• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait..what? :twitch:

Cal has reportedly fired head coach Sonny Dykes after four seasons in Berkeley, right before the recruiting home stretch of the 2017 cycle. Jake Spavital will serve as interim head coach.

"Primarily, we want what's best for our student-athletes and have a head coach in place who is fully committed to our program and our university," AD Mike Williams said. "I understand that the timing may not be ideal – it rarely is. We did not want to make this decision until we were ready and did so for the health of our football program and department. Our objective is long-term financial sustainability for our department. In order to do this, we understand that investing in football is critical. We believe that this change will reinvigorate the program, stimulate lagging ticket sales and renewals, and energize our donor base."

Dykes had been rumored to be pursuing several jobs over the last two offseasons, and several sources have said the relationship between Dykes and the Athletic Department was strained. Communication with Cal regarding interviewing for the Baylor and Missouri jobs, this year and last, was a major issue, said an Athletic Department source, who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the situation. Another issue? Dykes's lack of action on hiring a new defensive coordinator, or addressing the issue of Kaufman's performance immediately after the season, the source said.

"We've been taking hits from the donor community about that," said the source, in reference to defensive coordinator issue. "It wasn't one incident. The Baylor thing, though, really ratcheted it up. He was non-committal. He did not, one time, during that process say that he was still the coach at Cal."

Given Cal's budget woes, the donor community will have to step up for a new head coach. Offensive coordinator Jake Spavital will serve a interim head coach, and will be a candidate to replace Dykes, an Athletic Department source told BearTerritory.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Cal has academic requirements, expectations for off-field behavior, and wouldn't set him up with a slush fund to buy players.

That's three strikes right there for St. Kelly.
Whatever - Your obsession with Oregon shines again. You are reaching as usual. Show where Chip Kelly teams led the conference, the nation or even the Pacific Northwest teams in arrests? It was nothing like Rick Neuheisel.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal doesn't have the money to pay a Chip Kelly...they need to realize it's Cal, be happy someone wants your coach.
They don't have to have money. The Eagles and 49ers are still going to be paying him.:lol:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have to have money. The Eagles and 49ers are still going to be paying him.:lol:

Touche, but noone wanted to pay Tyrone Willingham peanuts while he was collecting checks from Notre Dame and UW.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touche, but noone wanted to pay Tyrone Willingham peanuts while he was collecting checks from Notre Dame and UW.
Yes, but Chip has "NFL experience." :dhd:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I really don't get is all of the people tweeting at recruits after they commit and badmouthing a school, or their decision. They are just fucking kids, leave them alone.

That shit makes me sick. Kid makes arguably the biggest decision he will ever make and certainly the biggest decision he has made up to that point in his life, and moron's want to give him shit about it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever - Your obsession with Oregon shines again. You are reaching as usual. Show where Chip Kelly teams led the conference, the nation or even the Pacific Northwest teams in arrests? It was nothing like Rick Neuheisel.

And all the shit that Ducks fans have constantly spewed at Huskies prior to this season isn't an obsession?:noidea:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly could find a home in Cal. They aren't that high on their football in general and he's probably going to be able to fly low away from the media and boosters as long as he produces and doesn't say/do things to embarrass the university.

But would he want that school?

He can write his own ticket and wait until the next big programs have issues next season.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly could find a home in Cal. They aren't that high on their football in general and he's probably going to be able to fly low away from the media and boosters as long as he produces and doesn't say/do things to embarrass the university.

He can write his own ticket and wait until the next big programs have issues next season.

The terms of those NFL and college buyouts usually state that if the individual returns to work, they may not be entitled to the full payout.
I heard he was not only collecting his pay for the 9ers this year, but was still collecting a partial payout from the Eagles. Unreal.

Kelly will most likely sit back, collect a kings ransom in 2017 for doing nothing, and possibly end up back in the college game in some capacity next year if the right job comes along.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The terms of those NFL and college buyouts usually state that if the individual returns to work, they may not be entitled to the full payout.
I heard he was not only collecting his pay for the 9ers this year, but was still collecting a partial payout from the Eagles. Unreal.

Kelly will most likely sit back, collect a kings ransom in 2017 for doing nothing, and possibly end up back in the college game in some capacity next year if the right job comes along.

You mean Oregon after they fire Taggart for only going 7-5? did I do that right OD?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's where I think Cal would be foolish for hiring in the first place.

They fire Dykes for always having one foot out the door, and not addressing a solid hire for the DC position.
What makes them think Chipper would be willing to put his roots down in Berkeley?

Granted his NFL days are over, ( maybe an OC) but still his ego wont let him go there. So he's stuck with the college level.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean Oregon after they fire Taggart for only going 7-5? did I do that right OD?
That I could see happening. If you're Chip why rush , you're still getting paid. If Taggart doesn't impress then Oregon has someone waiting and if you're Chip it's the only place that you've had success so it's a place you can rebuild your reputation. To me he's damaged goods right now. No elite school would take him right now I think.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That I could see happening. If you're Chip why rush , you're still getting paid. If Taggart doesn't impress then Oregon has someone waiting and if you're Chip it's the only place that you've had success so it's a place you can rebuild your reputation. To me he's damaged goods right now. No elite school would take him right now I think.

Not going to happen. That ship has sailed. Taggart isn't getting fired after one year, especially if the Ducks go 7-5.