• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 67 Richmond 59

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WV Mountaineers advance to 5-0 by beating the pesky Spiders of Richmond 67-59 this evening at the Las Vegas Continental Tire Invitational at the Orleans Arena. WV jumped out to an early lead helped by a swarming, pressing defense but the Spiders adapted and kept this game close throughout the contest. WV led by a slim margin of 35-31 going into halftime with Holton and Williams both collecting 2 fouls in the half and spending time on the bench. Richmond came out in the second half and stayed with WV cutting the lead to 52-50 at one point in the half. The Mountaineers got a key 3 from Jaysean Paige and some good down the stretch free throw shooting by Javon Carter to seal the win.

WV was led by Devon Williams with his 5th straight double double as he collected 12 rebounds on 9-11 shooting and 23 points. Javon Carter scores 13pts as he and Williams were the only WV players in double figures. WV was out rebounded by the Spiders 36-31. WV shoots 43% from the field while only hitting 2 of 13 behind the arc.

After 4 games of reading box scores, tonight was my first look at this WV club--I was not impressed. WV needs a point guard as Carter is not a point guard. The stupid fouls really hurt WV in this game although some of those were ticky-tack calls. Rebounding?? I can't remember the last time a WV club got out rebounded by 5. The newcomer Asa Ahmed is a good player with a lot of upside but he doesn't crash the boards and is slow on the press. The press looked good early but Richmond figured it out and was really unfazed for the most part. Had Richmond made 75% of their Free throws, they would have won this contest. Again, WV is not playing smart basketball. Tonight they were in a dog fight and the recipe was to pound the ball in to Devon Williams. We failed to do that on 3 possessions and it almost cost us the game. Maybe the biggest weakness I saw today for this team was their half court offense. If teams decide to double Devon Williams, we are hurting to put the ball in the hoop. Our guards can't just shoot it anytime they want to due to their size. They need open shots.

Nonetheless, it is hard to bitch about being 5-0 right? Happy Thanksgiving to all the Sports Hooplers and Mountaineers fans everywhere no matter where your country road has taken you!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An ugly win.

I agree with everything you wrote. The offense was terrible last night. Little to no movement. When kids were making cuts... they were walking through them.

WVU has no PG. Staten would have eaten up the Spider defense with dribble penetration. WVU has no one who can dribble penetrate... few who can score off the dribble.