• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Need For Everything (Official Lionstop1 draft report)

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I've heard enough to be able to predict our second round pick with confidence. A potential top 5 draft pick, who's injury concerns and marijuana use have dropped him to a projected 4th round. That means as long as Mayhew resists the urge to trade up for him, Shane Ray will be taken by Detroit in the 2nd round.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the hypocrisy of Caldwell's way of viewing off field issues, weed is horrible but PED's are just fine, keep Lord Voldemort from drafting PJ Williams with our second rd pick?

I think he will be there?

P.J. Williams' DUI Case Dismissed: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction | Bleacher Report
Former Florida State cornerback P.J. Williams' DUI case has been dismissed after signs of his impairment were not found on video evidence.

Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network passed along the news Monday from Williams' attorney:

Williams, 21, was arrested earlier this month on suspicion of DUI after being pulled over by police. He allegedly refused to take a field sobriety test and was not given a breathalyzer on the scene. Safid Deen and Karl Etters of the Tallahassee Democrat reported Williams mentioned his standing as a former Florida State football player before he was taken to jail.

_gep2s4I_normal.jpeg
Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

From paperwork just filed in PJ Williams’ dismissed DUI case, signs of impairment claimed by the officer was not corroborated on video.

12:29 PM - 27 Apr 2015

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'HARA: Don't expect Mayhew to stay put with six picks

In this year’s draft, the Lions have the 23rd pick in Thursday night’s first round and six picks overall – one in all seven rounds except the fourth.

But as Mayhew’s track record shows – and his words reinforce – it’s best for Lions fans to be on alert for the words “we have a trade” when the Lions are on the clock in any round.

“I think I made the point at the league meeting that we’ve never started a draft and finished a draft with the same picks,” Mayhew said at his pre-draft press conference last week. “So I think we’ll have a different number of picks at the end of the draft.”

Mayhew did make a few trade downs, albeit in later rounds, to acquire Ronnell Lewis (4th rd.) and Jonte Green (6th rd.) in 2012, Sam Martin (5th rd.) and Theo Riddick (6th rd.) in 2013 and last years 5th rd pick Caraun Reid.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions will stay away from any players with character issues after being burned in the 2012 drafts and prior. They have finally rid themselves of all those types. I cant see Caldwell agreeing to bring on any of them. Kiss Peters, Ray, PJ Williams, and some others goodbye.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be more than happy to trade back with any of those teams and let them have the RBs. Heck I would trade back twice if I could.

Agree 100%. Fix the trenches and then worry about the backfield. Detroit is built to throw the ball. If they are planning on trading Calvin Johnson -- I'd be all for drafting a RB to give the ball 25-30 times a game.

They have huge resources invested in a QB and 2 WRs, as well as 2 1st round TE's. As a team, Detroit didn't even run the ball 25 times a game. They don't have the offensive line to run the ball successfully, IMO, so not sure if drafting a RB in round 1 would be the smartest route to go.

Detroit has shown though -- they aren't worried about need and will draft who they feel is the best available. Personally -- I'd rather find an OL that will give Stafford more time to throw the ball, but at 23, the BPA can end up being from just about any position. Outside of QB and I truly, truly hope TE -- Detroit could go OL, DL, CB, RB, WR, S, etc. All depends what happens with the teams drafting ahead of them.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions will stay away from any players with character issues after being burned in the 2012 drafts and prior. They have finally rid themselves of all those types. I cant see Caldwell agreeing to bring on any of them. Kiss Peters, Ray, PJ Williams, and some others goodbye.

Mayhew Says Lions More Cautious Since 2011 About Background Of Prospects CBS Detroit

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew acknowledged at the owners meetings in March that he was “overly aggressive” in the 2011 draft, one in which the Lions selected defensive tackle Nick Fairley in the first round and running back Mikel Leshoure and wide receiver Titus Young in the second round.

“I think we have been, since 2011, more cautious in terms of our sources and the people that we’re talking to and finding out the best information that we can find out,” Mayhew said Friday.

The experience the Lions had with those players will not preclude the team from considering players who have character issues, but Mayhew said those type of players will be thoroughly discussed at multiple levels of the organization.

“There are situations where there are a few guys that I may describe to our ownership group and with [team president] Tom Lewand and [head coach] Jim [Caldwell] and we’ll talk about their individual situation,” Mayhew said. “I think it’s difficult to just put guys in categories and say, ‘This guy is a DUI guy,’ or ‘This guy is a drug guy’ or ‘This guy is …’ whatever. I think you have to talk about every person’s individual situation and where they are in that process.

“So there are occasionally guys that we have some discussion about if those are guys that we want to add to our franchise,” Mayhew continued. “That’s part of the process.”

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks BB, case dismissed. Just the fact that he found trouble is still going to hurt his draft stock, the question is whether he falls to the latter part of the second rd, where we can pass on him and take someone that doesn't make sense.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
case dismissed.

dismissed ? or paid off ?

some ongoing history with players from FSU getting away with certain things when it involves the Po Po

not that I've ever noticed such a thing.. ever

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd still pa
Thanks BB, case dismissed. Just the fact that he found trouble is still going to hurt his draft stock, the question is whether he falls to the latter part of the second rd, where we can pass on him and take someone that doesn't make sense.
I'd still pass on him- read the "over-rated" section that BB just put up. Apparently he's shitty in coverage, which isn't good for a CB at all...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem, make the trade with Dallas then package our third and theirs to move up into the late second for him.

That being said you know that Lord Voldemort is not going up in the mid rounds, he is going back and has basically already said that when he was ask about not having a 4th and 5th rd pick.

Is this reverse psychology? I get you to not bash Mayhew till Thursday night and you show faith in this guy to trade back. This must be a test. I will surely fail this test. As that SOB has never done it before. No reason for him to start now.
Wait...are you almost quoting Mayhew as to believe the words that crossed his lips to be true?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'HARA: Don't expect Mayhew to stay put with six picks

In this year’s draft, the Lions have the 23rd pick in Thursday night’s first round and six picks overall – one in all seven rounds except the fourth.

But as Mayhew’s track record shows – and his words reinforce – it’s best for Lions fans to be on alert for the words “we have a trade” when the Lions are on the clock in any round.

“I think I made the point at the league meeting that we’ve never started a draft and finished a draft with the same picks,” Mayhew said at his pre-draft press conference last week. “So I think we’ll have a different number of picks at the end of the draft.”

Mayhew did make a few trade downs, albeit in later rounds, to acquire Ronnell Lewis (4th rd.) and Jonte Green (6th rd.) in 2012, Sam Martin (5th rd.) and Theo Riddick (6th rd.) in 2013 and last years 5th rd pick Caraun Reid.

I have said he trades in mid and late rounds. He has never moved back and only moved up to get his guy in early rounds. Just became easier to say he never trades back.

Sorry BB for confusion. As I also can take the comment of " we will have same number of picks" to mean might only have five. Afterall we are talking Mayhew here.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts and comments are meant to be about as clear as those goofy pictures that you have to stare at for a while to get a picture to come into view and then just as it does you blink and it's all gone.

Lord Voldemort might do anything. If you think my brain is difficult to understand try getting inside that head. :scratch:

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shane Ray was pulled over for a driving infraction and they found a small amount of marijuana in his car not really what i'd call character issues.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane Ray was pulled over for a driving infraction and they found a small amount of marijuana in his car not really what i'd call character issues.

Well if you consider stupidity a character trait, then he has issues. Kid does not have pot to piss in and has biggest oppurtunity in front of him. At least be smart enough to get drafted first. Then attempt to get past the system.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew acknowledged at the owners meetings in March that he was “overly aggressive” in the 2011 draft, one in which the Lions selected defensive tackle Nick Fairley in the first round and running back Mikel Leshoure and wide receiver Titus Young in the second round.

Well, sometimes you need to focus on quality and not quantity.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call that a character issue, I'd call it blatant stupidity.

I have zero issue with him getting a little weed, I'd be a huge hypocrite to do so. However, given the timing of getting caught with it, I can only conclude that he's just plain stupid. If nothing else, when one has weed in the car they should be obeying every traffic law to the fucking letter, so they don't get pulled over, and, therefore, caught with weed.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if I heard it correct this morning driving. I Was not sure if I heard 3.6 or 36 ounces. Now if 36 OZ. is the case. As a GM I am seeing a kid who prolly fails a test in the future as he likes his weed.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit even 3.6 ounces is a fucking lot for 1 person.