• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The experts say....

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but I think 2018 is the year for them to win the NFC East and make a deep playoff run.

2018 they will be losing Peters in all likelihood. He has been a huge part of this team's success. Look at their record with and without him.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 they will be losing Peters in all likelihood. He has been a huge part of this team's success. Look at their record with and without him.
Do you ever find anything positive to see about the Eagles? Are you really a fan? I know you loved the Chipster but he is gone and most likely will never be a HC in the NFL again.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, so? Of course Peters has been a very valuable player to them, but they've groomed Johnson to take over, have a decent RT in Vaitai, and also an opportunity to address the position in the 2018 draft or free agency. Not sure why losing Peters would mean they can't have a deep playoff run.

Besides, you say Peters can't be relied upon in 2017 but losing him in 2018 will be a huge loss. Not sure you can have it both ways.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When healthy and available this is a dominant line, but their is no proven depth there, if anything there is proof of lack of depth as they have performed subpar whenever they have been without Peters or Johnson.

Its a common thought process for a fan to observe the new bodies and everyone being healthy and thinking they are much improved. Fact is the second year guys are still largely unproven. Warmack is proven to be average at best. Lane Johnson obviously feels he needs some sort of help to maintain his weight and strength on a frame that is viewed as somewhat thin for his position. Either he gets the help and risks the suspension, or he goes without and perhaps isn't quite the same player. And Peters is now 35. I think that makes him the oldest lineman in the league.

They have ridiculous depth. More depth than probably any other team. Too much depth on the inside actually, if that's possible. Gonna have trouble fitting all the guys on the team.

Peters is a freak, has always been a freak, and had a tremendous year last year. If you are predicting his career is over then you can join the line of failed prognosticators that made that same bet each of the last 3 seasons.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have ridiculous depth. More depth than probably any other team. Too much depth on the inside actually, if that's possible. Gonna have trouble fitting all the guys on the team.

Peters is a freak, has always been a freak, and had a tremendous year last year. If you are predicting his career is over then you can join the line of failed prognosticators that made that same bet each of the last 3 seasons.

I agree on Peters....but predicting the end of a great career for a 35 year old Offensive Tackle is like shooting fish in a barrel. The end is near, either by injury or choice and its not far off. And you don't replace a talent like that without taking a step back.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Peters....but predicting the end of a great career for a 35 year old Offensive Tackle is like shooting fish in a barrel. The end is near, either by injury or choice and its not far off. And you don't replace a talent like that without taking a step back.

And just because we take a step back at LT doesn't mean the whole team takes a step back. The QB is supposed to be developing every year. QB play is kind of important. The defense just added a bunch of talent, that talent will have some games under their belts by the time Peters retires. Yes at some point Peters will retire. Whining about that now, serves what purpose though?

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have Walker coming back at LB. I think he will contribute and the addition of DT Walker is really nice for a UDFA.

If the front 7 gets enough pressure, our CBs may be ok.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just because we take a step back at LT doesn't mean the whole team takes a step back. The QB is supposed to be developing every year. QB play is kind of important. The defense just added a bunch of talent, that talent will have some games under their belts by the time Peters retires. Yes at some point Peters will retire. Whining about that now, serves what purpose though?

I was reacting to the person stating that he thought 2018 was going to be our year, so I pointed out one of the challenges that 2018 will bring. I agree that 2017 is now and I am and we should be much more interested in how this year plays out.

By the time this year plays out, we should have a much better idea of...
- If they have a QB or not.
- If Jeffreys will be here long term and if we want him to be.
- If we found a good Defensive end in the draft.
- If we found some corners.
- If we have a coach.
- If we have a GM.

Really though, I was observing that expectations for this team in Vegas and the National Media are not high. Somewhere around 40-1 Super Bowl Odds, Ranking 15-22, expected record of 7-9 to maybe 9-7, and trying to understand where they are coming from. I think this thread addresses why they have those expectations. Lots of uncertainty in this team right now.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the uncertainty is rather silly. Of course the WRs are uncertain. But they are also massively improved over last year. Instead of just Matthews to try to throw balls to at the position we now have Jeffery, Smith, Hollins and Gibson in addition to Matthews. However you want to quantify or qualify that improvement doesn't really matter when the position was addressed that thoroughly.

And to show it to you in another form:
Last years #1 > This years #3
Last years #2 > This years #5/6/cut
Last years #3 > cut joyfully during the season
Last years #4 > This years #5/6/cut

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the uncertainty is rather silly. Of course the WRs are uncertain. But they are also massively improved over last year. Instead of just Matthews to try to throw balls to at the position we now have Jeffery, Smith, Hollins and Gibson in addition to Matthews. However you want to quantify or qualify that improvement doesn't really matter when the position was addressed that thoroughly.

And to show it to you in another form:
Last years #1 > This years #3
Last years #2 > This years #5/6/cut
Last years #3 > cut joyfully during the season
Last years #4 > This years #5/6/cut

Torrey Smith has shown nothing over the last two years to suggest he can beat out Jordan Matthews for playing time. Matthews has 158 catches for 1800 yards and 11 TDs over the last two years. He is 24 years old and is arguably just hitting his prime.

Torrey Smith is an interesting signing, but it was a contract with just a half million guarantee. He is far from guaranteed to even make the team. Performance three years ago means almost nothing....all it got him was a half mill guarantee and a chance to compete. I consider it a great signing because of what it could become if he pans out, but the Eagles really don't know if there is anything left in the tank. The contract says it all....its a speculative signing.

The Eagles needed fresh blood at WR and they got it....4 of them. But the only one that was a serious investment was Jeffrey.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torrey Smith has shown nothing over the last two years to suggest he can beat out Jordan Matthews for playing time. Matthews has 158 catches for 1800 yards and 11 TDs over the last two years. He is 24 years old and is arguably just hitting his prime.

Torrey Smith is an interesting signing, but it was a contract with just a half million guarantee. He is far from guaranteed to even make the team. Performance three years ago means almost nothing....all it got him was a half mill guarantee and a chance to compete. I consider it a great signing because of what it could become if he pans out, but the Eagles really don't know if there is anything left in the tank. The contract says it all....its a speculative signing.

The Eagles needed fresh blood at WR and they got it....4 of them. But the only one that was a serious investment was Jeffrey.

And?

Even Jeffery isn't much of an investment. You really have no point other than to complain?

They added 4 bodies that have particular skills, 3 of which are downfield guys. That element was non-existent last season and that has nothing to do with Jeffery.

Torrey Smith wasn't a great signing, he was a solid signing to fill the X spot. And if he doesn't pan out they have two young rookies that specialize in getting deep and getting the football.

They did everything perfectly correct to improve that WRs for this season and get their young QB some actual talent to work with.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And?

Even Jeffery isn't much of an investment. You really have no point other than to complain?

They added 4 bodies that have particular skills, 3 of which are downfield guys. That element was non-existent last season and that has nothing to do with Jeffery.

Torrey Smith wasn't a great signing, he was a solid signing to fill the X spot. And if he doesn't pan out they have two young rookies that specialize in getting deep and getting the football.

They did everything perfectly correct to improve that WRs for this season and get their young QB some actual talent to work with.

Who says I am complaining. I complimented the moves and said they looked like good pickups to me. To label it with uncertainty is to understand why the Eagles are rated lower than the other teams.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who says I am complaining. I complimented the moves and said they looked like good pickups to me. To label it with uncertainty is to understand why the Eagles are rated lower than the other teams.

You mean rated higher than the other teams.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey,
I agree, that is, after we get Barkley! :D

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are OK on the OLINE when Peters hangs them up. Lane will slide over to LT and it's much easier to find quality RT and we might not even need one if Vitai grows. Let's pray for that so we can focus next year's draft on LB and RB. Definitely don't need top 15 picks to solidify those positions.

We will miss that 2nd rounder next year but do have two 3rd & 4th round picks. Let's also pray Barnett and one of rhe 2 new CBs are the real deal.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, look at the wins and losses in regards to Lane Johnson. Even with Peters in - we won with Lane in, and began losing without him, despite Peters being there.

The point is NOT that peters is not a great LT. The point is you are, yet again, not seeing the full picture and doing everything you can to put the eagles in a negative light. This is why you get the rash of chit you do on this board. What you say is not always wrong, but is most often incomplete.

Before peters we had runyan. This team has always put an emphasis on having a solid LT. There is no reason to believe we won't continue to do so after Peters, whether it is 2018, 19 or beyond.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, look at the wins and losses in regards to Lane Johnson. Even with Peters in - we won with Lane in, and began losing without him, despite Peters being there.

The point is NOT that peters is not a great LT. The point is you are, yet again, not seeing the full picture and doing everything you can to put the eagles in a negative light. This is why you get the rash of chit you do on this board. What you say is not always wrong, but is most often incomplete.

Before peters we had runyan. This team has always put an emphasis on having a solid LT. There is no reason to believe we won't continue to do so after Peters, whether it is 2018, 19 or beyond.
Tre was the LT, Runyon was a RT.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just a little less optimistic than the average fan. The experts in national media and Vegas see this as an average team...somewhere between 7 and 9 wins.

Fans on this board are seeing the potential for a much better record, and that potential is clearly there....If the new WRs pan out, AND Wentz develops, AND the new Corners don't suck, AND the rookie DE is a good player, AND no injuries or suspensions on the OL, and of course nothing else goes wrong.

For the top teams, the experts see fewer question marks. You know what your getting out of Brady and Rodgers. You know what your getting out of Julio and Antonio, and the list goes on. There isn't a whole lot of guarantees on the Eagles.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a little less optimistic than the average fan. The experts in national media and Vegas see this as an average team...somewhere between 7 and 9 wins.

Fans on this board are seeing the potential for a much better record, and that potential is clearly there....If the new WRs pan out, AND Wentz develops, AND the new Corners don't suck, AND the rookie DE is a good player, AND no injuries or suspensions on the OL, and of course nothing else goes wrong.

For the top teams, the experts see fewer question marks. You know what your getting out of Brady and Rodgers. You know what your getting out of Julio and Antonio, and the list goes on. There isn't a whole lot of guarantees on the Eagles.

What you have just described.. is the definition of a "FAN" and why you are not seen as one.

Our WR's are clearly better and improved than last year, with solid reason to be optimistic.

Our QB has a tremendous work ethic and has already exceeded expectations with no reason to think his development doesn't continue. ANY Qb usually improves in year 2, and there is plenty of evidence to suggest we have a guy that has a strong work ethic and a lot of skillset to improve with.

Our CB's simply cannot be any worse. So the expectations of 2 CB's picked in what is one of the best CB classes in awhile being better is almost a sure thing. Tons of upside to be much better. Probably in year 2 more so than this year - but even in year 1, they should be better. Now we get to find out how much.

The rookie DE only adds to a line that got tons of pressure last year. There is no reason to suggest he won't be a great addition. The fact he beat reggie whites record in college is only evidence for reason for optimism.

You are asking for sure things. By your definition, you will never be happy until after the fact. But fact remains, there is a TON of reason for any true fan to be optimistic about this team. No one is expecting a super bowl run this year. But we are optimistically able to fight for this division and make the playoffs. We are improving and headed in a good direction after Reid left our defense in shambles, and Chip Kelly in short time then killed our money situation and our offense. So it is reasonable to realize it will take a few years to build back. And everything looks like it is going in a great direction now.

Any true fan would be optimistic about what we have going on here. You see no reason for optimism, and seem to do nothing but bring out the criticism. I am a very critical thinker myself and have no problems looking past kool aid. I was a Reid supporter a the start until year 3, when I turned against him for reasons that he continued to illustrate the rest of his time here. I was a chip Kelly supporter at the start and stated I had 1 concern - which ended up being the case and the very thing that led him to decimating our best players. Point is - I'm a FAN and I believe the best and look for the best, even with a critical eye. You allow your critical eye to look for the bad only from the very start and in reality, makes you no different than a non fan. And I don't believe it is because your incapable of being a fan, as evident by your continued support of Chip Kelly despite overwhelming evidence of his ineptness at the pro level. So you know how to be a fan, you simply chose not to be. And that is why you are not accepted here as a fan.