• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: OU 71 WVU 52

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma beats the Mountaineers this evening by 19 points to revenge an earlier 19 point loss in Morgantown. This game was a little different in that WV was playing without Devon Williams while the Sooners had a game plan for the press. The Sooners attacked the press with quick passes for numerous easy buckets; hence, the reason OU shoots 61% for the game from the field.. OU also pushed everyone down the floor on the press which opened the backcourt up. WV still tried to press but it wasn't as effective. Once OU would beat the press, Hield wore them out cherry picking 3's. Holton, Adrian, and Macon never seemed to understand that Hield scores 18 per game--uh you might want to guard him.

Hield scores 21 including 5-7 from behind the arc. Staten scores 15 and Browne scores 12 for WV. The Mountaineers force only 13 TO's while committing 15 themselves. WV shoots 21-61 from the field for 34% while collecting 18 offensive rebounds.

WV now runs the record to 18-4 6-3 while heading home and preparing for Baylor another very difficult opponent. WV has got to score points and it starts in the paint. Points in the paint allows space for the guards to get more open shots. Right now this team is struggling to score against good defensive teams. Hopefully, Williams gets healthy and gives us some of that scoring. Macon needs to improve as well and bring offensive in the paint too. Right now, we just need to take care of our home court and feed off the crowd against the Bears. Finally, to the moron that kept sending me texts during the game every time Nathan Adrian shot the basketball--I get it. YO ADRIAN! Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country road has taken you!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Momma always said there'd be days like this.

Another similarity between this team and the Final 4 team... streaky outside shooting. Either ice cold or red hot.

Not looking forward to the Baylor game. Could get ugly...

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as I turned the game on and heard that Williams was sick and was not likely to play, I knew we were in trouble. Then the game started and immediatey, it was obvious we were in BIG trouble. WV quickly commited 8 or 9 fouls, many on the big guys filling in for Williams. I think WV had 9 or 10 fouls before the ref finally called one on OU. For the most part - OU was in total control from start to finish. The 2nd half was a little closer - but OU was up 14 at the half and WV never threatened.

The bench was horrible last night. 5-25 (20%) from the floor and 1-3 (33%) from the stripe.
As a team, WV was a meager 45% from the line - which they rarely got to.
Another Offensive nighmare - which we all fear can happen and know it will.

It was so bad, I played a game of Battleship with my 9 yr old daughter hoping if
I didn't watch, they might improve. They didn't.

It is amazing how different a team can look with just one player being absent.
Usually it is Staten. Last night, it was Williams.

Last edited by a moderator:

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one other point or question.... what the hell was going on with WV last night in their inability to get the ball? Rebounds, fights for balls, etc., seemed like the WVU players were slapping at the ball a lot but gaiing possession very few times. Even my 9 year old asked me, "Daddy, why can' they get the ball?" I responded that maybe they were all eating buttered popcorn on the bench and they forgot to wash their hands.

So seriously, did anyone see them passing the tub of corn?? :noidea:
Maybe some greased pig wrestlin' in the locker room?