• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The difference between Week 1's two SEC-Pac-12 match-ups:

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it is so terrible for someone who doesn’t want their rival to win. It is the reason no one takes your rivalries seriously.
Say what?????

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking off the top of your head again.

Since 2014 (the first year there were "B1G East and B1G West") the PAC has out performed the B1G East 13-12, which you admit is the greater of the two B1G conferences (and I quote "Hell, the B1G West, the clear lesser division in the B1G.") Ergo the PAC is better than the B1G West.
How the hell do you figure? Narrowing down your comparison to head to head only again?

So I can, according to you, lord it over the SEC West that none of them have EVER beat the Gophers??? 4-0 baby!!! Gophers RULE the SEC West.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UMn 4-0 vs SEC West.
UMn 10-4 vs ACC Coastal.
UMn 23-17 PAC North.
UMn 32-15-1 vs the Big 12.
UMn 294-238-23 vs B1G West.
UMn 5-3 vs ACC Atlantic.

Whoo-Hoo!!! I love this head to head thing bro!

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No duh, Georgia, won only their 2nd Title ever, hardly evidence that the East Division is usually the better division.

I used to razz a Mizzou fan at another forum about how easy of a path his team had to get to the Conf Title game. All they needed was Georgia playing the tougher slate of West Division teams and Mizzou could slip into the title game.

What do you mean no duh? You literally just said the west won the last 3 lol

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean no duh? You literally just said the west won the last 3 lol
The last 3 teams, not the last 3 titles, and I meant the last 3 before last year. I obviously know who the defending National Champs are.

Stop trying to deflect, you made the claim that the SEC East is the better of the two divisions, and no unbiased cfb fan would agree with you.

SEC East has produced far more AP Top 25 ranked teams, you realize this, right? But that's historically, if you want to show me how the East has outperformed the west recently, have at it dude, it's possible. I'm not a big SEC fan so I wouldn't know for sure, and it would depend on you, on what time frame you are referring to? Last decade? 21st Century? Last 3-4 years?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who roots for their conference doesn’t have a real rivalry.
Or wants what is best for their team over what is best for their own selfish desires?

It's fun to hate on a hated rival and to cheer against them, too. But for an example of how that is not wanting what is best for your team, BOTH the Gopher's most hated rivals Wisconsin and Iowa lost this weekend, and though I took some enjoyment in watching them lose, that's not a good thing for my team. It's better for my team if it goes 11-1 and beats 3 top 25 ranked teams, PSU, UW & Iowa. Losing to an MSU in game 4 won't hurt as much and might not even thwart their cfp hopes if they beat 3 ranked teams and go undefeated the rest of the regular season, then a win in the Conf title game would assure them a spot in the cfp. Also, going 12-0 with 4 wins over Top 10 & Top 25 teams could mean losing in the Conf title game might not bump them out of the cfp? 11-2 with only losses being to Top 10 teams with a couple Top 25 wins could get them into a NYD bowl game possibly.

Now, instead of the above rosey scenarios, all involving at least one loss, a loss to MSU could leave them with only 1, and maybe ZERO top 25 opponents to beat before going up against OSU or Mich in the title game, meaning only a Conf title would get them a NYD bowl but maybe not a cfp spot? And a loss in the Conf title game would probably drop them out of the NYD bowl consideration. With zero or only 1 win over a Top 25, which bowl game would want them?

And it's ALWAYS more satisfying to beat a rival when they are ranked and losing to your team hurts their post season situation.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was clear that I was NOT referring to head to head competition. In all of my interactions with pac fb fans over the years not once did I EVER bring up head to head matchups of their conference with the B1G. So there are years of context to back me up in this regard. To be funny I brought up Oregon's head to head record vs Minnesota, in part to show how little head to head records mean. I've done the same when I bring up Minnesota's head to head record vs Nebraska. Both examples show how little that stat means.

and funny you want to exclude nebraska's production, when I was more than willing to include Missouri's production from before they joined the SEC, same with Texas AM, Arkansas and S Car.
I don't tend to compare ANY team's production in a former conference as a part of their history while in their current conference. Unless it's in the form of: this is what they did pre-SEC or pre-Big 10.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who roots for their conference doesn’t have a real rivalry.
Not true. I root for my conference out of a sense of brotherhood; but I also get a kick out of it when Troy (which is only 40 miles or so from where I grew up) pulls off an upset over someone like Missouri, Mississippi St. or LSU, or when Appalachian St. pulls off a win over Texas A&M (mainly because I don't like Jimbo Fisher, but I do like the Mountaineers). I sometimes consider it funny when Auburn loses.

But I pull for most of the SEC teams against non-conference opponents.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speak of sissies and lo
and behold but should who
appear but Ellupo
and a Trojanfan too!

O-S-U has zero
wins in games one and two
Agin this South East bro
Cry not! Trojans have too!

What a funny duo
Nut-buds with naught to do
So bend over O-hi-O
See what a "Tro" can do!

Well I'll be damned...the gheys have rappers.

Who knew?

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UMn 4-0 vs SEC West.
UMn 10-4 vs ACC Coastal.
UMn 23-17 PAC North.
UMn 32-15-1 vs the Big 12.
UMn 294-238-23 vs B1G West.
UMn 5-3 vs ACC Atlantic.

Whoo-Hoo!!! I love this head to head thing bro!
Great record vs the Pac, when you omit USC etc. All time record is around .500 vs the Pac.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great record vs the Pac, when you omit USC etc. All time record is around .500 vs the Pac.
If you only omit USC, a win tomorrow would give UMn a 6-6 record vs the Pac South and 29-23 record vs the Pac-11. But UCLA is leaving too, so that will make it 27-22 with a win tomorrow.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you only omit USC, a win tomorrow would give UMn a 6-6 record vs the Pac South and 29-23 record vs the Pac-11. But UCLA is leaving too, so that will make it 27-22 with a win tomorrow.
They haven't left yet, so use the data vs all Pac teams instead of sugar coating to prove a point. Minnesota is an average football team at best and everyone knows it.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They haven't left yet, so use the data vs all Pac teams instead of sugar coating to prove a point. Minnesota is an average football team at best and everyone knows it.
Average? "at best" even? How do you figure? I sure in the hell hope you don't think Washington is better than average then?

What is your definition of average?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or wants what is best for their team over what is best for their own selfish desires?

It's fun to hate on a hated rival and to cheer against them, too. But for an example of how that is not wanting what is best for your team, BOTH the Gopher's most hated rivals Wisconsin and Iowa lost this weekend, and though I took some enjoyment in watching them lose, that's not a good thing for my team. It's better for my team if it goes 11-1 and beats 3 top 25 ranked teams, PSU, UW & Iowa. Losing to an MSU in game 4 won't hurt as much and might not even thwart their cfp hopes if they beat 3 ranked teams and go undefeated the rest of the regular season, then a win in the Conf title game would assure them a spot in the cfp. Also, going 12-0 with 4 wins over Top 10 & Top 25 teams could mean losing in the Conf title game might not bump them out of the cfp? 11-2 with only losses being to Top 10 teams with a couple Top 25 wins could get them into a NYD bowl game possibly.

Now, instead of the above rosey scenarios, all involving at least one loss, a loss to MSU could leave them with only 1, and maybe ZERO top 25 opponents to beat before going up against OSU or Mich in the title game, meaning only a Conf title would get them a NYD bowl but maybe not a cfp spot? And a loss in the Conf title game would probably drop them out of the NYD bowl consideration. With zero or only 1 win over a Top 25, which bowl game would want them?

And it's ALWAYS more satisfying to beat a rival when they are ranked and losing to your team hurts their post season situation.
No, you do not have rivalry if you root for them.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, with both USC and UCLA included, a win tomorrow gives UMn a 30-29 record vs the Pac-12. Was never meant to sugar coat anything, The records are as they are.

STILL gives UMn a winning record vs 4 of the 5 P5 Conferences, and the West Division of the B1G.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. I root for my conference out of a sense of brotherhood; but I also get a kick out of it when Troy (which is only 40 miles or so from where I grew up) pulls off an upset over someone like Missouri, Mississippi St. or LSU, or when Appalachian St. pulls off a win over Texas A&M (mainly because I don't like Jimbo Fisher, but I do like the Mountaineers). I sometimes consider it funny when Auburn loses.

But I pull for most of the SEC teams against non-conference opponents.
Then that is your problem, you equate a rival to a brotherhood.