• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Need For Everything (Official Lionstop1 draft report)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The need for everything.

Here it is. I’m going to lay out my thoughts on the upcoming draft just for the hell of it and of course, see how mine stacks up against those experts. The Lions simply need or could use almost any position no matter if it’s an upgrade over a starter or simply a need. My philosophy on how to draft is a team should always roll with the BPA approach early and then settle in on a few needs, but let the draft come to them. The BPA usually always fills a need so start there and grab whoever you can when the opportunity arises.

At 23, I suspect the Lions are in position to land a great player or trade back. If there was a time to trade back for this team, this year would be it. The good news is that there’s a good chance there will be some good o-linemen and D-linemen available when the Lions are up but the bad news (for most fans) is that there might be a few offensive players there too.

A guess at the Lions plan heading in:

I think the team’s main goal is to fix the running game and add a few pieces on defense. I’m just not sure if they want to address the o-line first or take the RB. During Mayhew’s tenure, he’s tried and tried to get good RBs and a #1 CB. Therefore, I think those two positions are the most sought after at the moment as some of the other positions seem as if they can be filled later.

Ranking positions of need:

1. Runningback: The team finished 28th in the league and have very average runners on the roster. Bell is 29 and is a RB that would excel more if he could be used as a #2, behind a feature-back.
  2. Cornerback: Mathis is back but the team still needs a CB to play opposite Slay in the future. The NFL is will be loaded with good WRs and the Lions must find one.
  3. Guard: There’s a big hole at LG but the team should be able to fill that void pretty easy during the draft. A LT would be solid but there’s no real need there.
  4. Defensive Tackle: The D-line should be fine as the Lions will probably add a few more bodies but I think Walker was brought in to stay.
  5. Wide Receiver: The Lions have weapons and its not an immediate need but if the opportunity arises, they must consider it.
Lionstop1’s top ranked players at 23

1. Todd Gurley: If the Lions were picking higher, I’d probably feel different but I like the value for Gurley at 23. The Lions need a player of his caliber.
  2. Melvin Gordon: Gordon is a fit and I even like him better than Gurley in some instances.
  3. Kevin Johnson: I like this guy’s attitude and the confidence he plays with. Reminds me of Slay.
  4. LaVante Parker: A see a A.J Green type of player with Parker and if he fell to 23, he would be a steal at that point.
  5. Danny Shelton: He will be gone but he would be too good to pass on at 23. Possibly a younger version of Ngata.
  6. La’el Collins: He would fit right in and probably is the best o-linemen for the Lions in this draft.
  7. Tevin Coleman: 23 may be a bit too early but if they want him, they would have to pull the trigger. He has the ability to be as good or better than the top two RBs.
  8. Jalen Collins: He would definitely be a good one to have at 6’2, 200 lbs. Austin could coach him right up.
3 round mock for the Lions (different scenarios)

The draft is unpredictable and you just never know where players may fall. Usually, teams have a pretty good idea of at least who they may have a shot at and they plan around it. I’ve come up with several situations that take into account what they Lions may be aiming to accomplish and the players that they should have a shot at.

Emphasis on repairing the o-line and run game:

1st round: La’el Collins, OT LSU (to play guard). Collins would come in and immediately give the Lions a great run blocker on the left side to go along with Rieff.

2nd round: Rob Havenstein, OT Wisconsin (to play RT). To shore things up, Havenstein could man the right side to make for a powerful right side with him and Warford. He’s a monster.

3rd round: Javorius Allen, RB USC. Allen seems to be a good fit for the Lions scheme. He has good speed, shifty and can catch the ball really well. He could be gone by this pick.

Reasonable possibility:

1st round: Jalen Collins, CB LSU. The Lions are looking for larger CBs that can run and play press coverage and Collins can do both. Pairing him with Slay would be a good start to the draft.

2nd round: Donovan Smith, OT Penn St. The Lions brought him in for a visit and I like his chances to join the team at RT in the second round.

3rd round T.J Yeldon, RB Alabama I personally think Yeldon will only succeed on certain teams but I can see a scenario where the Lions get desperate and draft the big back. He doesn’t seem to be a perfect fit but one who could be productive.

Reasonable possibility:

1st round: D.J Humphries, OT Florida: Ratings on OTs will be all over the place and who knows where the Lions will have Humphries but there is some interest according to sources.

2nd round: Carl Davis, DT Iowa: Apparently the Lions like both of the DTs from Iowa. Davis may not be available here but I can see the Lions taking him if he is.

3rd round: Jeremy Langford, RB Michigan St: I think there is a run on RBs by this time and the Lions could look at Langford.

My preference:

1st round: Todd Gurley/Melvin Gordon RB, Georgia: The Lions only real shot at adding a feature back is now and there is a small window of opportunity to get either Gordon or Gurley at 23.

2nd round: Damarious Randall, S Arizona St: Whether its a CB or S, the Lions need some help back there. Randall will be off the board but would be a nice pick at 54.

3rd round: Laken Tomlinson, G Duke: Picking the right guard for the team is hard to do but Tomlinson seems to fit the bill.

Official Prediction:

1st round: Arik Armstead, DT Oregon/ Tevin Coleman, RB Indiana: Armstead's name has been floating around that top 20 area and I see some similarities with his abilities and Ansah. Armstead is big and very versatile, but has untapped talent a coach like Austin may bring out. Armstead can play both DE and DT. I do think the Lions will pull the trigger on Coleman at 23 depending on who is on the board. Some sources feel he is the top rated RB and maybe the Lions do too.

2nd round: Eric Rowe, CB Utah: Rowe seems a bit similar to a player like Jimmy Smith. I think the team is looking for a larger CB that can press and do multiple things.

3rd round: Jamon Brown, OT Louisville: Brown is a OT but I think the Lions put him at LG with Lucas at LT, making a massive left side.

Trade back option: I like the Lions chances here because there are a few teams I see that could potentionally be trade partners. The Lions could come away winners on the second day.

Players to watch:

Mayhew is full of surprises, mixing some good and some bad so you never know what the team is thinking. Therefore, we must keep a few players in mind heading into the draft.

Breshad Perriman, WR UCF (1st round): Part of me feels as if the Lions will continue to add skilled players until they have a solid foundation. Perriman is an intriguing prospect and fast.

Mario. Edwards Jr, DE Florida St(1st round): The word is that Edwards could be special if used correctly because he can play inside and out. At 23 would be a reach but we've seen teams do this.

DeVante Parker, WR Louisville (1st round): He isn't supposed to make it to 23 but if he does...

Cedric Ogbuehi, OT Texas A&M (1st round): At one point he was supposed to be one of the top o-linemen entering the draft.

Official 1st round mock draft coming.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I would replace WR with Safety. We have Jones coming back and the staff seems to like Fuller. With Digs possibly leaving in a year we would be thin at Safety. I agree with everything else.

I look for OL, DT, CB in the first 3 rounds. RB and Safety in 5 and 6. If for some reason all our prime choices are gone at one of the top 3 positions, then RB may swap with one of them. Its possible if Coleman slips to late in the second we grab him as a BPA and forego one of the other 3 positions until later.

Still hoping we trade back and get an extra middle round pick, even if we have to throw in our 7th.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, don't have much time to respond to all this because my break is over in a few minutes, but lots to discuss here. Great post. I don't necessarily agree with it all, but it should create some good discussion.

The only part I guess I strongly disagree with is your statement that our only real shot at a feature back is in the 1st round. History tells us that feature backs are found up and down the draft every year. Even more so, recent draft history says we're far, far more likely to bust out on a 1st round back than we are to hit on a franchise-caliber RB in the 1st.

That being said, I'd still take Gurley if he falls that far, but I'll bet my shirt that he doesn't make it to us. After him I just don't see a back I'd take in the 1st with all the needs we have. I like Coleman, Gordon, and David Johnson a lot, but I couldn't justify taking such a risk with that #23 pick when we have holes on both the o-line and the d-line, and linemen are generally much safer picks than RBs.

This draft is also pretty deep at RB, so that would further my desire to pass on a RB in the 1st...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it’s not necessarily true that the Lions wouldn’t be able to find a feature back in later rounds, its just how I see things at the moment. Those other guys are good but I don’t see them as big-time backs. History also shows us that the Lions can’t pick RBs outside of the first round either, so I’d prefer they do it early.

Although I have my preferences, I’ll be cool with just about anything.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Official Prediction:

1st round: Arik Armstead, DT Oregon/ Tevin Coleman, RB Indiana: Armstead's name has been floating around that top 20 area and I see some similarities with his abilities and Ansah. Armstead is big and very versatile, but has untapped talent a coach like Austin may bring out. Armstead can play both DE and DT. I do think the Lions will pull the trigger on Coleman at 23 depending on who is on the board. Some sources feel he is the top rated RB and maybe the Lions do too.

::Stinkeye::

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's nice to have Ngata but damn it sucks not having a 4th and 5th.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it’s not necessarily true that the Lions wouldn’t be able to find a feature back in later rounds, its just how I see things at the moment. Those other guys are good but I don’t see them as big-time backs. History also shows us that the Lions can’t pick RBs outside of the first round either, so I’d prefer they do it early.

Although I have my preferences, I’ll be cool with just about anything.
To be fair it also shows us that we can't pick the right one in the 1st, either. :thumb:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's nice to have Ngata but damn it sucks not having a 4th and 5th.
You know we got a 5th from Tampa, right? It'd be better to have two 5th rounders, but I'll take the sure thing in Ngata in this particular case.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know we got a 5th from Tampa, right? It'd be better to have two 5th rounders, but I'll take the sure thing in Ngata in this particular case.

Forgot about that. Sounds fine with me. George was a journeyman at best. Time For Devin Taylor to step up.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
::Stinkeye::

I take it you don’t like that? LOL. I saw somewhere that the Lions have spoke with Armstead and I keep seeing his name surfacing lately. They’re calling him one of those prospects with huge upside. I can see the Lions going that direction.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about that. Sounds fine with me. George was a journeyman at best. Time For Devin Taylor to step up.
I think this will be a big year for he and Larry Webster. I see Taylor being groomed for Jason Jones' role (basically a 5-tech. DE) and Webster taking over for George Johnson as the 2nd pass-rushing DE on pass downs when Jones would normally kick inside last year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of these draft analysts keep stating the draft is deep with RB but I'm not seeing the quality of the so-called depth once you get past 5 or 6 RB's. I'm mostly referencing bell-cow backs who also have that true take it to the house potential that'll scare the heck out of opposing defenses (which would help CJ and Tate).

I put together a list of teams that allegedly have needs for RB's, according to NFL.com, and have come up with a total of 12 teams who have needs. It's scary to see that 6 teams are pretty clustered together who'll all likely be vying to get that RB. which are Det, Az, Car, Bal, Dal, Ind and SD is before those 6 drafting at #17 then you factor in early 2nd round teams who potentially might draft a rb in Jax, Oak, Nyj and Atl

Teams names, then numerical # (i.e. need of rb is 3rd in positional needs) and draft slot #'s
2015 NFL Draft: Top five needs for all 32 teams - NFL.com
for example:
Jacksonville Jaguars
Top 5 needs: OL, CB, RB, S, LB
NFL Draft - 2015 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Jax-3..... #3, #36, #67
Oak-3.... #4, #35, #68
Nyj-5..... #6, #37, #70
Atl-5...... #8, #42, #73
Mia-5.... #14, #47, no 3rd round pick
SD-3..... #17, #48, #83
Det-4.... #23, #54, #88
AZ-4..... #24, #55, #86
Car-4.... #25, #57, #89
Dal-3.... #27, #60, #91
Bal-4.... #26, #58, #90
Ind-3.... #29, #61, #91

It's going to be extremely difficult, IMO only, for Det to land one of those game changing, bell-cow type RB's. This all depends on what happens in that first round and early 2nd round.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, great workup and thought process on this thread Lionstop1 :nod:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of these draft analysts keep stating the draft is deep with RB but I'm not seeing the quality of the so-called depth once you get past 5 or 6 RB's. I'm mostly referencing bell-cow backs who also have that true take it to the house potential that'll scare the heck out of opposing defenses (which would help CJ and Tate).

I put together a list of teams that allegedly have needs for RB's, according to NFL.com, and have come up with a total of 12 teams who have needs. It's scary to see that 6 teams are pretty clustered together who'll all likely be vying to get that RB. which are Det, Az, Car, Bal, Dal, Ind and SD is before those 6 drafting at #17 then you factor in early 2nd round teams who potentially might draft a rb in Jax, Oak, Nyj and Atl

Teams names, then numerical # (i.e. need of rb is 3rd in positional needs) and draft slot #'s
for example:
Jacksonville Jaguars

Jax-3..... #3, #36, #67
Oak-3.... #4, #35, #68
Nyj-5..... #6, #37, #70
Atl-5...... #8, #42, #73
SD-3..... #17, #48, #83
Det-4.... #23, #54, #88
AZ-4..... #24, #55, #86
Car-4.... #25, #57, #89
Dal-3.... #27, #60, #91
Bal-4.... #26, #58, #90
Ind-3.... #29, #61, #91

It's going to be extremely difficult, IMO only, for Det to land one of those game changing, bell-cow type RB's. This all depends on what happens in that first round and early 2nd round.

I would be more than happy to trade back with any of those teams and let them have the RBs. Heck I would trade back twice if I could.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

for example:
Jacksonville Jaguars

Jax-3..... #3, #36, #67
Oak-3.... #4, #35, #68
Nyj-5..... #6, #37, #70
Atl-5...... #8, #42, #73
SD-3..... #17, #48, #83
Det-4.... #23, #54, #88
AZ-4..... #24, #55, #86
Car-4.... #25, #57, #89
Dal-3.... #27, #60, #91
Bal-4.... #26, #58, #90
Ind-3.... #29, #61, #91

Completely agree here. The Lions will be faced with a challenge no matter where they decide to take a RB. It's not as if other teams aren't going to go after them. I really believe once day two starts, some of those other guys will start coming off the board.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, great workup and thought process on this thread Lionstop1 :nod:

Appreciate it. I just want some good discussion before the draft and I do it for my own personal reasons too. LOL

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Imo all the hype about 1st round RBs all of a sudden is just that- hype. I wouldn't be surprised if only Gurley goes in the 1st round. Gordon probably will, but I also won't be surprised if he lasts till the early 2nd round. I'll be highly surprised if more than those two (i.e.- Coleman) go in the 1st.

I think the media analysts and especially us fans like the idea of 1st round RBs a lot more than GMs do...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perfect Draft

Round 1: Eric Rowe
Round 2: Nate Orchard
Round 3: Jeremiah Poutasi

All 3 are reaches, but one fills a need!!!