• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 'Who are we kidding, we are sellers' trade dealine thread

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my first prediction:
We will trade away Charlie Furbush for what will ultimately amount to nothing, the bullpen harmony of the last two years will disintegrate, and we will watch Nuno and Beimel try, and fail, to be the primary situational lefty for the remainder of the season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted under the thread "Jack Article ESPN" what Jack said about the upcoming deadline. Don't expect anything is the quick version.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Mariners will do anything at the trade deadline, if anything they will buy.

Keep in mind, Jack's actions will reflect the fact that his job is on the line. Why would he sell away his pieces for the future if his incentive is to try to win now?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Mariners will do anything at the trade deadline, if anything they will buy.

Keep in mind, Jack's actions will reflect the fact that his job is on the line. Why would he sell away his pieces for the future if his incentive is to try to win now?

the fact he knows he has to win now scares the heck out of me. he could sell in a bavasi type way.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact he knows he has to win now scares the heck out of me. he could sell in a bavasi type way.

Call me naive but I think if the Mariners play their cards right this trade deadline and offseason, they could have a contender next year. The pieces are there and the window hasn't closed yet.

The Mariners need to do something about the lack of offensive production from SS, C and add an outfielder who can get on base (Alex Gordon, Dexter Fowler). A lot of talk has been around the disappointing production from Cano, but if you really want to understand the Mariners lack of offensive production, you have to address those three spots.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet they do nothing other than trade for a couple of minor league relievers and jack keeps his job anyway even if the team does end the season in last place. who knows if his job is really even on the line at all since the team is making money while sucking.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me naive but I think if the Mariners play their cards right this trade deadline and offseason, they could have a contender next year. The pieces are there and the window hasn't closed yet.

Naive...lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the team we have on paper this year is better than the team we had last year.

This is something I can agree with, on paper. But last year the pitching was historic, with a duplicate performance from the pitching the addition of Cruz, Smith and a full season of Jackson make them better on paper but Seager isn't having an all star year, Cano surely isn't, Zunino has regressed, Jackson is what he is, the lineup. On paper the team looks like it should be better, but when other teams get better and your team relies on one free agent signing, 6 of your offensive players to play better than what they have so far and duplicated last year's pitching performance is putting a crap ton into ignorant side.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something I can agree with, on paper. But last year the pitching was historic, with a duplicate performance from the pitching the addition of Cruz, Smith and a full season of Jackson make them better on paper but Seager isn't having an all star year, Cano surely isn't, Zunino has regressed, Jackson is what he is, the lineup. On paper the team looks like it should be better, but when other teams get better and your team relies on one free agent signing, 6 of your offensive players to play better than what they have so far and duplicated last year's pitching performance is putting a crap ton into ignorant side.

It's quite unfortunate that the Mariners didn't sign Cruz last year. Imagine where the Mariners would've been with him last year? Cano hitting the way he did last year, the Mariners would've had one of the best 3,4,5 punches in the majors.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite unfortunate that the Mariners didn't sign Cruz last year. Imagine where the Mariners would've been with him last year? Cano hitting the way he did last year, the Mariners would've had one of the best 3,4,5 punches in the majors.

Most certainly if they had Cruz last year over Morales they make the playoffs last year. But they didn't want to sign guys with "PED" problems even though the greatest regular season in Mariners history was full of PED guys.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of talk about who we send down when Kuma comes back then eventually Paxton, but what I could see is us dealing Happ to make room. Pitchers are always in need for playoff teams and from what I read a month ago by a Seattle reporter was that he didn't believe M's were looking to re-sign him next year. I know Royals are one team scrambling for starters. Rays as well I would think with everyone hurt.

Just a thought and one that wouldn't change the course for this year or for the future.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are going to deal Haap then its a good time to package Ackley to get at least a guy who has MLB potential. Ackley isn't a bad role player on a contenders bench

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of talk about who we send down when Kuma comes back then eventually Paxton, but what I could see is us dealing Happ to make room. Pitchers are always in need for playoff teams and from what I read a month ago by a Seattle reporter was that he didn't believe M's were looking to re-sign him next year. I know Royals are one team scrambling for starters. Rays as well I would think with everyone hurt.

Just a thought and one that wouldn't change the course for this year or for the future.

I would be cool with trading Happ. I know that this team is still pretty thin regarding SP depth and you and I have talked about it a lot during the off season. But I don't really have an issue with that anymore not because I think its fixed but because I don't think we are a playoff team so lets not pretend and lets see what the young starting pitchers have, now is a good time to see if Montgomery is for real or if he is what most think he is.

I actually think Happ should be traded and I think Kuma should be traded (if the interest is there). Mostly because I don't think we should resign either of them. I think there are better pitchers than them in FA anyways.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are going to deal Haap then its a good time to package Ackley to get at least a guy who has MLB potential. Ackley isn't a bad role player on a contenders bench

I think teams could view Ackley as a decent bench option and in the back of their mind what if he turns into the player everyone expected. To me it seems he would fit a national league team well.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I think Kuma should be traded (if the interest is there).

Ya, we missed the boat on that I am afraid. I read somewhere few weeks back about how we had a chance to trade Kuma foe Cespedes and turned it down. Can't remember if it was with A's or Tigers. He has been on borrowed time for awhile now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we trade or bring up or do something with Montero? I think it's ridiculous we still have a catcher that can't bat .200 playing at the MLB level when we've got a catcher (granted defense sucks but who cares, Z is batting sub .200!!!!) batting over .300 in AAA.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montero sucks defensively but weren't his numbers actually pretty solid in the bigs when he caught, just when he DHed it sucked? I really don't see an issue with having him on the club getting 3 or so games a week at catcher/1B/DH.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, we missed the boat on that I am afraid. I read somewhere few weeks back about how we had a chance to trade Kuma foe Cespedes and turned it down. Can't remember if it was with A's or Tigers. He has been on borrowed time for awhile now.
Yeah I think you are right. My hope is he comes back and has a few nice starts and gets some value back. I could see teams desperate for starter help showing interest with a price tag in the mid level prospect range. Which honestly I would be fine with, especially with how this season is going.

Happ on the other hand, his value goes down with every start he has outside of Safeco. The guy is good in Safeco and not good outside of it. Not really a surprise but teams look at that when they negotiate trades and assign value to players.