• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The only EC team that could take the Cavs to 7 games is...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ultimately think Cleveland will repeat as champions, but I think Atlanta is the biggest threat to beat them in the playoffs. (And yes, I think even moreso than GS)

Dwight Howard might not be the most popular figure in the NBA but he brings the elements that Atlanta didn't have before - Rim protection as well as the savvy of having beaten LeBron in the playoffs once before.

Atlanta a bigger threat than GS?

Not a chance. They could give Cleveland a decent series if everything broke right, but they are not a bigger threat than Golden State. The Warriors and Cavs are alone at the top of the NBA power structure. Nothing I have seen so far changes that.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A HEALTHY Boston Celtics.

Charlotte, Atlanta, Toronto all good teams but only see them taking a game or two in a 7 games series.

A healthy Boston team will be deadly once they get their chemistry together and they ALL play together.

It's easy to look at them and say "oh, they're 5-4, meh", but this team had Smart, Horford, Crowder and Olynyk all miss multiple games this year so far so they are not close to a finished product.

The Thomas-Bradley backcourt has been lights out, Crowder is a solid role player that does the dirty work, Smart off the bench is a bruiser, Amir Johnson and Kelly Olynyk will be a nice backdrop to Horford once he returns. Jaylen Brown is the wild card, could be a nice bench piece this yr.

They may not have enough fire power to beat the Cavs, but I think they are the only team that could force a game 7 if they have their entire team. Brad Stevens is a hell of a coach.

Avery Bradley might be having the best season that no one is talking about so far. 18.4 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 4.0APG, 1.2 SPG, with over 2 threes and a 47% FG.
+1

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Avery was one of my first fantasy picks.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just based on early returns id rank them like this- as threats to the Cavs in the East-
1. Toronto- DeRozan looks like he took a step up. Valunciunas will be healthy and he presents issues. Ross looks like he is improving as a bench player. They have some young players and picks they could deal- if they got a legitimate power forward i think they firmly establish themselves as the biggest threat to the Cavs. Right now the Raptors power forward minutes are going to Patrick Patterson and some guy named Pascal Siakem. For a team that has a back court of Lowry, and DeRozan (and Corey Joseph off the bench, Carrol at SF, and Valunciunas at center- it is fucking criminal to have such a shitty PF position when hte league is FILLED with good power forwards.
Who Covers LeBron: Carroll and Ross- respectable options
Who takes their last shot: DeRozan or Lowry- good options

2. Atlanta- Dwight Howard around shooters is a way to win. Paul Milsap is a great fit with Dwight. They still have Korver. Schroeder is taking a step up. They have a great system and a great coach.
Who covers LeBron? Bazemore is just too small to throw at LeBron and they really dont have another good option beside what, Sefolosha who will be 33 when the playoffs roll around. That is a problem.
Who takes their last shot?: Milsap? Schroeder?- this is kind of a problem too

3. Boston- A lot of depth. A good coach. They have the assets to add another impact player. Avery Bradley is really taking a step up. Him and MArcus Smart are both solid options to attemp to guard Kyrie. Horford was a nice pickup.
Who covers LeBron? One of the best options in the East- Crowder-
Who takes the last shot?- i dunno- Thomas probably?- Horford?--- decent options- but not great

4. Indiana- Paul George is the 2nd best player in the conference. Cavs always have a hard time playing in Indiana. Teague gives them a nice scoring option they didnt used to have. Myles Turner is a legit rim protector- already one of the best in the league.
Who guards LeBron- best option in the East- Paul George
Who takes the last shot- probably Paul George- pretty darn good option

5. Chicago Bulls- Hey- they look good so far and are a veteran team that have won a lot of games - Rondo and Wade obviously. Jimmy Butler is probably the 3rd or 4th best player in the East and is having a great year offensively. Taj Gibson is playing great ball. They really could use a big man who can shoot though as Mirotic is just a failure
Who Guards LeBron- Jimmy Butler- pretty darn good option - 2nd in the EAst to PG
Who takes the last shot?- Dwade or Butler?--- pretty darn good options.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just based on early returns id rank them like this- as threats to the Cavs in the East-
1. Toronto- DeRozan looks like he took a step up. Valunciunas will be healthy and he presents issues. Ross looks like he is improving as a bench player. They have some young players and picks they could deal- if they got a legitimate power forward i think they firmly establish themselves as the biggest threat to the Cavs. Right now the Raptors power forward minutes are going to Patrick Patterson and some guy named Pascal Siakem. For a team that has a back court of Lowry, and DeRozan (and Corey Joseph off the bench, Carrol at SF, and Valunciunas at center- it is fucking criminal to have such a shitty PF position when hte league is FILLED with good power forwards.

2. Atlanta- Dwight Howard around shooters is a way to win. Paul Milsap is a great fit with Dwight. They still have Korver. Schroeder is taking a step up. They have a great system and a great coach.
Who covers LeBron? Bazemore is just too small to throw at LeBron and they really dont have another good option beside what, Sefolosha who will be 33 when the playoffs roll around. That is a problem.

3. Boston- A lot of depth. A good coach. They have the assets to add another impact player. Avery Bradley is really taking a step up. Him and MArcus Smart are both solid options to attemp to guard Kyrie. Horford was a nice pickup.
Who takes the last shot?- i dunno- Thomas probably?- Horford?--- decent options- but not great

4. Indiana- Paul George is the 2nd best player in the conference. Cavs always have a hard time playing in Indiana. Teague gives them a nice scoring option they didnt used to have. Myles Turner is a legit rim protector- already one of the best in the league.

5. Chicago Bulls- Hey- they look good so far and are a veteran team that have won a lot of games - Rondo and Wade obviously. Jimmy Butler is probably the 3rd or 4th best player in the East and is having a great year offensively. Taj Gibson is playing great ball. They really could use a big man who can shoot though as Mirotic is just a failure
Who Guards LeBron- Jimmy Butler- pretty darn good option - 2nd in the EAst to PG

I would put Boston at 1 because I think they will make a big splash before the deadline. As currently constructed though, I agree with this entire list.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats a good list. Charlotte 6?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a bad list. i would put Bulls at #3. Boston is over rated. They are just not playing well. Indiana is a nice sleeper pick. Atlanta looks good.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad list. i would put Bulls at #3. Boston is over rated. They are just not playing well. Indiana is a nice sleeper pick. Atlanta looks good.

Boston has been playing without Horford and Crowder, who are their 2nd and 3rd or 4th best players. I think it is unfair to judge them based on their work up until now.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue much tonight, the Celtics are playing like shit. But you are in for a rude awakening with the Bulls I'm afraid. I don't think they're built to play like this all season. You seem to be the only one on these boards, or really earth that puts them ahead of the Celtics. They played .500 ball with 2 starters out for most of the games man.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobcats are intriguing having perimeter defenders like Batum and MKG- but i think scoring is a major problem for them. If you throw a lot of guys and design your defense to stop KEmba- i dont see how they counter.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue much tonight, the Celtics are playing like shit. But you are in for a rude awakening with the Bulls I'm afraid. I don't think they're built to play like this all season. You seem to be the only one on these boards, or really earth that puts them ahead of the Celtics. They played .500 ball with 2 starters out for most of the games man.
U might be right but right now Im enjoying it as a fan and it wouldnt shock me if they made a big trade we still have cap to sign a max player next year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston has been playing without Horford and Crowder, who are their 2nd and 3rd or 4th best players. I think it is unfair to judge them based on their work up until now.
Health is part of the game. Im not a big Horford fan so I dont think he would make that team that much better. I mean the Bulls spanked Boston with Horford and lost to Boston with out him.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Health is part of the game. Im not a big Horford fan so I dont think he would make that team that much better. I mean the Bulls spanked Boston with Horford and lost to Boston with out him.
If winning by 6 is a spanking. You guys were also at home that first game, and in Boston the second game.

Horford absolutely makes a huge difference. Granted it's not always with things that stuff the stat sheet, but he really does make everybody on the floor better. We've already won both games since he's been back on the road.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If winning by 6 is a spanking. You guys were also at home that first game, and in Boston the second game.

Horford absolutely makes a huge difference. Granted it's not always with things that stuff the stat sheet, but he really does make everybody on the floor better. We've already won both games since he's been back on the road.
Anyone that watched that game knows Bulls controlled that whole game. Ok maybe spanked was the wrong word.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that watched that game knows Bulls controlled that whole game. Ok maybe spanked was the wrong word.
Well we spanked you guys by 7 in the second game then lol.

And now we're both gonna be pissed off when Notre Dame gets spanked at USC.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only team in the East that might keep the Cavs from making the NBA finals is an injured Cavs team.
i think this is true...especially since it seems the Cavs have gotten better this year. They look so much more relaxed and cohesive and sure of themselves. The pressure and stress and anxiety --- all that pressure is gone.

Was just reading an interesting article on how The Block will be remembered as LeBron's signature move. I just think that the confidence the whole team gained from winning the title is so important going forward. The fact that GSW and Durant have the spotlight squarely on them right now makes it even better for the Cavs...the biggest controversies are backup point guard and how much rest to give LeBron.....thats when you know things are going well....at this time last year David Blatt was still the coach. lol.....

anyway...this article i thought was a really good one that put some of LeBron's accomplishments in perspective-- some really funny parts too actually.:

I’m not even supposed to be here.”

A life can’t be explained by a moment, but it can be defined by one. That’s never stopped us from sifting through history and biographies for the fateful choices and actions that seemingly capture a person’s character like a scene in a snow globe.

I’ve been thinking about LeBron James’s block in the context of everything that happened before he arrived at that moment — 1:51 left in the fourth quarter, Game 7, NBA Finals, tied at 89 with the Warriors: Growing up without his father around. Having to live with his youth league coach for a time. Then, managing to escape the world of amateur sports — a labyrinth littered with the dusty skeletons of previously anointed Next Ones — to navigate past the minotaurs of AAU moneymen, grasping sports agents, and sneaker pimps, and to land on the cover of Sports Illustrated, and to do it all by age 17, one year older than Gloria James was when she brought him into the world.

I think about the irony of Klay Thompson’s dad, Mychal, a former NBA player, calling LeBron — who, as a child, watched his house get torn down by the city of Akron — “entitled” after Game 4 of the Finals.

I think about how, when LeBron reached the NBA, every season creaked under the expectations — seemingly impossible to live up to — that he would one day lead Cleveland sports out of the wilderness. How LeBron had to deal with teammates like Ricky Davis, the ignoble and inveterate gunner who once said — and perhaps here’s a single sentence that does sum up a career — “I thought LeBron James was just going to be another addition to help me score.”

There were the shots he passed up and there was Game 6 against the Celtics in 2010, when he disappeared before everyone’s eyes — a 6-foot-8 ghost, melting into the shadow of his impending free agency. Those four quarters were so desultory it seemed possible they could scar his career forever. Now, they’re just a footnote.

Then, of course, there was The Decision (remember how the enormity of it seemed to gradually etch itself into LeBron’s face); Dan Gilbert’s infamous response (427 words of bile set in a font better suited for a child’s birthday party flier); James’s gasoline-soaked no. 23 going up in a sputtering gout of flame along with his Q Score; the entire universe, minus South Florida, luxuriating in the sweet schadenfreude when James’s Heat lost to the Mavericks in 2011; and Pat Riley, the mafia don mastermind behind James’s two titles in Miami, (allegedly) telling LeBron that going back to Ohio — going home — would be the biggest mistake of his career.

Any one of those moments could have been the one to define James’s career. Many of them, for a time, did. Until the Block.

In retrospect, it’s strange that a player as great as LeBron James didn’t have a signature playoff moment until his 13th season. With radar vision, the skills and unselfishness of a guard, and the physical presence of a bionic power forward, LeBron’s game has always defied easy categorization. He’s hyperbole in human form. As The Ringer’s Danny Chau wrote, LeBron’s greatest rival has always been the idea of LeBron James. Compared with our mental image of the player, a generic LeBron night — 28 points, eight rebounds, eight assists, do-everything-but-fly-the-team-plane — feels like just another day at the office. Maybe it was James’s remarkable performance against the Pistons in Game 5 of the 2007 Eastern Conference finals — when he scored 48 points at the Palace, including the Cavaliers’ final 25 points — that prompted the question, which has haunted the perception of LeBron, to form in the back of everyone’s mind: “Why doesn’t he do that all the time?”

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which star or big name does Boston even have a chance of landing? Not too many big names on the block.

Jaylen Brown is their biggest trade chip (that they'd most likely deal) but outside of that guys like IT, Bradley, Crowder, Horford, etc. are all needed for them to compete. They do have some draft picks to deal, and that will help in trying to get a deal done, but I just can't think of many great fits right now.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players available (not fits but just could be dealt) Rudy Gay, Brook Lopez, DeMarcus Cousins, Kenneth Faried.... can't think of many more.