• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The first 18

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie Davis looked like a Rookie today. First Major League game can do that to a youngster. Let's see how he does second time around before we judge him too harshly.

Finnegan has been on a roll dating back to last season. His ERA for his last twelve outings is 1.99 after his start yesterday.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reed appears to be pitching himself back to Louisville.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny Hit & Run mentioned 0-2 counts, and subsequent results. I was just commenting on last night pitching by Finnegan and Eickhorn...I know the stats look good, but I noticed how many outs, especially strikeouts, both SP's had, with 1 (or fewer) pitches actually in the zone. Too many, IMO, to believe same pitches against a better team would get similar results. Reds and Phils can count on one hand with extra fingers the "good" hitters in that regard.. Joey Votto, for example, didn't have a single infield popup last YEAR. He is often criticised for not swinging enough, but the guy doesn't get enough credit for making the opposition get him out on strikes.

The Reds have lots of pitchers that can throw mid nighties or above. That gets them drafted, and apparently these days, it's all it takes to get to the bigs...control in general, especially control of something besides the fastball however, is almost absent from this Reds pitching staff. I'm disturbed by how many pitches, especially breaking balls, are obvious, no-swing balls, too. It's truly a wasted pitch. That also makes it tougher to get outs when everyone knows a fastball is coming on the next pitch (behind in the count way too much). It's the MAIN reason I see this as one of the worst overall pitching staffs in MLB. I won't argue the "potential" of a mid to high 90's arms, but at some point, they have to start applying things that hit more strikezone targets that turn into better results more consistently. IMO, although getting outs without throwing in the zone is better than walks, the practice leads inevitably to walks, and misses inside the zone lead to big numbers against them. I'm not talking about a 1-2 count strikeout on a splitter in the dirt, I'm talking about the 5-6-7 pitch batters with 1 strike on the zone, that get themselves out chasing fastballs 8 inches high and 4 inches inside or outside. It isn't Finnegan (or Eickhorn's) fault they pitched against arguably suspect lineups, they both did their jobs "effectively" by the metrics, but it isn't that common an occurrence, at least with the Reds, to be that effective outside the zone, that often. I've seen lots of mitts missed by 2 feet so far by Reds pitching.

Todays win is rare not only because a PH pitcher hit a long one, but they won despite giving up 6 walks. 6 hits, and 2 of them were HR, and the SP only went 3 IP... how often will THOSE planets align ? I'll always take a win or two, but generally, they aren't using a lot of methodologies common of teams that win a lot, so far.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't have a true measure until the rotation and pen go around the block a time or two. I won't even attempt to say if I saw anything positive other than taking 2 of 3 against a team that you ought to beat 2 out of 3.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't have a true measure until the rotation and pen go around the block a time or two.

How many of the current rotation pitchers are actually going to make it around the block? I'd say it's safe to assume the Reds will use 10-12 different starters this season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of the current rotation pitchers are actually going to make it around the block? I'd say it's safe to assume the Reds will use 10-12 different starters this season.
I think we can safely say Finny and Feldman will get a few starts. Bronson, of course, is an anomaly.
The guys who worry me so far are Reed and Cingrani, Reed mainly because he's screwing his chances away. Cingrani got away with crap today but I can see the Reds DFA'ing him.

Obviously Amir Garrett is going to be watched pretty closely, which brings us to Robert Stephenson.

Rookie D would hopefully get 2-3 more changes at least.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.I know the stats look good, but I noticed how many outs, especially strikeouts, both SP's had, with 1 (or fewer) pitches actually in the zone

We know the Reds swing early and often and the Phillies were dead last in 2016 NL offensive walks. It's not a coincidence that the five 2016 NL playoff teams all finished in the top half in the category.

Winning teams don't look a gift horse in the mouth and don't make a habit of being charitable.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iglesias is the only pitcher who I really like at the moment. He's so versatile. Pretty good ceiling as a starter or a closer.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iglesias is the only pitcher who I really like at the moment. He's so versatile. Pretty good ceiling as a starter or a closer.
I read some comments that say he has a pretty good trade value now, which sort of disappoints me to hear. We get a good pitcher and somebody tries to decide what we can get for him.
More prospects, I suppose.
I know it's been my dream as a fan for Pensacola to walk away with the Southern League title while the Reds win 68 games.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's been my dream as a fan for Pensacola to walk away with the Southern League title while the Reds win 68 games.

Love it

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett was phenomenal. What a way to debut. Against the Cards too :clap:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. They haven't seen him before, but nice.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd seen Garrett pitch live a couple times, but that was the first time I've seen him on TV.

He has a bit of an unorthodox throwing motion which is not always a bad thing. It's probably increases his deception and makes it harder to pick the ball up out of his hand. Didn't get a lot of swing and misses, but he kept the ball down mixing in his changeup.

Have to give some credit to Tucker Barnhart. They were in the same page throughout the outing.

Great bullpen work again, but Price is leaning hard on Iglesias and Lorenzon.

Meanwhile finding Robert Stephenson is like playing Where's Waldo? He's the only pitcher yet to see action. I'm starting to think the front office and Price have opposing views on the guy.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile finding Robert Stephenson is like playing Where's Waldo? He's the only pitcher yet to see action. I'm starting to think the front office and Price have opposing views on the guy.

Interesting question. I think they've already decided they can't trust Cingrani so one wonders what happens when Homer and Disco come back.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game by Garrett last night. Lets hope he does as well his next start. Bronson goes today. I hope the Reds get more out of him than I think they will..

Hey. Probably won't be there long, but The Reds are in 1st place by themselves. We can enjoy that this morning

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno if it was talent, planning, scouting, coaching or just a good day, but Garrett hit my critical points pretty well. He threw low strikes, and when he missed, he missed low and/ or away, not in the middle of the plate. Impressive first start, against a team that is likely better talented, coached and supported at home, than our Reds. Well done.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question. I think they've already decided they can't trust Cingrani so one wonders what happens when Homer and Disco come back

They had Cingrani warming up and decided to let Iglesias finish. I'm not sure that meant much more than Price going with the hot hand.

Cingrani may pitch himself off the roster, but I don't think Cingrani is on the hot seat yet.

It's too early to tell who will be sent out when and IF ever Disco and Homer return. By then it could be any one of about 10 guys on this staff.

Mystery injuries always seem to crop up around roster decision making time.