan for as long as I can remember. I will defend Reds fans especially in the face of BS criticism like what Ryan Ludwick said. I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me, but for you to question whether I'm a true Reds fan or not? F*** off, you self-righteous sack of s*** (there, I bleeped it out this time...)

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The only cure is for you assholes to start rooting for the cardinals, where this whining and negative circle jerk is welcomed."

Ok. Redsfan03 for the record--I don't consider you an asshole. Your opinion has merit and is respected. I find it very amusing that a flailing Ludwick would blame the fans after leaving 10 men on base in one game.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, guys that stick microphones in frustrated players faces 20 minutes after the game are hunting with surprise on their side. On the other hand, it's not Ludwick's rookie year.

Taken out of context is a poor excuse, but aren't all excuses poor ?

I'd like to see resolution. Fans can't do that.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tubbs I have always respected your opinion. But accusing people for not supporting this lame ass lackluster team, because most of us feel they are better than what they have played, is asinine. This team under Dusty has not played up to it's potential, and at times has played less than MLB caliber baseball. I expect more for my dollar.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you expect to see Ludwick batting 2nd? How stupid is that with BH on the bench? If you can rationalize that move, please let me know. More Dustmop Lineup follies.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans booing Ludwick after his K.

Maybe taking his advice to get fired up.

Id eat his contract and trade him to the Marlins for a Rosin bag and a supplemental draft pick in 2390.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More boos for Spudwick after the DP ball. He's not liking it much.

What happened to the happy Ludwick they signed to that ridiculous 2 yr deal ? Seems he's hot s hardon for Reds fans all the sudden...and we notice. That's positive feedback, right ?

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classic case of getting what you ask for....

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Graves got the same treatment after sumilarly shootibg iff his mouth while stinking himself...until he finally gave the crowd the middle finger after getting booed off the mound- and was never back in a Reds uni. They DFA him that night.

If Ludwick's not careful, he's gonna ruin that Reds clubhouse "chemistry"he cashed in on last year, and find his azz back on a dregs team pining. Griffey Jr. had a HOF career before he was a Red, and people didnt love him loafing and crying about fans, I doubt they'll put up with a side note like Ludwick.