• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: Oklahoma St. 73 WVU 72

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense wins games and defense loses games especially in the last 2:00 minutes of the game. Markel Brown slithered away from an out of position Gary Browne to knock down the game winner with 11.9 seconds left. WV put the ball in Staten’s hands but 1 on 4 rarely wins at the clock expires because most officials refuse to blow the whistle regardless of whether an actual foul was made or not. I will say this, WV played a hard fought game and for the most part played well. It was the little silly mistakes that got them in the end. Here is a few case in points; 1)Harris forced several bad shots today while going 3-11—why? 2) a simple end bounds play botched between Williams and Gary Browne after a bucket 3) several bonehead turnovers by Harris and Williams and 4) Watkins made a pass that looked gift wrapped for Christmas that ended in an easy dunk. Those mistakes coupled with a defense that is shaky at times and weak around the glass is why the Mountaineers came up short. Let me add, I have been critical of Huggins offensive schemes ever since he has been here but this season , for whatever reason, the offensive ball movement, shooting and penetration has been more than adequate. Maybe Ron Everhart has made a contribution in that regard.
Key Stats: After a rather cold 2nd half, WV shoots 41.6% from the field for the game, 8-21 from behind the arc, an excellent 16-19 from the FT line, 13 assts, 4 blocks, and 6 steals against 12 turnovers. Most amazingly was WV’s ability to win the battle of the glass 38-35. Scoring: Staten had 21, Henderson 20, Harris 11, and Williams 12.
Final comments: Tough loss and game this young team should have won. I didn’t like the final play with Staten. Even the Janitor knew what WV was going to do there on the last play. Harris was a huge disappointment as he failed to let the game come to him and instead forced the action too much. Staten has surprised me but I will say that he has improved his game as this season has progressed. Jawan is playing at an extremely high level and making better decisions. Let’s hope he gets some help from the other guys. Henderson played his best game of the year offensively and defensively. And lastly, if you are a player and there is only one white kid on the floor, what do you think he is out there for? AHHA –that’s right –he is Annie Oakley’s brother because he can shoot—so guard his goddamn ass. He beat your ass last year so surly you didn’t forget that. Those 9 points (3- 3pointers) out of that pencil dick didn’t help the cause. As you can see I rage and hate losing. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your road has taken you!

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll done sir. You are spot on with every single word. Great game, but stupid mistakes killed us today.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappointing loss for sure, when WVU had the two point lead with just seconds to play and let OSU run the play they wanted completely uncontested..............The team has more heart this year than last years team. This is going to be a better year!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The road took me to Vermont last night. I got lost driving in the thickest fog I have ever seen in my life. Listened to the game on Sirius/XM radio. Tony and Jay made similar remarks DIEHARD. Hate to see all these near misses piling up for this team.

Still no good wins on the year. Hope they can bounce back tomorrow night against Texas. They really need to beat a decent team to get over the hump.