• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have, or did have, a QB who sit the bench, worked hard and developed, and got his chance in his senior year; undrafted but awaiting try outs for NFL teams. You know, the one who sent USC down with a Hail Mary? Just waited his chance and made the most of it. He will make the NFL, I bet, just like Matt Cassell. Don't these true to life stories just bring tears to your eyes?

I have a ton of respect for that kid and I hope he does make it to the NFL. He honored his commitment, worked hard, stayed ready and like you said, made the most of his chance when it came. I respect that a whole lot more than some kid who quit and went looking for an easier path.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's total bullshit. Doing what they believe is best for them may be selfish but is exactly what they are all doing when considering offers and their chances. You and T12, from your perch as elite teams, with recruits lined up from Maine to California, would like it a moral issue but it is just everyday football with every recruit doing what is best for them and every coach scratching for their share. How much is a Notre Dames degree worth in dollars to those third and fourth stringers?

Whether a team is elite or not, has nothing to do with it. It's about sticking to a commitment and working hard to get better instead of looking for the easy way out.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's total bullshit.
Sure. Can you give me any examples in life where it is better in terms of the big picture for an individual to be more interested in the credit he or she receives for his or her contributions than it is to be interested in making sure those contributions are actually of value?

Just because a lot of people are selfish, does not mean that being selfish is a good course of action in the long run. John Nash had a thing or two to say on that topic.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether a team is elite or not, has nothing to do with it. It's about sticking to a commitment and working hard to get better instead of looking for the easy way out.
I think it is about making a contribution to a team effort. The vast majority of college football players (or people in general) will never be super stars. But if they can learn how to make contributions that benefit the team on which they play or work, they can go far in life. That's the lesson that will forever be missed by a dumbass like Manziel.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is about making a contribution to a team effort. The vast majority of college football players (or people in general) will never be super stars. But if they can learn how to make contributions that benefit the team on which they play or work, they can go far in life. That's the lesson that will forever be missed by a dumbass like Manziel.

Agree.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I also a agree with this. No one ever improved themselves by seeking the path of least resistance. People improves themselves by seeking challenges that force them to push back the forefronts of their capabilities.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think this pretty much confirms that Jeff Tedford will be joining the Husky football program as a coach/consultant after the camp season is over this summer. Man looks classy in his new W duds.

ChzutEPUUAAdQH5.jpg

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tedford brought an amazing level of success to Cal, especially their offense. Pass and Run. They got it done both ways and put up sick numbers. He's known as a total QB whisperer.
The resume of QBs he developed for the college game and those that went to the pros is damn impressive.

The Huskys aren't in big need for a stud QB for this class, but next year, watch the potential of recruits UW will land at QB with Tedford involved cause they'll be eyeing that sweet spot window to be Brownings replacement.

:suds:

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a guy transfers out because he lost out on being the starting QB, it's fairly similar to someone looking for a new job because he didn't get a promotion. I don't have a problem with it, especially if he's going to run out of eligibility the same year or before the person he lost out to. It's one thing to say, "Hey, sit on the bench, back our guy up, be ready to play and when you're a junior or senior you'll have the chance to compete for the role again."

It's another to just accept that the only way you're ever going to accomplish what you set out for is if the guy in front of you fails or gets hurt. It's situational to some degree, but I have no problem with a junior QB transferring because he lost to a sophomore. If that makes him selfish, then the world is so full of selfish people that it shouldn't be considered a negative quality and instead just the way it is.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think time has proved this kid (Manzel) is selfish among other things.
Yes, among other things, Johnny Football himself, a football hero, Heisman winner, selfish is what he is but don't tell me the whole recruiting process is anything else for anyone else. Still a bad example. But both he and MM were committed to the Ducks at one time. Doesn't make much sense that one super talent would sit the bench or play part time in order to be "selfless". Very same issue faced by many less well known recruits. Yes, selfish certainly, but common and accepted practice in the real world.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I also a agree with this. No one ever improved themselves by seeking the path of least resistance. People improves themselves by seeking challenges that force them to push back the forefronts of their capabilities.[/QUO
Sure. Can you give me any examples in life where it is better in terms of the big picture for an individual to be more interested in the credit he or she receives for his or her contributions than it is to be interested in making sure those contributions are actually of value?
Just because a lot of people are selfish, does not mean that being selfish is a good course of action in the long run. John Nash had a thing or two to say on that topic.

"Examples in life in terms of the big picture?" No, I can't. You win!

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a guy transfers out because he lost out on being the starting QB, it's fairly similar to someone looking for a new job because he didn't get a promotion. I don't have a problem with it, especially if he's going to run out of eligibility the same year or before the person he lost out to. It's one thing to say, "Hey, sit on the bench, back our guy up, be ready to play and when you're a junior or senior you'll have the chance to compete for the role again."

It's another to just accept that the only way you're ever going to accomplish what you set out for is if the guy in front of you fails or gets hurt. It's situational to some degree, but I have no problem with a junior QB transferring because he lost to a sophomore. If that makes him selfish, then the world is so full of selfish people that it shouldn't be considered a negative quality and instead just the way it is.
Thats all well and good but the thing is a bunch of QBs commited to the Ducks knowing Mariota was there. And most left before there was any real competition of the job and no one left was good enough or deleloped enough to take the starting job. So different situation than what youre talking about. These guys bailed with no big shot alreally having the job.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's becoming more common, QBs, even many who were highly ranked in HS, who don't end up immediately getting the job as freshman or sophomores, get vocal about it, and proceed to transfer out at the first opportunity, instead of showing the patience and character to stick with their commitment.

I understand the argument about just wanting to get more playing opportunities, but many of them end up transferring to schools with more potential to start, and they still don't end up doing squat and never heard from again. Why? Because they end up not having what it takes to play at the next level, narci personalities, or don't develop themselves properly.

Many of them should of stayed where they are because the coaching they were getting and the quality of the diploma they could earn was vastly superior. But they couldn't get their egos in check or their helicopter sports parents pushed them to do it.

Either way, many of them can't stop shooting themselves in the foot every chance they get.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats all well and good but the thing is a bunch of QBs commited to the Ducks knowing Mariota was there. And most left before there was any real competition of the job and no one left was good enough or deleloped enough to take the starting job. So different situation than what youre talking about. These guys bailed with no big shot alreally having the job.

But then, one top ten QB recruit just decommited from the Ducks and Mariota is not even there anymore, so whats the point?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then, one top ten QB recruit just decommited from the Ducks and Mariota is not even there anymore, so whats the point?

Well, that goes back to my (and others) original point that started all this hubbub. There's something wrong with the QB spot at Oregon. Either the kids aren't getting developed or they weren't any good to start with or they transferred before there was any real competition. The result is Oregon for the second straight year might start a QB who they picked up from a lower division program rather than hand the keys over to one of the QBs they recruited. Which might be scaring off the really talented ones turning it into a vicious cycle. Mariota started for three years he's been gone for two (this season makes it two) and in that time they haven't gotten one player ready to at least start a game?
But Duck fan says nothing to see here.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow i take the weekend off and i come back to the same exact thing.
Lockie did start games and Jonsen could very well be the starter.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow i take the weekend off and i come back to the same exact thing.
Lockie did start games and Jonsen could very well be the starter.

You mean when the starter was hurt. But not developed enough to take over now right?
Hopefully Jonsen does get the call. If the rental gets the job it may do some serious damage even if he's the better of the two right now.
You took the weekend off and USC won a Championship. lol.
Oh and it's still Sunday so technically you only took Saturday off (I'm taking your word that you didn't post yesterday.lol)

Last edited:

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tedford brought an amazing level of success to Cal, especially their offense. Pass and Run. They got it done both ways and put up sick numbers. He's known as a total QB whisperer.
The resume of QBs he developed for the college game and those that went to the pros is damn impressive.

The Huskys aren't in big need for a stud QB for this class, but next year, watch the potential of recruits UW will land at QB with Tedford involved cause they'll be eyeing that sweet spot window to be Brownings replacement.

:suds:
Careful with the Tedford love. He also destroyed CAL's APR and grad rates. When he left, CAL was graduating only 30% of their players in 6 years. Huskies may hate Willingham, but he did pull your team APR from DFL to almost tops in the PAC.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean when the starter was hurt. But not developed enough to take over now right?
Hopefully Jonsen does get the call. If the rental gets the job it may do some serious damage even if he's the better of the two right now.
You took the weekend off and USC won a Championship. lol.
Oh and it's still Sunday so technically you only took Saturday off (I'm taking your word that you didn't post yesterday.lol)
still dont feel like there is a problem if Prukop wis the job.
posted early friday then late sunday and that was it. basically took the weekend off.

Status
Not open for further replies.