• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: Kansas 83 WV 69

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you turn the ball over 9 times in one half of play, you probably are staring down the barrel of a double digit deficit. WV did just that in the first half of this game today but went into the locker room trailing by only a 43-36 margin. I think by WV making 12-14 first half free throws the game did not get out of control early as WV could only muster 22 FG attempts due to the turnovers. Keep in mind, you usually won’t win many games where you give up 43 1st half points either.
The 2nd half saw WV get within 2 points but they could get no closer as the bigger, stronger, and more talented Jayhawk squad wore down the Mountaineers. I felt like we suffered in 2 areas today: Size and Smarts. No question Kansas wanted to pound it inside and they did in the first half by hitting 13-15 shots in the paint. While WV did not protect the ball well and it cost them.
Key Stats: WV shoots 19-48 (39.6%) and a mere 6-23 behind the arc. WV ends up with 14 turnovers and got crushed on the glass 37-28. Staten had 22 points and Erin Harris chipped in 17 to lead WV in scoring. Kansas shoots 54% from the field today against a porous WV defense.
Diehard’s Did You Know Segment: Did you know that Kansas had won 110 straight games over non- ranked opponents? Better question, How many times has Devin Williams had his shot blocked this season? Seems like he has cinderblocks in his shoes.
In conclusion, this WV team has nothing to be ashamed of as I thought they competed well albeit some young mental mistakes. Let’s break that down a bit. 1) Harris cannot force shots because he is not tall enough to get his off without space ( 3 forced errors there and 1 charge). Devin Williams taking bad shots or forcing it up in the paint (3 times there), and defensive breakdown for dunks, layups or paint points ( as a team about 6 times there). So these were the things that got us today and they are consistent with all of our loses. WV needs to improve their knowledge of the game a little and they will be fine. Anybody quietly noticing how Brandon Watkins is improving? Early in the year I thought Devin Williams would be great but I am starting to warm up to Watkins becoming something special. He looks like he wants to be a ball hawking rebounder and a shot blocker. He may very well end up just that.
Finally, The officiating. WTF was the Zebra’s doing today. Again one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. They missed walks all day, easy out of bounce calls they got wrong, they called charges blocks, and they called blocks charges. It certainly seemed to keep WV from gaining any momentum. So that being said, WORST OFFICIALS in country come from the BIG 12. Seen it many times this year and in games WV was not even a part of. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country road has taken you!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Felt badly for Henderson. He looked like he just needed to slow it down a little bit. He made some uncharacteristic mistakes, and just couldn't snap out of it.

KU was putting great pressure on the outside shooters... Harris and Henderson... tempting both to take it off the dribble. I really thought Henderson would have success doing so, but I was wrong.

Happy with the fact WVU played tough and kept it close deep into the game. But, the better team won tonight.

For WVU to have a chance to win games against the likes of KU, OU, ISU and UT... it has to get good play from 3-4 guys. Not just Staten...