• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 'Who are we kidding, we are sellers' trade dealine thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Pillar is an interesting option.

He rates very highly defensively (2.3 dWAR in 170 career games), under team control until 2021, can run well, and is hitting .281 right now.

He could be a cheap replacement for Austin Jackson. I just wouldn't want to give up too much for him, preferably a vet like Happ or Iwakuma.

My only issue is he has a career OBP of .296. In addition he only has 21 career walks in 170 games. Although he would be a slight upgrade over Austin Jackson with a higher upside and he'd be $7m cheaper.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of trading for Pillar because not only could it benefit us now, but it benefits us in the future as well.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has reported that the Phillies agreed to send Revere to the Angels for reliever Trevor Gott, but the Halos backed out of the deal.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has reported that the Phillies agreed to send Revere to the Angels for reliever Trevor Gott, but the Halos backed out of the deal.
All Philly is looking for is a bullpen arm? Why have we not made this deal yet?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the Mariners need arms but if the Phillies need a bullpen arm why not just send Carson Smith, lets face it the Mariners need to get an offense established before they even consider having a stable closer, which is why I didn't get the Rodney signing nor the Morrow for League trade. Much rather have the bullpen lose it in the 9th than the starter lose it in the 2nd when he gives up 2 runs.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the Mariners need arms but if the Phillies need a bullpen arm why not just send Carson Smith, lets face it the Mariners need to get an offense established before they even consider having a stable closer, which is why I didn't get the Rodney signing nor the Morrow for League trade. Much rather have the bullpen lose it in the 9th than the starter lose it in the 2nd when he gives up 2 runs.
We've already traded Leone and Medina. Farquar and wilhelmsen have ben ineffective all year. Rodney has been up and down. So you want to trade the only consistently decent right-handed reliver we have left? Well, Smith and Mark lowe, Anyway, not a good idea. And the fact that Smith is taking over as the closer for us next year makes the idea even worse. And the fact that Smith isn't even arbitration eligible until 2018 makes the idea even worse. Rodney makes $7 million a year. Smith will make about $530,000 next year and maybe $550,000 in 2017.

I'll admit that picking up Revere would be nice, but not for Smith.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've already traded Leone and Medina. Farquar and wilhelmsen have ben ineffective all year. Rodney has been up and down. So you want to trade the only consistently decent right-handed reliver we have left? Well, Smith and Mark lowe, Anyway, not a good idea. And the fact that Smith is taking over as the closer for us next year makes the idea even worse. And the fact that Smith isn't even arbitration eligible until 2018 makes the idea even worse. Rodney makes $7 million a year. Smith will make about $530,000 next year and maybe $550,000 in 2017.

I'll admit that picking up Revere would be nice, but not for Smith.

You beat me to it.

Couldn't have said it better my self. If a reliever is all it takes to make the deal happen, I'd do it. Mariners should've considered trading one of our vets and signing Rafael Soriano, unfortunately the Cubs beat us to it.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My reasoning is they have never had issues finding guys from within the organization who can turn into closers. I love Smith but the Mariners have proven there is no point in having a great closer if they don't have any offensive production.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ms and Jays seem ideal trading partners. Jays are desperate for a starter (three of their current rotation guys are garbage) and have so much offense they don't know what to do with it.

It's not like Toronto hasn't kindly taken Seattle's garbage in the past :) (See Morrow, Saunders) Ms could pull off a nice deal. Colabello, Carrerra, and Valencia would all seem to be upgrades if they kept playing at their current levels.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the Dodgers, Jays and Nats had scouts on hand to see Hisashi Iwakuma give up four home runs in his return engagement. Iwakuma is seen as a trade possibility, though that didn't help.

Per CBS

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are going to end up trading Kuma and having to eat his contract to get any possible return back.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are going to end up trading Kuma and having to eat his contract to get any possible return back.
his contract is up this year, so that's not much of a factor...at least, it shouldn't be

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his contract is up this year, so that's not much of a factor...at least, it shouldn't be

Agreed that it shouldn't be, just IMO it seems sad that to get anything back that is even useful to the club they are going to have to pay for their "number 2" starter to pitch for someone else. I really think they screwed the pooch when they didn't deal him 2 years ago when he could've netted some prospects.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fans of other clubs look at this thread, check out what the m's have to sell that will help them contend in the next couple of years, and laugh, categorically.

z will get raped no matter what he does, so i'm fine with him doing nothing since this year is absolutely lost.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
z will get raped no matter what he does, so i'm fine with him doing nothing since this year is absolutely lost.
I agree that Z likely screws up any trade he does but I don't agree that we should do nothing.

The Big League roster is definitely flawed and the AAA is weak but there are still tradable pieces. Unfortunately Rodney and Kuma have no value do to their situations but guys like Happ and Jackson still would have value to some teams. You should also listen on Seth Smith who is a good fit for an NL team and even Cruz but I doubt anything matches up there. I think if Furbush has only a minor injury he has some value too.

The only thing worse then being a seller is to sit in the middle and do nothing. They did that in 2009 when Beltre was kept and did it in 2013 when Morales and Ibanez were kept.

If the only reason not to sell is that Z will screw it up than we obviously have the wrong guy. But I know I am just preaching to the choir on that.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Z likely screws up any trade he does

begins and ends there for me.

z will lose on any trade that isn't shit for shit with another team, he's most likely out the door in 3 months, and this year is already totally lost.

until then, i hope that he does minimal damage in desperation to stay or attempt to look good for another club to potentially hire him.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
begins and ends there for me.

z will lose on any trade that isn't shit for shit with another team, he's most likely out the door in 3 months, and this year is already totally lost.

until then, i hope that he does minimal damage in desperation to stay or attempt to look good for another club to potentially hire him.

Yep basically spot on. As much as the team is in prime position this deadline to help the health of the club its best to do nothing. Jack's not going to sell which the M's need to but every GM in baseball can screw Jack over because they know he is beyond desperate.