• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The PAC12 THREAD v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with pretty much all of this. Only question that I have is how do we know Petersen is better than Sark in coaching? Petersen did a great job at Boise, but we don't know how he will respond to coaching against PAC 12 level talent and PAC 12 level coaching on a weekly basis.

My guess is that he will do just fine, but until he does, we can't say for sure how good he is.
Petersen has a lot more experience as a HC. He is past the trial and error part and has proven he can build a coaching staff and recruit kids that fit his systems.

Sark is still finding his way. He may be better than he was in year 1, but he isn't a finished product yet.

The question about Petersen's ability to win at the major college level isn't about his coaching ability. There are other factors as stated above. Can the level of talent he now has access to use his same schemes and find success with it? Those kinds of questions aren't about what kind of coach he is. If he can't do things the same way how will he adjust to it and can he adapt? Those will come in time.

Sark too now is a different coach at a different institution with different kids and different expectations.

Not only isn't he a finished product yet, but now the job has changed entirely while he is trying to find his way.
:agree: But I couldn't resist the opportunity to rustle OD's jimmies. As for the 25, I can't seem to find a consistent answer on that. I have heard that teams can go over the 25 limit if they need to in order to get to 85 and we here all of the time about SEC teams signing over the 25 schollie limit.

On the other hand, why have the 25 schollie limit if the true cap is 85? :noidea:
I never understood the 25/85 thing. Wonder how long that lasts if the major conferences to break away. I have a felling that whole setup will change.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know SEC teams go over 25, but isn't that controversial when they do so? I seem to recall lots of bitching about it when it happens.

I thought they faced penalties if they stayed over that at the cut off date, but again I'm no expert on that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen has a lot more experience as a HC. He is past the trial and error part and has proven he can build a coaching staff and recruit kids that fit his systems.

Sark is still finding his way. He may be better than he was in year 1, but he isn't a finished product yet.

The question about Petersen's ability to win at the major college level isn't about his coaching ability. There are other factors as stated above. Can the level of talent he now has access to use his same schemes and find success with it? Those kinds of questions aren't about what kind of coach he is. If he can't do things the same way how will he adjust to it and can he adapt? Those will come in time.

Sark too now is a different coach at a different institution with different kids and different expectations.

Not only isn't he a finished product yet, but now the job has changed entirely while he is trying to find his way.

:agree: Good points.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know SEC teams go over 25, but isn't that controversial when they do so? I seem to recall lots of bitching about it when it happens.

I thought they faced penalties if they stayed over that at the cut off date, but again I'm no expert on that.

Typically what they do when they oversign is some other kids loses their schollies and/or get stashed at a JC someplace. People mainly bitch about the kids that lose their schollies.

It is technically legal, if not necessarily moral and as you have pointed out before, legal and moral aren't always the same thing.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sark is not a bad coach. He recruits well. He's a fantastic O coordinator. He walked into a difficult situation at UW with a rebuild from scratch. I think the rebuild took to long, but a lot of that had to do with him being a first time head coach. He's probably learned a lot from those rookie mistakes and USC will benefit from that.

The last two years had a lot more positives and than negatives once he cleared out house on the D side of the coaching, and brought in Wilcox, the team really started to look like a real balanced team that could play PAC O and D.

I think his main dig is that his teams play too undisciplined on the field. Too many stupid penalties that can make the difference between a W and L. It's possible given the level of talent USC will have on it's roster that it will be enough to overcome Sark's laid back approach.

But from out of the gate during the 2014 spring practices, all the UW players were mentioning how different practices where with Petersens crew. He had them running fundamental drills over and over again that Sark wouldn't incorporate into their practices.

I also think Sark has a tendency to over complicate the offense vs. the talent level and capabilities of the roster. That also triggered dumb penalties and put extra weight on Price's shoulders that he wasn't able to handle.

Cooler heads prevailed with most Husky fans over Sark's exit the way it happened as we've moved through 2014. Especially with the fact we landed Petersen. Many believe in the longterm we got the better end of the deal. But Petersen still has plenty to prove from now on.

USC got the kind of coach that's the best fit for their culture.
UW got the kind of coach that's the best fit for their culture.

It all worked out pretty well.

The floodgates open for recruiting with USC from now on. The monkey is off their backs. I'm sure Sark will be landing Top10 classes. The USC recruiting advantage is what it is. But other PAC schools have rolled out some fabulous facilities upgrades during USC's sanctions and the talent level at coaching in this conference is at an all time high. UW, Oregon, UCLA, Stanford,...they will all be bringing in high quality classes as well each year. Both Zona schools are recruiting much better than the previous coaches did.

USC's facing a very different PAC post sanctions than it did before them.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivals Up to date PAC recruiting rankings

1 USC
2 Oregon
3 Arizona
4 UCLA
5 ASU
6 WSU
7 Stanford
8 Cal
9 Washington
10 Utah
11 Oregon State
12 Colorado

Last edited by a moderator:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sark is not a bad coach. He recruits well. He's a fantastic O coordinator. He walked into a difficult situation at UW with a rebuild from scratch. I think the rebuild took to long, but a lot of that had to do with him being a first time head coach. He's probably learned a lot from those rookie mistakes and USC will benefit from that.

The last two years had a lot more positives and than negatives once he cleared out house on the D side of the coaching, and brought in Wilcox, the team really started to look like a real balanced team that could play PAC O and D.

I think his main dig is that his teams play too undisciplined on the field. Too many stupid penalties that can make the difference between a W and L. It's possible given the level of talent USC will have on it's roster that it will be enough to overcome Sark's laid back approach.

But from out of the gate during the 2014 spring practices, all the UW players were mentioning how different practices where with Petersens crew. He had them running fundamental drills over and over again that Sark wouldn't incorporate into their practices.

I also think Sark has a tendency to over complicate the offense vs. the talent level and capabilities of the roster. That also triggered dumb penalties and put extra weight on Price's shoulders that he wasn't able to handle.

Cooler heads prevailed with most Husky fans over Sark's exit the way it happened as we've moved through 2014. Especially with the fact we landed Petersen. Many believe in the longterm we got the better end of the deal. But Petersen still has plenty to prove from now on.

USC got the kind of coach that's the best fit for their culture.
UW got the kind of coach that's the best fit for their culture.

It all worked out pretty well.

The floodgates open for recruiting with USC from now on. The monkey is off their backs. I'm sure Sark will be landing Top10 classes. The USC recruiting advantage is what it is. But other PAC schools have rolled out some fabulous facilities upgrades during USC's sanctions and the talent level at coaching in this conference is at an all time high. UW, Oregon, UCLA, Stanford,...they will all be bringing in high quality classes as well each year. Both Zona schools are recruiting much better than the previous coaches did.

USC's facing a very different PAC post sanctions than it did before them.

Even with the sanctions USC was the top PAC recruiter in 2014 , #2 in 2013, #2 in 2012, #1 in 2011. The thing is, other schools took turns being in the top 5 . USC was constantly in the top 2 with sometimes half the class size. So once the shackles are off USC will probably stay at the op of the PAC and be in the top 5 nationally and if other teams in the PAC keep taking turns getting the second third and fourth it's good for the overall talent level. Oregon and washington may get some recruits away from some schools because of their shiny new facilities but it wont affect USCs recruiting much.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 USC
2 Oregon
3 Arizona
4 UCLA
5 ASU
6 WSU
7 Stanford
8 Cal
9 Washington
10 Utah
11 Oregon State
12 Colorado

Problem with those rankings as it relates to players. It doesn't show that any of Leach's classes actually helps any needs. What good is an average class if it doesn't address any needs. Sweet we have depth for a 10 receiver rotation but we have no guys for any defensive line rotation or any plays inside the ten.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 USC
2 Oregon
3 Arizona
4 UCLA
5 ASU
6 WSU
7 Stanford
8 Cal
9 Washington
10 Utah
11 Oregon State
12 Colorado

Stanford has done an amazing job staying a contender nationally for the past 3-4 years with the classes they get . Oregon too.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with those rankings as it relates to players. It doesn't show that any of Leach's classes actually helps any needs. What good is an average class if it doesn't address any needs. Sweet we have depth for a 10 receiver rotation but we have no guys for any defensive line rotation or any plays inside the ten.

It's also early to have accurate conf based recruit class rankings because as an example, the Zona schools are already in double digits with the amount of players they have verbals from, while most other PAC schools have less than 10 players committed. Zona will not end up #3 by January. November is when the picture starts getting clearer on what kind of class the schools are going to have. But in the meantime, it is important right now to be landing those QBs and critical gets at positions that need depth.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friend of mine sent me this of Coach Sark, number 1 BSer in the Pac-12:

Skip to 1:00 in. He starts talking about what a special place the University Washington is and why he took this job and discusses how incredible the school is. He talks about how when he was OC at USC he made a top 5 list of jobs in America he would take if he had the opportunity and how UW was at the top of that list. He also states that UW was the job he always wanted.

Don't kid yourself, if Sark hears the NFL calling he will leave USC faster than you can say "No integrity"

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona under Rich Rod seems to treat it like a race. Get a bunch of guys who'll say yes early, then try to hold on.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coach Sark Speech - 2010 UW Alpha Delta Phi - Coach Sark Event - YouTube

Skip to 1:00 in. He starts talking about what a special place the University Washington is and why he took this job and discusses how incredible the school is. He talks about how when he was OC at USC he made a top 5 list of jobs in America he would take if he had the opportunity and how UW was at the top of that list. He also states that UW was the job he always wanted.

Don't kid yourself, if Sark hears the NFL calling he will leave USC faster than you can say "No integrity"

A few months ago, I worked on this technology rollout project to make some extra money. One of the team had worked at the university. He says Sark's got an increasing problem with the sauce and there was multiple incidents that involved him off campus where he was smashed and staff had to be called in to help.

I was pretty surprised to hear this as his image has been fairly clean during his tenure here. I've never heard word of this before. Could be exaggerated, but there could be the truth as well.

But one thing that has been noticeable is the weight gain the guy has sported the past couple years. Heavy boozing would do that. Especially when you hit your 40s.

He's all yours USC. :drink:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coach Sark Speech - 2010 UW Alpha Delta Phi - Coach Sark Event - YouTube

Name me a top coach who hasn't moved around ( saban,Meyer, B Kelly, Stoops)? They all leave jobs for more money or more power . Hell even Peterson left Boise for Washington. USC loses coaches to the NFL if they are good (Robinson- Pete). They get fired if they suck.They don't lose head coaches to other colleges. It's just the way it is. So yeah, if he does well he might leave some day. But it wont be to a rival school.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the recruiting rankings should be taken for what they are at this point. Simply verbals.

Also, most of these sites give points per recruit. Teams like Boston College are in the top 20 simply because of quantity. 23 verbals already. So once the other schools start getting their numbers up it will even out. Here on the west coast for the most part, our schools aren't in a rush to get 20+ vebs 8 months before LOI day.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford has done an amazing job staying a contender nationally for the past 3-4 years with the classes they get . Oregon too.

Oregon through the past decade always got decent classes. Nothing to write home about.

The program started taking strides with recruitment of players that fit a certain football philosophy and style.

Now with the new facilities and more so a handful of years in a row being a bcs caliber team, annual threat to win the PAC, and a national stage NC contender, the Ducks have started landing some big time recruits like never before. Oregon is getting players consistently now that they never would have gotten before.

A top 20 class for the Ducks is very big. From there it is all about figuring out how to put themselves on an equal playing field with the perrenial top 10 teams and competing with them by scheming.

An ever evolving process for sure for a team with Oregon's history or like y'all like to say lack thereof.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few months ago, I worked on this technology rollout project to make some extra money. One of the team had worked at the university. He says Sark's got an increasing problem with the sauce and there was multiple incidents that involved him off campus where he was smashed and staff had to be called in to help.

I was pretty surprised to hear this as his image has been fairly clean during his tenure here. I've never heard word of this before. Could be exaggerated, but there could be the truth as well.

But one thing that has been noticeable is the weight gain the guy has sported the past couple years. Heavy boozing would do that. Especially when you hit your 40s.

He's all yours USC. :drink:
Wait, I thought he was LDS?

Must be ex communicated eh?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lolz @ the "hearsay" garbage about Sark's sauce problem...I wouldn't buy it unless it all happened at a Starbucks, then perhaps I would.

As for State's low recruit ranking...Riley has always done more with less. I take that with a grain-o-salt as well.

IF Coach Pete has already etched his lore at BS and will translate that success into instant ones at Washington, let's remember how he did it first. Pete HAD great QBs and RBs WITH guys at WR as well. Even Huskie guys would have to say these positions have rotated out with new unknowns coming in. All this w/o even addresses the D-side of the ball.

I'll be the first to say my team last year had a D that took all year to figure out while ANY opp team seemed to have their way with the Beavers. All that while the Beav O piled up yardage and points with games coming down to the wire usually. Cept for the Huskie game of course, we "no-showed" on that debacle for sure.

Not to say the Huskie are like my team, but missing pieces to the overall puzzle are just as important up Norte as they are in lil' ol Corvallis.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC fans calling Sark a top coach is hilarious.

I was talking to a washington fan who said he would jump to the NFL. I would think if he's getting noticed by the NFL he would have to be doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.