• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Mariners rotation

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Iwakuma back we now have our formidable 1-2 punch back in action. With that being said, we have had a couple of pleasant surprises following those two in Young & Elias. Whenever the two of them are on the mound I feel that with a good night at the plate we can win against anyone; we still need runs regardless. In a situation that may or may not happen sometime soon, what happens when both Paxton and Walker come back? The top four are set right there, so does Young or Elias round out the rotation? I would assume Young stays for the mere fact that he is what he is, and Elias can be sent down to work on other pitches without any pressure. My hopes are that by doing so he doesn't get messed up because the kid has a really good arm; been really impressed. At full strength I would put our rotation against anyone, pretty crazy really:

1 - The King
2 - Hisashi Iwakuma
3 - Taijuan Walker
4 - James Paxton
5 - Chris Young

AAA - Waiting in the wings - Roenis Elias

That's pretty loaded, but I also figure Walker & Paxton could be flip flopped depending on recovery.

Today...............it's great to be an M's fan..............today!

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to the pitching topic, who worries you more when on the mound: Fernando Rodney or Erasmo Ramirez?

Me, they both have the potential to cause a heart attack. Hopefully Erasmo doesn't ruin the chance for a sweep tonight assuming Felix get's the same run support we've provided over the last few games.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Elias is getting sent to the minors when Paxton & Walker come back?
I don't think he's had anything but solid to great outings all year.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. As long as as Elias is delivering a 3.50ish ERa and 1.30ish WHIP, the Mariners have the luxury of taking their time with Walker and Paxton and making sure neither one is rushed back from injury. And if they do ultimately get to a situation where all six pitchers are healthy at one, it would be hard to predict who would be the oddd man out. Elias is probably on an IP limit of about 175. Walker and Paxton, with their injuries, won't reach their IP limit.

At any rate, having to choose five starters from a 6 man rotation is a good problem to have.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. As long as as Elias is delivering a 3.50ish ERa and 1.30ish WHIP, the Mariners have the luxury of taking their time with Walker and Paxton and making sure neither one is rushed back from injury. And if they do ultimately get to a situation where all six pitchers are healthy at one, it would be hard to predict who would be the oddd man out. Elias is probably on an IP limit of about 175. Walker and Paxton, with their injuries, won't reach their IP limit.

At any rate, having to choose five starters from a 6 man rotation is a good problem to have.

This...I believe Elias would stay in the rotation for the bulk of the season d/t to his performance thus far. If nothing else, it would balance out the rotation, 3 righties and 2 lefties. Young would presumably go into the long relief role until Elias hits his innings limit and then Young can slide back into the rotation towards the end of the year.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he deserves to be sent down, and fully believe that he has earned a spot in the rotation. With that being said, if one is to be sent down wouldn't it make sense to send the kid with an innings limit rather than the veteran that will continue throughout the year? Eville mentioned keeping Elias up while sending Young to long relief, which seems like the best option. With the emergence of Elias does this open the possibility of packaging a Walker/Franklin for someone like Stanton? I have always been on the side of keeping Walker, but as Elias matures it looks as if we may have quite a few solid contributors. Either way, it's great to see a possible future that includes:

1 - King
2 - Iwakuma
3 - Walker
4 - Paxton
5 - Elias

Almost isn't fare.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I don't think Elias is going anywhere even if Paxton and Walker both come back healthy. One of those two will back in the minors for this year, probably Walker

Felix
Iwakuma
Paxton
Young
Elias

I would be Ok with sending Young to the bullpen for long relief and using Walker if he's healthy.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker would have to do a lot to prove he deserves a place in the rotation over Elias.

Walker has pitched a grand total of 15 innings of MLB, and has been hurt for awhile. Let's say Walker finishes all of his rehab stuff and is ready to go. If the roster had 4 proven studs, and the front office had to choose between Elias and Walker for the 5th starter role, they would be completely incompetent to pick Walker.

If anything, Walker and Paxton would replace Rarmirez and Young.

You don't mess with a kid doing as well as Elias is.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I don't think Elias is going anywhere even if Paxton and Walker both come back healthy. One of those two will back in the minors for this year, probably Walker

Felix
Iwakuma
Paxton
Young
Elias

I would be Ok with sending Young to the bullpen for long relief and using Walker if he's healthy.

The M's have to make a decision about whether or not to exercise Young's 45-day consent waiver. He's been fine, but it will be a difficult decision given roster considerations and where he might fit when/if the Walker and Paxton come back and do well.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust Chris Young's approach of belt high 86mph fastballs. Sooner or later he's going to get shelled. He was an emergency pickup after the other two Spring Training vets left. Chris Young has no future with the team. He's the expendable one.

Felix
Kuma
Paxton
Walker
Elias

That could be amazing to watch

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust Chris Young's approach of belt high 86mph fastballs. Sooner or later he's going to get shelled. He was an emergency pickup after the other two Spring Training vets left. Chris Young has no future with the team. He's the expendable one.

Felix
Kuma
Paxton
Walker
Elias

That could be amazing to watch

Young can get away with a lack of velocity d/t his height. The trajectory of his pitchers is what usually causes hitters problems.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young can get away with a lack of velocity d/t his height. The trajectory of his pitchers is what usually causes hitters problems.

I understand that he causes some issues but 86 up is 86 up. He would have much more success if that angle was from his height and ending down in the zone. There's a reason he has the journeyman status he does. Bottom line is he's the weakest link between Elias, Paxton, and Walker.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that he causes some issues but 86 up is 86 up. He would have much more success if that angle was from his height and ending down in the zone. There's a reason he has the journeyman status he does. Bottom line is he's the weakest link between Elias, Paxton, and Walker.

No, the reason why Young has journeyman status is because he hasn't been able to shake the injury bug for the past seven years. He has about 150 career starts and when he has been healthy, he's pitched pretty well. He's no ace, obviously, but he's been solid for a guy in nthe 4th or 5th spot in a rotation. Elias, Paxton and Walker don't have a combined 20 starts between them. I don't see how you can call Young the weak link when the other three guys haven't even pitched enough to give us a decent sample set of what they are capable of. In reality, all three of them are still prospects.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the reason why Young has journeyman status is because he hasn't been able to shake the injury bug for the past seven years. He has about 150 career starts and when he has been healthy, he's pitched pretty well. He's no ace, obviously, but he's been solid for a guy in nthe 4th or 5th spot in a rotation. Elias, Paxton and Walker don't have a combined 20 starts between them. I don't see how you can call Young the weak link when the other three guys haven't even pitched enough to give us a decent sample set of what they are capable of. In reality, all three of them are still prospects.

Major League hitters will adjust to mid 80's. Paxton and Walker are potential aces. It's not hard for me to decide who I'd rather give the time and experience to.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I expect Young and Elias to be in the rotation is it is possible one of Paxton or Walker will not make it back this season. If they both do, then great and Young probably goes to the bullpen, but here is my guess for the bulk of the season.

Felix
Bear
Paxton/Walker
Young
Elias

btw I believe Young had a surgery on his throwing arm which has addressed his injury issues. I think I read that previously he was doing something different for many years to attempt to fix the issue and they went another direction this time and it appears to have fixed the issue, at least so far.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3