• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I think the whole "it's not impressive because the team is game planning for him to get rebounds" is a bs argument made by folks who would just rather criticize. The same writers, etc. were saying the same crap about Westbrook last year.

Someone has to get the rebound. Most teams gameplan for their bigs to get rebounds. The Lakers gameplan for Lonzo to get them because, with the pace Luke wants, they can start the offense faster if he gets the rebound rather than waiting for a big to get it and give him the ball.

It also feeds one of Lonzo's strengths which is getting the ball and knowing when to pass ahead into the frontcourt to get the fastbreak going.

It's not overly inflated rebounding stats, it's smart basketball.

It's not BS depending on the conversation though. If its purely trying to diminish a triple double, yeah, its bullshit. But if its evaluation Ball purely on talent, its not. He's not some superb rebounder light years ahead of everyone, he just gets more opportunities because the Lakers want the ball in his hands for a transition opportunity (the skill he really is elite at). Like @tlance was saying, this is the part where its back to the Westbrook thing from last year. He's getting more opportunities for easy rebounds and should be evaluated on that when talking about pure rebound skill discussions. So context matters.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of KD's fake social media accounts is asking the Thunder fans to be nice to him tonight.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum will finish well ahead of Kuzma. He is a starter and 3rd option on the team with the best record in the league.

Are we looking through gold and purple glasses?? What about Jayson Tatum?? Depends on which coast you're on as to what you see. Simmons is having a great start, but we're not even a quarter way into the season. How about we wait until the season is over and compare the rookies.

Tatum is doing really well on perhaps the best team in basketball. He seems pretty clearly the No. 2 RoY choice in the league.

But barring an injury to Simmons or a MAJOR regression in his game, Simmons is going to win to RoY and probably make the all-star team. The Sixers have probably played the hardest schedule in the league so far and Simmons has done well. If anything he is likely to improve as the competition gets a little weaker.

Admittedly I completely forgot about Tatum.

But even so, Kuzma's stats are better. The main thing Tatum has is that he plays on probably the best team in the league right now.

Second in the ROY will be close but to say Tatum is 'clearly' better is a load of bull...

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much different with young players on restricted deals.

Lakers are at the mercy of the market. They would have to match another teams' offer, which would likely be near 15-20 million at least. Guys like Randle almost always get overpaid on the open market.
That's understood which is why I think the Lakers would trade him if a team is looking to rebuild and needs to unload a unhappy star and believes in Randle. That's a lot but there sees to always be a few and yes it's a gamble.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly I completely forgot about Tatum.

But even so, Kuzma's stats are better. The main thing Tatum has is that he plays on probably the best team in the league right now.

Second in the ROY will be close but to say Tatum is 'clearly' better is a load of bull...

If you forgot about Tatum, how do you even know if its bull or not? :scratch:

For the record, its not bull. Tatum is clearly better. He's putting up stats on a great team where he's like the 3rd or 4th option playing like a seasoned vet. Kuzma has been good, but he's not at that level. He might make 1st Team All Rookie if he stays at this pace, but he's not finishing above Simmons or Tatum if things hold

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons had a bit of a ho-hum night tonight. 8-20 for 16 points. 8 rebounds. 9 assists. 3 steals. 2 blocks. And yet he didn't seem to be as involved as usual. Perhaps because the Sixers were in cruise control from the tip.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons had a bit of a ho-hum night tonight. 8-20 for 16 points. 8 rebounds. 9 assists. 3 steals. 2 blocks. And yet he didn't seem to be as involved as usual. Perhaps because the Sixers were in cruise control from the tip.

Magic used to do that. You'd watch a game, think he had a "quiet game" and then look at the stat sheet and it's full.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic used to do that. You'd watch a game, think he had a "quiet game" and then look at the stat sheet and it's full.

Yeah. Really good distributors, and Magic was one of the best ever, can do that. They are always involved in the play.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Really good distributors, and Magic was one of the best ever, can do that. They are always involved in the play.

To me, that's part of how you know Simmons is going to be really good. He can have a stat sheet like that and have folks thinking he wasn't as involved. If/when he learns to shoot like Magic learned, he'll be able to dominate a game with scoring when needed and dominate it without scoring too.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much different with young players on restricted deals.
Lakers are at the mercy of the market. They would have to match another teams' offer, which would likely be near 15-20 million at least. Guys like Randle almost always get overpaid on the open market.

The Lakers interior defense was really bad last night -- especially Randle. They gave up season high in points both to Zack R & WCS. I'm not sure if Randle is someone I'd invest >$15M / year. (I'd cut Kuzma some slack for now since he is a rookie)

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers interior defense was really bad last night -- especially Randle. They gave up season high in points both to Zack R & WCS. I'm not sure if Randle is someone I'd invest >$15M / year. (I'd cut Kuzma some slack for now since he is a rookie)

I agree. I am sure someone will pay him though. That is why the Lakers should view him as an expendable piece when looking to the future.

Jumpman98

GO Broncos-Yankees-Bulls-ND Fighting Irish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavar is back at it. Magic should probably put him in his place.

I agree, this is getting old. The distractions can be helping Lonzo Ball or the Lakers.

Jumpman98

GO Broncos-Yankees-Bulls-ND Fighting Irish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuzma continuing to light it up!

Barring an absolute catastrophe, Simmons will win ROY but Kuz is a good second.

I agree, he was a nice steal draft pick!

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo Ball's shooting 42.9% from the charity stripe.

giphy (1).gif

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq was a lifetime 52% FT shooter. 10 points higher than Lonzo. That is kinda crazy.

I will go out on a limb and say when Lonzo retires his FT% will be better than Shaq's

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will go out on a limb and say when Lonzo retires his FT% will be better than Shaq's

That seems like a likely outcome.

I'm kinda baffled as to why his FT is so horrible. That makes no sense to me. Granted he has only taken 28 FTs so far so it is a small sample size but still.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems like a likely outcome.

I'm kinda baffled as to why his FT is so horrible. That makes no sense to me. Granted he has only taken 28 FTs so far so it is a small sample size but still.

He is a poor shooter lacking confidence in his shot. And, like you said, really small sample size.

1 week where he goes 10-12 and he is back to a not completely terrible percentage.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the interior d was nonexistent. It's to be expected at times. Outside of Lopez, the Lakers are really young and Lopez isn't exactly known as a DPOY type. lol