• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where uncle money bucks comes in. Oregon will be on sanctions before the end of the decade.

Phil Knight is unabashedly trying to buy a championship for Oregon. He's 76, worth $20 billion, and he wants to see them win before he dies. It does seem unfair that a billionaire is giving one school's athletic department carte blanche with his money; however, I haven't read anything anywhere that says it's illegal or against NCAA rules. If it were, you would think that the NCAA would've put a stop to it by now.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The only thing proven on the field yesterday was Ohio State was clearly the better team on that day. Everything else people want to pile onto that is speculation."

Isn't that the case in every game on a given day? I think you hit it right earlier, the difference: Urban Meyer. He did it at Florida, now he's done it at tOSU. Took the same talent to do what did do in Utah.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greetings PAC 12rs,

As most of you know I am not very active after on these boards after CFB, so I will speak with most of you about the end of next summer. What a great season, and while I would have loved a win last night, we were clearly beat by the better team,no excuses at all.

Good luck to all of you, god bless, and take care. I will still check in from time to time. For those of you that know me, y'all have my number, hit me up if you want to get a drink.

Peace out

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Knight is unabashedly trying to buy a championship for Oregon. He's 76, worth $20 billion, and he wants to see them win before he dies. It does seem unfair that a billionaire is giving one school's athletic department carte blanche with his money; however, I haven't read anything anywhere that says it's illegal or against NCAA rules. If it were, you would think that the NCAA would've put a stop to it by now.

T boone pickens did the same thing for oklahoma state. There are others that have dumped buckets of cash into their schools athletic programs. There is nothing legally wrong with it. Every school has boosters and donors.

I think most just point it out because they are paying for wins instead of earning their way there. Might be legal, but it's also fair game for others to throw stones at.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not to troll Oregon Fans but their scheme has proven it will not win a NC.

It's no secret, run the ball and stop the run, that's how you win games. Oregon's D knew it was coming, was ready for it, and still couldn't stop it. And, when OSU did throw, they dropped into zone too much and got picked apart. On offense the couldn't open holes big enough to establish a consistent running game.

It's sad if you're an Oregon Fan but this will mark their decline. I'm not convinced Helfrich is a great coach and I'm not convinced his style will attract the physicality needed in the trenches to win a NC.

USC is going to be scary next year!

We'll be good, possibly even very good. But I'm looking at 2016 before we're scary again.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that stuck out for me in that game last night was the yards after contact that Jones and Elliott were getting. Every time it seemed like Oregon had them stopped and the defense could get off the field, they'd manage to plow ahead for 2-5 more yards. That wears down and demoralizes a defense after awhile.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the Ducks were down at WR, that has nothing to do with their complete failure at stopping the Ohio state run game, or the Ducks inability to establish their bread and butter run game. With out the run game, the Ducks depended too much on Mariotas arm.

This game was a slaughter from beginning to end. Ohio State committed 4 stupid turnovers and still hung 42 points on you while shutting down most of your offense.

But the ducks don't have too much to bitch about either looking back at 2014.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducks won the Rose Bowl for only like the 3rd or 4th time in school history? :noidea: That memory alone makes it a great season for their fans, especially the ones that drove down for that game. They will lick their wounds over the ass beating they got on national TV last night and look back at an otherwise great season.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations Duck fans. Was a great year.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon's DL Arik Armstead has declared for the NFL draft.

Bowl season is officially over and all the coaches will be hitting the recruiting trail hard this week and through the rest of Jan to finish up the work for the 2015 classes. Expect lots of big names who haven't decided yet to be added to many of the PAC classes by LOI.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in the new of the way too early, Vegas has already released it's first odds for who will win next years natty.

USC 12:1
Oregon 20:1
Stanford & UCLA 25:1

ESPN's Mark Schlabach has a way to early 2015 Top25. For the PAC, it's:

4. USC
5. Oregon
7. UCLA
13. Zona
15. ASU
22. Utah

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at work and only got texts from my wife all game. Congrats to the Ducks for getting there, but it sounds like they went in too over confident and not prepared for the intensity of Ohio St. Who knows? Maybe next year, there will be 4 totally different teams playing off for all the marbles.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't wanna hear any more comparisons between Pete's USC run and the Duck make believe dynasty. USC showed up for big games.
Marcus got a taste of what being a qb in the NFL is like and he's got some learning to do.
:bullshit:

If we start talking about what people 'don't wanna hear' socaljim, we can begin with Pete having zero National Titles during the BCS era. Can't count 2005 that was vacated and we all know why, and we can't count AP titles either because as part of the AFCA Pete and the PAC agreed the only recognized National Title was the BCS Title game winner.

I was at work and only got texts from my wife all game. Congrats to the Ducks for getting there, but it sounds like they went in too over confident and not prepared for the intensity of Ohio St. Who knows? Maybe next year, there will be 4 totally different teams playing off for all the marbles.
If you watched the game webfoot, you probably wouldn't have this same opinion. Ohio State just won in the trenches all day long and Oregon was out matched on the LOS on both sides of the ball. They too were probably out coached a bit too but controlling the trenches was the story of this National Championship game.

Shut the fuck up clown. Your team got spanked in public by Oregon.
Your stupid ass doesn't realize the PAC had more defensive All Americans than any other conference.
I gotta agree with SJ, it was a system win. Urban Meyers used the same system in Monday night's game that he used at Florida. On offense, the Buckeyes ran the ball at will which opened up the passing game for Jones to be highly successful when they needed him to be. Much like Meyers did with Tim Tebow. On defense, Ohio State controlled the LOS and Oregon failed to take advantage of all those turnovers and red zone opportunities. Sounds very similar to an SEC system, win in the trenches on both sides of the ball, play solid defense, run the ball well enough to open up the passing game where average QB play can take advantage of the system.

By the way, I've known SJ for a long time, we go back more than a few years at SeeBS prior to the hoop and he has been a respected poster on the SportsHoopla Rams boards for as long as many of you here on the PAC thread. Just like a lot of you mugs here, he has a respect for stud college football players in any conference and while he may not know the PAC like we do he does know a few things about the college game. I know SJ is a very good and solid poster! He can also be very abrasive, opinionated, unyielding and sometimes he's just an outright ass but all those adjectives I've just used to describe him here are the same that a lot of other folks can say about the lot of us here. :nod:

I say let's not be too quick to let non PAC folks give a take without requiring them to walk on egg shells because I'm sure that is good for this thread. I mean as long as they have a legit take and all and are not being an ass for the sake of being an ass...

Well that's just my two cents, take it for what it's worth..

:suds:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't wanna hear any more comparisons between Pete's USC run and the Duck make believe dynasty. USC showed up for big games.
Marcus got a taste of what being a qb in the NFL is like and he's got some learning to do.

USC under Carroll won an Orange and 4 Rose Bowls and lost a Rose Bowl which was the NC game by 3 points. also lost and won minor bowls (vegas and Emerald)

Oregon has lost 2 NC games one by 3 points the other blown out. won 2 Rose Bowls and a Fiesta along with Alamo, Holiday and Sun wins. also lost a Rose.
Oregon is about 50/50 in big games.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC under Carroll won an Orange and 4 Rose Bowls and lost a Rose Bowl which was the NC game by 3 points. also lost and won minor bowls (vegas and Emerald)

Oregon has lost 2 NC games one by 3 points the other blown out. won 2 Rose Bowls and a Fiesta along with Alamo, Holiday and Sun wins. also lost a Rose.
Oregon is about 50/50 in big games.

Lets simplify this. whats USCs record in BCS games and whats Oregons record in BCS games.
In recent championship games USC beat the hell out of Ohklahoma and lost to Texas on a last second play (oh and his knee was down.lol). Getting blown out in a title game is choking in a big game.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets simplify this. whats USCs record in BCS games and whats Oregons record in BCS games.
In recent championship games USC beat the hell out of Ohklahoma and lost to Texas on a last second play (oh and his knee was down.lol). Getting blown out in a title game is choking in a big game.

How can you choke when one team is just better?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bullshit:

If we start talking about what people 'don't wanna hear' socaljim, we can begin with Pete having zero National Titles during the BCS era. Can't count 2005 that was vacated and we all know why, and we can't count AP titles either because as part of the AFCA Pete and the PAC agreed the only recognized National Title was the BCS Title game winner.

If you watched the game webfoot, you probably wouldn't have this same opinion. Ohio State just won in the trenches all day long and Oregon was out matched on the LOS on both sides of the ball. They too were probably out coached a bit too but controlling the trenches was the story of this National Championship game.

I gotta agree with SJ, it was a system win. Urban Meyers used the same system in Monday night's game that he used at Florida. On offense, the Buckeyes ran the ball at will which opened up the passing game for Jones to be highly successful when they needed him to be. Much like Meyers did with Tim Tebow. On defense, Ohio State controlled the LOS and Oregon failed to take advantage of all those turnovers and red zone opportunities. Sounds very similar to an SEC system, win in the trenches on both sides of the ball, play solid defense, run the ball well enough to open up the passing game where average QB play can take advantage of the system.

By the way, I've known SJ for a long time, we go back more than a few years at SeeBS prior to the hoop and he has been a respected poster on the SportsHoopla Rams boards for as long as many of you here on the PAC thread. Just like a lot of you mugs here, he has a respect for stud college football players in any conference and while he may not know the PAC like we do he does know a few things about the college game. I know SJ is a very good and solid poster! He can also be very abrasive, opinionated, unyielding and sometimes he's just an outright ass but all those adjectives I've just used to describe him here are the same that a lot of other folks can say about the lot of us here. :nod:

I say let's not be too quick to let non PAC folks give a take without requiring them to walk on egg shells because I'm sure that is good for this thread. I mean as long as they have a legit take and all and are not being an ass for the sake of being an ass...

Well that's just my two cents, take it for what it's worth..

:suds:

First of all I couldn't care less about your history with him. He's an ass. He's an ass you've known for a long time, which still doesn't mean anything to me. His whole shtick since the bowl season began was look at how good FSU is and that the PAC doesn't hit-play defense and wait till PAC teams play real teams like in the SEC. Fact is more PAC players were voted AA defensive team. I don't mind someones different opinion but to call all PAC players soft is just being idiotic. The fact that he can't pimp his team so he goes on and on about the SEC is just pathetic considering his team got ass fucked by the team he's laughing at now. We don't do the team PAC thing here but his stupid ass is doing the team SEC thing when he's an FSU fan.
As far as Pete goes everyone knows how good his teams were. Everyone knows they beat the crap out of Oklahoma and how they played in one of the best title games in losing to Texas and everyone can see his BCS bowl game record. You can poo poo it all you want (and being a UCLA fan I assume you want to alot) but the fact remains that period in college football was the USC era.
Now about that "SEC system" . Solid lines , good run blocking , explosive backs good passing and attacking defense. Thats SEC system? Teams have been doing that for years. The Oregon offense was system. The Ohio State offense was nothing new.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you choke when one team is just better?

I would argue. The coaches choked. I don't know how you don't have your best player , your Heisman winner roll out with an option to pass or run on fouth and goal. You have him hand off. what the fuck was that? Why did they have him stay in the pocket so many times? thats not what he does. I can't believe they didn't do designed roll outs for him all night long. The tackling. How many times did Oregon have the OSU runner or QB stopped short and simply failed to tackle correctly. Thats not being better that not playing up to your capability and therefore choking. Maybe Ohio state still would have won. But dropping wide open passes ,not tackling to get your offense the ball and stupid play calls made it non competitive. The best team doesn't always win but not playing your best will make you lose to a good team and Oregon did not play their best. Unless you think that was their best.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue. The coaches choked. I don't know how you don't have your best player , your Heisman winner roll out with an option to pass or run on fouth and goal. You have him hand off. what the fuck was that? Why did they have him stay in the pocket so many times? thats not what he does. I can't believe they didn't do designed roll outs for him all night long. The tackling. How many times did Oregon have the OSU runner or QB stopped short and simply failed to tackle correctly. Thats not being better that not playing up to your capability and therefore choking. Maybe Ohio state still would have won. But dropping wide open passes ,not tackling to get your offense the ball and stupid play calls made it non competitive. The best team doesn't always win but not playing your best will make you lose to a good team and Oregon did not play their best. Unless you think that was their best.

Story is circulating that his Achilies was slightly injured and didn't want to risk it so early in the game. But both your last two posts are spot on. See there is highly intelligent football people out west - you are one of them.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Story is circulating that his Achilies was slightly injured and didn't want to risk it so early in the game. But both your last two posts are spot on. See there is highly intelligent football people out west - you are one of them.

That makes sense. Watching that game, Mariota didn't look like Mariota. I know tOSU's D-line pretty well manhandled Oregon's O-line, but he didn't have the ability to escape and improvise that we are used to seeing from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.